1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

44-47'C Idle Normal for a 478 3.2 Ghz?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Oct 19, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is 44-47'C temperature average for a 3.2 478 idle?

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Funny you should ask, my 478 2.66 which I have O/C to 3ghz also idles at that and peaks at 62C when gaming. Not happy with the gigabyte cooler I have recently fitted, so have ordered a new Zalman one. Although... I researched a bit and the 478 seems to work stable up until 95C :eek: Not sure it is good for it to run that hot though.

lisa

3. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using water cooling and still I think the temperatures are a bit warm!

I have tons of over clock potential on this 3.2 Ghz but can't really be bothered as I mostly just surf the internet and play Black and White 2 these days anyways.

I just upgraded to Water Cooling today replacing my old coolermaster somethingratherheatsink (some massive one) - to the Aquagate 01 (88 quid delivered, had to give it a go) and the temperatures are looking the same but I know i didn't install it right cause I was lazy... Redoing it tommorow with Arctic Silver 5 and patience...

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Well, let us know how you get on - I have just got a 6800GT, and learnt how to overclock, so would like to enjoy some good gaming - without worrying I am going to melt the chip!

5. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Radeon 850XT Platinum Edition (The last of the great AGPs) and just overclocked as we spoke the 3.2 to 3.52 and it seems to be running stably and gave quite a nice result in Sisoft Sandra.
    Idling at 45 to 50 now.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 2.8gHz S478 P4 runs at 3.6gHz & idles @ 30c in a warm room. < 40c usually under full load.

Using a Zalman cooler @ just 1250rpm.

:smoke:

7. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    The maximum operating spec is probably in the 90's, so I wouldn't worry too much at peaking at 62C. IMHO.

8. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knew I was doing something wrong - 3D Mark 05 nearly made the thing hit 56 C!

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I don't think you should worry too much unless you start hitting the high 70s. Even then it will still function but the lifes[pan of the chip will likely suffer: then again I've never had a cpu "wear" out on me . Its always upgrade time before the end of its lifespan. Quite a thriving 2nd hand market for rare cpus on ebay.

A p3 tualatin 1.4 (quite rare cpu designed for servers rather than domestic Pcs hasn't dipped much below the 150quid mark for over two years). I had one of these that idled at around 62 and pushed 82 under load but it was solid as a rock ( machine NEVER crashed or locked up in the two years I used it)

Even the faster northwood P4s are at a premium as people look to upgrade their older mobos for comparatively minimal outlay.

10. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a stock cooller on a Prescott aim for mid 40's, under load you really want to keep it sub 65. Use some burin-in software (like that at www.passmark.com ) to put the CPU under load, and run it for 30mins or so monitoring temps. Temps should be more or less stable after a couple of minutes but still run the test to the end

11. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. I have a S478 3ghz Intel Confidential cpu.

How good will that overclock?

12. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget that cooling the case is also a big factor in how cool your cpu is if air cooling.

13. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Well my new Zalman is now installed and load temp has decreased from 62C to 55C, not too bad, and I get a funky LED light :cool:
    lisa

14. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Yes, same temp as mine, but my P4 478 northwood 3.4ghz is 43 degress right now idle..using a SIlverstone NT03 cooler, but the cpu is right under the PSU, so temp would be less if in a bigger case..currently using the SIlverstone SG01 case, no much space for the cpu to breath though, but i don't have any temp problems since upgrading my stock cooler to the NT03, although it is quite LOUD!!!!...thinking of replacing all my case fans, including CPU one with, SilenX fans....get smae airflow but 10DB less noise on each fan, but it justified spending £45 for a 50DB drop in noise?...

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a 50dB reduction in noise? Hell yes :D .

Reducing noise by 10dB from each of 5 fans does not equal a 50dB (total) reduction, however :lesson: .

:smoke:

16. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used Arctic Silver 5 Paste instead of the generic poo and now am idling at 38-39 on Motherboard Monitor and 42.1 on the temperature probe right next to the cpu...

17. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    So what does it add up to?, and how do you add it up?

18. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10dB

19. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fan speed is (in general terms) what cases the noise. Before buying new fans try an inline resistor cable or a zalman fanmate to slow the fans down at bit. These should cost about £2 and £5 each from quietPC.com or mediapc.tv