Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

436XDE vs 506XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Norbert666, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am considering one of the two Pioneer; 43" or 50" - Looking to buy this weekend.

TV-wise, I have Telewest cable.

We only sit about 3m from the TV which will be mounted on the wall which is below the recommended distance for a 50".

Will the 50" look poor with the cable TV signal?

Anyone have any experience with comparing the two screens?

Thanks

James

2. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Norbert666,

do you mean the Pioneer 436XDE 506XDE or the Panasonic 42PV500 50PV500?

I sit 4 meters away from my 436XDE and that sometimes feels like I'm too near. I would have thought a 50" at 3 meters is way too close.

3. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I have 2.5 meters and I'm seriously thinking about buying something bigger than 50". So...

Everybody is different. Some people like to get close, others not.

Where do you like to sit in cinema? In the front row? In the middle? In the back row?

4. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Yeah I guess your right, everyones different, I like it up the back :eek: of cinema that is :thumbsup:

5. rtoonen

rtoonen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same to me here, we switches from a 42" model to a 50" and we have only 3 meters viewingdistance. The picture is great even on cable.

4 meters for a 42" is way too far (my two cents)..

cheers.

6. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Just accurately measured the distance, I'm 3.5 meters away from the screen. what are the recommended distances? Not that it really matters as they are as they say, recommended.

7. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Recommended distances are:

<2m - 13-20"
    2.5-3m - 28-32"
    3-4m - 36-42"
    <4m - 42-50"

It's the Pioneer I am looking at, I'll edit the original post :eek:

8. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Recommended by whom? Those recommendations do look strange!

Here's a calculator for recommended viewing distances:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Just for gigs and giggles: For 3.5 meters viewing distance THX recommend a screen size of 100"! For my 2.5 meters THX recommends 65".

Honestly, I find THX a bit extreme, although I'm seriously considering following their recommendation.

Obviously you can get so near to such big screens only with good HD content. With SD content you need to move back quite a bit, otherwise you'll be distracted by the poor resolution and other picture shortcomings. With good HD stuff you can get quite near, though, especially if you have a true 1080p display.

9. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What HiFi

10. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Yeah, I guessed so when I read that you found 43" too big at your viewing distance... :D

11. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Here we go again, after stating I accurately measured the distance :rolleyes: that's if a segment of Hoover pipe which I thought was about a meter in length constitutes accuracy, I remeasured with my tape measure after trying for 15 minutes to get a stone out of the shed keyhole lock which my 2 year old had jammed in :devil:

Anyway, I'm 2.8 meters away from the screen, so I take back everything I said, although the distance calculator for THX looks a bit ominous.

12. WR Blue

WR Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read this thread I plumped for the 506xde that is positioned exactly 11 ft from my end of the sofa. I have to be honest and say that the screen size is fantastic, however, I can detect the pixel patern. When I move to the other end of the sofa I am 14 ft away and the picture looks very clean. My recommendation is to resist the tempation to go for the 506xde unless everyone watching can sit a minimum of 14ft away. Unfortunately, this temptation is a very hard one to resist.

13. bix

bix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm 4m from my 436, any bigger would have looked a bit daft on my wall.

The picture is great without having to move my head or eyes too much!

14. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    After about 6 weeks even a 50" screen will feel small and you will wish you had just saved that little (or alot) more and bought that 62" monster.
    Just buy what you feel will look right and what you will be happy living with, ive gone for the 436 because we had a 42" Hitatchi before and thought...(well the wife thought i just obeyed ) that the 50" would be to big for your living room.
    I realy dont think screen size and viewing distance should realy come into things,it all depends on whether you want that truly cinematic experience, if so then bigger is better im my book :)

15. Mighty Chipster

Mighty Chipster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I personally am going for the 50"

Just go with what you feel - size and distance are irrespective because if you have pixel fluctuation on a 43" yes you will get it on a 50" but it will be no worse!

16. UrbanSurvival

UrbanSurvival

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently getting a plasma and will be opting for a 50". We sit 15' away and after demoing a couple I would say the 50" would be fine at 8-9' away. I'm replacing a projector which has an 80" diagonal screen, unfortunately cant afford that 65" screen yet. Go as big as the room (or wallet) will allow would be my advice. The Pioneer has an attractive and slim bezel so dont think you'd regret it. If you do I'll take off yer hands! :D

17. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Wish I'd gone for the 50", I sit about 9 feet away and i could now buy the 50" for almost what I paid for the 43".

18. WR Blue

WR Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigmax & Attu,

Are you sure you are not misleading people? It's fine to encourage folks to go bigger and bigger but what about the threshold beyond which pixels actually become visible. Is a 60" screen at 9" such a cimematic orgasm when you are looking at a confusing field of dots?

19. kev777

kev777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm 5.5 m away watching a 506 which is just about right. You would not want to be 3m away from a 506 ESPECIALLY with sky.

Get the 436 and buy some other goodies instead!

20. UrbanSurvival

UrbanSurvival

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D I think the moral here is find a demo room that allows you to view DVD / freeview / Sky at the same viewing distance as at home. That's what I did and know that the 50" at 15' is just fine. Even when moving closer pixels and noise weren't an issue until about 8' away - but didn't try sky at this range so that could well be different. All depends on viewing habits, content and personal preference i suppose.

21. IDkipper

IDkipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

i guess it depends on the quality of your sourse. HD will be fine, Upscaled DVD prob ok, Sky+ less so, cable may be worse, other prob worse again.

22. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Don't think I am misleading anyone. I don't think a 50" (60"??) screen at 9 feet can be interpreted as a confusing field of dots - even on sky ! Many people using this forum will tell you that a 50 inch screen at this distance is perfectly acceptable and some people will say no. We are all different in looking for our cinematic orgasms!!

23. Albertoo

Albertoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hallelujah!! Thanks Mr Blue - this is exactly the honest quote I have been wanting to read in 2 months of trawling this forum. I have been boring myself something crazy thinking over the 43" vs the 50" from Pioneer and you have made my decision easy. I sit (eyeball to screen) 11.5 feet from my current TV and have found it hard to choose which screen size would be best. Yes I agree, bigger is always the stronger pull - but not, no way, to the sacrifice of picture quality. HD is coming, and yes, viewing distance can be reduced further still once its 'properly' launched (HD content will be availble from various means this year, but not a great deal of good stuff availble from actual broadcasts, IMO, in 2006, world cup included)

Thanks for your help, a 43 xde-ing I will go! ;)

24. IDkipper

IDkipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It is purely subjective. My506 is 14ft away but I would pesonnally be happy to watchfrom 10ft. With my setup and a tape measure I cannot dicern pixels at 10ft when watching sky today and I have 20/20 vision.

You really need to form your own opinion regardless of what is posted here!

I am glad that I waited for the the sixth gen Pioneer as I must admit that I was disappointed with the image on thwe 505XDE when compared to the 435XDE when I reviewed the at John Lewis a year ago.

25. spchannell

spchannell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 506 is 11ft from couch and the picture is perfect - wouldn't be without it and my wife has always told me that bigger is better ;)

26. Albertoo

Albertoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Kipper/Spchannel

Can you confimr for me the viewing distances from eyeball to screen that you have please? And whether you truely dont see any artifacks or pixels at 11 feet (eyeball to screen) when watching cable tv. I would be very grateful please as the other lads post seemed to say that the pixels are clearly visible beneath 14ft

Ta

Al

27. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Pixels may be visible under 14 feet with SD/ED screens. But surely not with HD screens. I can't see SDE (screen door effect = pixel structure) at 5 feet from my 50" Panasonic HD plasma.

28. Mighty Chipster

Mighty Chipster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have a 506xde and I sit around 3.5m away from the screen with no problems at all.

Sky+ and DVD viewing is spot on with pixel or viewing issues.

However, I have a pretty decent cable running from Sky+ box to Pio media box and a high quality HDMI cable from DVD player also to media box - if that makes any difference at all!

29. Albertoo

Albertoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies madshi and chipster

I guess my problem is I havent actually seen the screen, and need to go look at one witha tape measure in my pocket :)

3.5m - is that eyeball to screen? I believe that decent cables with definatley make a difference, and also HD will look immaculate once its properly broadcast (ie with lots of content, not just the odd bit) and could then be viewed from 9 ft.

How does the 50 inchers look in your living rooms? Dominant or pleasing?

30. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I have it for 2 months now, watching at 7 feet. And just yesterday I decided that it's much too small for my taste. So my next screen will be bigger.