436XDE and HTPC

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by pd33, Mar 7, 2006.

1. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I've searched around but can't seem to find the "summary" of the apparent issue with 436XDE (or perhaps all pioneers) and Media Centers/Home Cinema/home Theatre PCs.

Something about 1:1 mapping? In reality what does this mean..a "not as good as it could be" picture? When using desktop? Why only desktop?

I was thinking of getting one of these as my DVD player for my nice new shiny system is an old Phillips DVD recorder and I like the idea of upscaling etc. etc. but only if it isn't limited in some way by the Pio.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this, hopefully some Pio 436XDE owners out there can share their experiences of this.

Paul

2. jjvdb

jjvdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All I can tell you is dat when using the front VGA connector your (desktop) image has an 1280x720 resolution. When using one of the HDMI connector on the back (with a DVI to HDMI-cable) the desktop image has a resolution of 1216x684 which looks a bit crappy. When using 1280x720 the border isn't displayed. But the good thing is HDMI image is much more vivid and has more contrast when using MCE.

3. rm010

rm010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have my HTPC connected via a DVI to HDMI cable and I've got no issues with overscan, etc. I run at a resolution of 1280x720.

4. jjvdb

jjvdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've tried a lot of things, but I've never been able to use 1280x720 with HDMI. What kind of graphics card do you use? I have a nVidia 6600GT.

5. simonplant

simonplant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an Nvidia 6600GT (Sapphire heatpipe silent version) running at 1280x720 on our Pio 436XDE, no problems at all via a DVI -> HDMI cable.

I'm using the 81.98 drivers.

Si.

6. jjvdb

jjvdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Strange, when using DVI->HDMI I must use the overscan option to sizedown to 1216x684 or else part of the image isn't displayed. Same drivers, same graphics card, same TV. :(

7. rm010

rm010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mine is an ATI Radeon 1600. Only point on this one is that if you use the ATI drivers you need to reset the resolution EVERY time you reboot. I use the Omega drivers with Powerstrip and it takes care of this for me.

8. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    simonplant may be happy with the overscan (or have not noticed) ?

9. jjvdb

jjvdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, I mistaked simonplant for rm010. Two different users. Well, I have an overscan issue in 1280x720. Gotta size down to a lower res. to see my desktop completely. Other than that, I'm happy. At least it's better than using the front VGA-port.

10. lansalot

lansalot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, I'm confused:

"I use an Nvidia 6600GT (Sapphire heatpipe silent version) running at 1280x720 on our Pio 436XDE, no problems at all via a DVI -> HDMI cable.
    I'm using the 81.98 drivers."

I'm a little unsure what this means - Pioneer's site says the panel is 1024x768 - are you only getting 720 vertical, and if so how is that manifesting itself (ie, loss of pixels, black border etc). Was there a difference by outputting via the DVI-HDMI cable as opposed to using the PC input? What size desktop did you get over the PC input?

Why not just run PC through standard VGA cable at 1024x768 - what happened then?

Was almost sure this was the TV I wanted, but the HTPC thing is a big consideration for me (damn you, 436SXE!). If I can't get a decent desktop, that might well be a killer.. :(

11. rm010

rm010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The 438XDE is a great TV, I use it with my HTPC and it works a treat. The resolution issue is simply due to the panel itself not having square pixels, and therefore has a native resolution of 1024x768. However, the media box scales for you so when you feed a resolution of 1280x720 it displays perfectly. You will see oodles of feedback in the forums on the merits of a perfect pixel match between panel and PC. In a nutshell you can't get a perfect match on this TV, but from my firsthand experience it really has a picture to die for. Go for it is what I say, I haven't regretted it one bit.

12. lansalot

lansalot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for that.

However, thinking more on this - have you tried any big-screen gaming with it? Reason I ask is that a few games I'm into aren't selectable in resolution beyond that standards, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024 etc. How do they cope in that situation? If fed a 1024x768 signal, do you just let the games do their thing and let the tv get on with making a bit of a weird show of it, or do you pull some other trick?

Sorry for all the questions - I've never had to look into something so much before buying. For £2k, I just don't want to screw it up :)

13. simonplant

simonplant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I have noticed, but since we never view the desktop its not an issue. The HTPC is running MCE 2005 and is never doing anything else other than running in that interface. As such, whenever viewing any content on it, the overscan has never been an issue.

I've never used the pio as a "computer monitor" per se, so can't comment on its use as a gaming pc etc.

Bottom line, its a fantastic screen, we're happy with the choice we made and are loving the MCE 2005 HTPC and the pio 426xde.

Si.

14. rm010

rm010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    For big screen gaming you need the right setup, like to have a mouse and keyboard with great response rates. I would say for me that the image looks great, but being seated in a nice comfy sofa does bugger all for my gaming finesse. If you want a gaming rig, get one of those (wish I could afford one after the plasma and HTPC), or a nifty new console like the xbox360 which no doubt looks marvellous on a 436xde. So no matter how good it looks, there is no substitute for a proper setup with a nice desk, chair, keyboard, mouse and a monitor. Nuff said :D

15. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Well it displays perfectly apart from the 200 odd lines of vertical resolution that you are losing! That's over 20%. It may be a jolly nice TV but I think it's a scandal that the HD Ready branding people bowed to the TV manufacturers & accepted as HD Ready TV's that cannot display the minimum HDTV resolution of 1280x720.

16. jjvdb

jjvdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For big screen gaming I would advise the XBOX360 :thumbsup:

17. paulpenny

paulpenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the 506XDE so my resolution is 1280x768. I have an ATI graphics card and have not been able to get it to work well with the DVI->HDMI connection. I use powerstrip to set it to 1216 x 696 at 50hz. This eliminates overscan entirely and gives me all of my desktop.

The pio media box takes this resolution and reports it as 750p

The picture is very good for DVD'd and xVid stuff. The freeview tv picture is ok except for sport where there is a real problem with image lag. I am pretty sure this is to do with getting the corrrect timings set up for the screen. If I play recorded football back via my xBox360 to my LG LCD screen connected via RGB scart it looks fine.

The VGA connection gives an exact 1280x768 resolution without any overscan.

The screen is fantastic but setting up a MCE PC is where the difficulty lies. Before these media pc's can really be considered home entertainment products they need to be much more geared to easy installation particularly in respect of screen connections.

18. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    HDMI will use overscan no different to any other input connection as mentioned somone just didnt notice. Its one thing i find rather annoying and if your using Nvidia hardware just look within the HDTV options then use the on-screen tool for "UNDERSCAN"

Its here you stretch a Nvidia logo to your screen corners, this represents your PC output exactly so that material isnt lost in the overscan process.

I recently optiomised my HTPC and when comparing my DVD player i found the the display was shockingly bad with overscan. In a thread i done someone @ OCUK tested their Pioneer and found it not just as bad as the V40 but still for you guys your probably loosing a couple of cm each side with DVD playback.

On ati hardware a simular option is hidden within the HDTV tools worth a try to see how she copes...