436XDE: worth sending 720p from DVD?

yellowpostit

Standard Member
Reaction score
The 436 has this "Dynamic HD Converter" that turns interlaced into 768p (presumably it scales it up as well). I'm thinking of going for a Denon 1920, which can output 720p over HDMI, but is there any point in sending a progressive signal if the 463's media box does it's own conversion?

How has anyone else got it set up? Can you turn off the conversion in the media box? Or is the media box the best place to convert, and can you send 720i from the Denon?

Cheers

The guys on av science seem to think sending it interlaced is best as it sorts out the judder, they think it tries to process the signal twice even when sent progressive.

Don't send it 720p as you will then be scaling in your player and in the screen, you will probably get some nasty double scaling artifacts going on, or the image will look a lot softer.

So try interlaced and progressive, make sure you have set the modes on the screen correctly and see which you like better.

gizlaroc said:
...make sure you have set the modes on the screen correctly and see which you like better.

Cheers gizlaroc. Do you mean that I can changes modes (P <> I) on the 436 as well as the DVD player?

I don't think it gets converted twice and am sure the deinterlacer of your DVD player is better than the 436. The manual states "For the I-P Mode, the individual parameters are not selectable for the following input signals: 480p, 720p@60Hz, 576p, 720p@50Hz, 1080p@24Hz", which implies that if a progressive signal is input then it will be passed through.

I guess the I-P mode is great when used with normal TV signal but for sources with a scaler I'd use the scaler. You can obviously have different settings on different Inputs.

Yeah I agree with that normally, but, alot of the guys on avs have been saying they are getting rid of the judder when going in interlaced, it is as if the panel is doing something to the progressive signal other than just scaling it.

Download the manual and have a read of it, you will see there are options that can only be used when in interlaced, this will give you a good idea what to have a play with when it arrives.

on my PDP 506XDE and Denon 2910 I've been using the HDMI out at 720p. The player your talking about does 480p/720p/1080i. Personally I find 720p to be the best.

kev777 said:
on my PDP 506XDE and Denon 2910 I've been using the HDMI out at 720p. The player your talking about does 480p/720p/1080i. Personally I find 720p to be the best.
720p(1280x720) is almost native for the 506(1280x768) and should look very good, I think 480/576i(HDMI) will look good too. The 436(1024x768) has to downscale 720p so 480/576p or 480/576i would be better for the 436 I think.
I'm waiting for a 506XDE(coming monday) and will try both 720p and 480/576i(HDMI) with my Pio 868.

Almost is not native though, so you are scaling in the screen and in the player.

You can give a 1024 screen 1024, but you then have to adjust the H and V size until you manage to turn the processing off completely, it will be very obvious when it happens.
From reports on the 435 and 505 you can only get the processing off when you feed it 56.25Hz, the screens internal frame rate.

On my PHD6 to get the processing to turn off with 50hz I am left with small black bars on either side of the screen, probably only a couple of pixels each side, however if I adjust the H size to get rid of them the screen looses that extra sharpness I get with 1:1 mapping and bypassing the internal processing.
Just because you are feeding a display native rate does not mean you have it right.

gizlaroc said:
Almost is not native though, so you are scaling in the screen and in the player.

You can give a 1024 screen 1024, but you then have to adjust the H and V size until you manage to turn the processing off completely, it will be very obvious when it happens.
From reports on the 435 and 505 you can only get the processing off when you feed it 56.25Hz, the screens internal frame rate.

On my PHD6 to get the processing to turn off with 50hz I am left with small black bars on either side of the screen, probably only a couple of pixels each side, however if I adjust the H size to get rid of them the screen looses that extra sharpness I get with 1:1 mapping and bypassing the internal processing.
Just because you are feeding a display native rate does not mean you have it right.
I know this gizlaroc. But to get the best out of the 43/50 XDE with a DVD player through HDMI (main topic), I still think my previous post is about right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom