436XDE Screen Burn Advice direct from Pioneer!

Vipers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Been avidly reading these forums for afew weeks now,doin my research and I'm ready to take the plunge. It was always between the the Pioneer PDP-436XDE and the Panny TH65PV500, but it looks like the Pioneer is going to be the one for me, although I must say after going to the Comet in Stevenage yesterday where both screens sit side by side, although the 436XDE had a more vibrant and clearer picture running the Comet HD demo it did seen to suffer from more screen noise than the Panny, it seemed that although the picture seemed flatter on the Panny it helped smooth out any problems, I suppose it could just be how they are set up, maybe too much brightness and contrast on the Pioneer.
Anyway my two problems with Plasma's has always been screen burn and the lack of a 1920x1080 screen defination, now apparantly that resolution on anything under a 50inch + screen is someway off, so I thought I'd e-mail Pioneer about the screen burn problem and pass it on for anyone else who's concerned about it, This is their reply :-

Thanks for your email.

Screen burn used to be a problem with the early plasma screens, with recent
screens the phosphors within the screens are more resistant to screen burn and also they recover better from an extended period of over excitement.

The screen does offer a gaming mode and this reduces the overall brightness a bit to also reduce the affect of burn or after image.

In normal mixed gaming and regular TV use you will be fine, even if you have the exactly the same image on the screen for a whole weekend the screen would be fine, but you should avoid displaying exactly the same image 24 hours a day for weeks on end.

During the first 100 to 200 hours it is best to avoid extended periods of
gaming, a few hours at a time but not much more than that, once the screen has 'beded in' then you can do almost anything that you want.

Regards.
Customer Relations
PIONEER GB LIMITED

This response is provided in good faith but Pioneer GB Ltd cannot warrant the
accuracy or completeness of information given, its suitability for any
particular purpose and it may contain technical or typographical errors. All
liability of Pioneer howsoever arising is expressly excluded to the fullest
extent permitted by law.

So that helped ease my fears, so here is what I'm buying in the next week or so, any comment would bee very welcome :-
Pioneer PDP-436XDE
Yamaha DSP-AX757SE
Denon DVD 1920
Running on my Bose Speakers

Thanks,
Vipers :thumbsup:

Thanks for that post vipers, i'm in the same postion as you and well order mine next week too.

Thanks Vipers.
I have my 436 on order after many weeks of flipping between Plasma and LCD. The image retention/screen burn was my biggest fear as I play a lot of video games.

Nice to see actual confirmation from someone at Pioneer :)

I've ordered mine with TV and Video Direct as they're as cheap as most places and came recommended on these forums.
You can check them out here http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/index.php

All,
I have seen an add on eBay where the TV is going for £2299, although the delivery is £89 its still the cheapest I have seen ...

"http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Pioneer-43-Plasma-TV-PDP-436-XDE-HD-Ready-Digital_W0QQitemZ5817990032QQcategoryZ11073QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"

vipers said:
Hi Everyone,
Been avidly reading these forums for afew weeks now,doin my research and I'm ready to take the plunge. It was always between the the Pioneer PDP-436XDE and the Panny TH65PV500, but it looks like the Pioneer is going to be the one for me, although I must say after going to the Comet in Stevenage yesterday where both screens sit side by side, although the 436XDE had a more vibrant and clearer picture running the Comet HD demo it did seen to suffer from more screen noise than the Panny, it seemed that although the picture seemed flatter on the Panny it helped smooth out any problems, I suppose it could just be how they are set up, maybe too much brightness and contrast on the Pioneer.
Anyway my two problems with Plasma's has always been screen burn and the lack of a 1920x1080 screen defination, now apparantly that resolution on anything under a 50inch + screen is someway off, so I thought I'd e-mail Pioneer about the screen burn problem and pass it on for anyone else who's concerned about it, This is their reply :-

Thanks for your email.

Screen burn used to be a problem with the early plasma screens, with recent
screens the phosphors within the screens are more resistant to screen burn and also they recover better from an extended period of over excitement.

The screen does offer a gaming mode and this reduces the overall brightness a bit to also reduce the affect of burn or after image.

In normal mixed gaming and regular TV use you will be fine, even if you have the exactly the same image on the screen for a whole weekend the screen would be fine, but you should avoid displaying exactly the same image 24 hours a day for weeks on end.

During the first 100 to 200 hours it is best to avoid extended periods of
gaming, a few hours at a time but not much more than that, once the screen has 'beded in' then you can do almost anything that you want.

Regards.
Customer Relations
PIONEER GB LIMITED

This response is provided in good faith but Pioneer GB Ltd cannot warrant the
accuracy or completeness of information given, its suitability for any
particular purpose and it may contain technical or typographical errors. All
liability of Pioneer howsoever arising is expressly excluded to the fullest
extent permitted by law.

So that helped ease my fears, so here is what I'm buying in the next week or so, any comment would bee very welcome :-
Pioneer PDP-436XDE
Yamaha DSP-AX757SE
Denon DVD 1920
Running on my Bose Speakers

Thanks,
Vipers :thumbsup:

I really would take this with a small pinch of salt.
Whilst screen burn is something I've not seen (my H 7200 seems bombproof :thumbsup: ) there are reports of screenburn recently, on this very forum.
Whilst I myself am dubious about screenburn nowadays, I thought I should balance things a bit.
IMO, buy a plasma, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

Also, a lot of people confuse screen-burn with image-retention. Screen-burn is permanent but image retention can disappear within a few hours of continuous moving images. I had some image retention, but it disappeared after a few days (the National Geographic logo!!!!!!!!), but I only watch my TV a couple of hours a day.

It was purely my fault and not the Pioneer's (as I was tweaking settings on the Crystalio).

Doc

Hi Vipers,

I've ordered mine from my local Sevenoaks store as i was buying a whole lot of kit and got a good deal on it £2450.

Hi HarryW,

Sounds like a good deal, When are you expecting delivery, I've been ringing around today, there doesn't seem to be alot of stock about and definately a shortage of the swivel stands. It'd be great if you could let us know your first impressions when you recieve it,

Thanks,
Paul.

Of course - the big test would be if you did get screen burn.

I cannot see Pioneer replacing the set... :eek:

This is a completely different response to the one I got when I asked the same question on the 435XDE.

I was told it could happen and so I returned mine.

Gary

HI,

I so much hope you DID not buy the 436 or the 506.............

After 30 mins of the 436 internal DVD player menu being left on YOUR PLASMA IS BURNT FOREVER.....

Watch National geographic for a couple of hours and the same thing..........

NOW be afraid be very afraid to buy one........

The new screens are soo bright that this is causing a problem......

Pioneer are awear of this....

NOW just in case you feel you wish to respond with a "oh no it doesn't" believe me it does! have now got 2 sets with a burn

If anyone reads my other threads you will see I post mainly in the crt pj forum - HOWEVER I have also had plasmas since the very first £10K were available and also I have had almost every well known brands and models here for testing in some form or another.....

ON another note - I would not pre pay from any of the main stores anymore Comet, Dixons etc - they all have sales on the floor and are all announcing low turnovers.

Currently pioneer rep is looking into replacing both units.......

This is a real shame as in the early days pioneer were the best looking and best picture quality.

the recent pioneers have im afraid been a massive let down.... the image quaility has been poor, over bright and digital glitches.

If you already have one then just be a bit careful, and yes as the screens "bed in" the burn issue is less of a problem but really the run in cycle should be done prior to leaving the factory!

Oh, and for those of you who are unsure about all this .....

Go to comet etc and see it for yourself!

only on the 436 506 ALL the others are fine.....

Now showing near you!

Bloody hell, why can't these things be straight forward, I thought I'd done my research made my mind up and am now looking to order my 436 then you read a post like this and now I'm having doubts again, anyone else been suffering from screen burn on the 436?
Thanks for letting us know Madmrh, that's what these forums are all about, you can never get enough info.
Cheers,
Vipers.

I think he is scare mongering mate - maybe he has a hidden agenda

ON another note - I would not pre pay from any of the main stores anymore Comet, Dixons etc - they all have sales on the floor and are all announcing low turnovers."
:rolleyes:

Had my 436XDE for 2 weeks now, set the picture up via the DVE disk I bought and have treated it more or less like a normal crt tv. It's on from morning till night most days and I've never encountered screen retention/burn as yet.

Out of all the posts from people who have bought a 436/506, how many have suffered screen burn? None I'm aware of but MadMrH should know better, he's seen thousands of them :rotfl:

I so much hope you DID not buy the 436 or the 506.............

After 30 mins of the 436 internal DVD player menu being left on YOUR PLASMA IS BURNT FOREVER.....

Watch National geographic for a couple of hours and the same thing..........

NOW be afraid be very afraid to buy one........

We could really do without postings like this, free speech or not, it's obviously a load of B******s.

I think this guys bought a nice cheap 42" Tiny plasma and he's a little peed off :oops:

I think MadMrH has had the unfortunate experience of seeing many poorly set-up plasmas. As long as you follow the general advice on this forum (e.g. set your contrast to <25 for the first 200 hours), you will not have anything to worry about.

Most plasmas seen in high street stores are so poorly set-up. No matter which plasma you have, if you take it out of the box and whack up the contrast and brightness, you will have problems.

Also MadMrH mentioned screen-burn at 30 minutes. This is more likely to be image-retention which can be corrected after a few hours of continuous moving images.

Doc

kamaran said:

Yeah - he has lost his Pioneer account!

The does seem to be more afteburn (which does disapeer) but as far as picture quality 'It is the best from Pioneer so far'

kamaran said:

Mmmm!

YES - I want you all to buy from me, just I so can have you all turn up with your burnt screens because I need that stress!

or maybe I was just trying to help you.

Anyway

the national news or financial press have all these details so I wont bother to go into the details......

My advice is to wait till you here that deliveries cant be made due to sell out of stock, one month later stock in and with a bit of luck the probs are fixed!

Oh look some stores already have "no stock available"

maybe its started already.

I paid about £10k for my first plasma, and have had many here at home. At work in the last 3 months we have sold/installed over 100 LCD/DLP projectors 50 plasma and 1 CRT projector. We also installed the first 50 NEC LCD tv's (plasma style cases)

Think what you like, say what you want, it IS a free country

I will not rise to calls of "B******T" and abuse that I own a tiny plasma. those who shout like that will never remove the blinkers.....

Just in case anyone would like to know.
If you do have screen burn SOME plasmas have a burn reduction system which is to display WHITE on the full screen for hours at a time, others try and flash BLACK WHITE on 5ish sec intervals, either will help just in case people bought an e bay burnt screen.....

or maybe I was just trying to help you
What?
NOW be afraid be very afraid to buy one

Do you think this sort of statement helpful? Telling people to be afraid to buy one? I may be bias to the Pioneer but I still think that statement is a load rubbish, blinkers or not.
I will not rise to calls of "B******T" and abuse that I own a tiny plasma
I apologise for this remark, it was a little childish, I was just annoyed that someone would make such a statement that they should be Afraid to buy, be it a Pioneer or anything else.

I have a 506 on order,am I concerned,not really but maybe MadMrH can attach some images backing his screenburn claims if he wants to help me so much.

the 505 is fine as is every other plasma I has ever seen

EXCEPT the 436 and 506 - these need to be looked after and NOT left with the kids to play and leave an image on.

THIS is how I am hearing most are being damaged.

Check through your DVD manuals - most you can turn OFF the logo screens or change them to BLACK.

do what YOU can to help.

my BOLD statement about "be afraid" may have seemed harsh to some but you know what at least people have stopped and paid attention, ONLY those 2 screens seems to have issues and that is ONLY because people dont know any better than to leave a static image on them..........

The truth is that Panasonic, toshiba, nec I have NEVER had a problem with maybe they run in the sets prior to sale? I dont know but maybe and if so that helps.

Dont stop yourself from buying a pioneer just treat it with more care than the others.

Maybe the more commercial units go through a different run in cycle in the factory.

Now, is screen retention a prob with HD panels in general?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom