436XDE and Dead Pixel

Demon

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a 436XDE last week, and after a couple of days I suddenly noticed 2 dead pixels, well 2 dead green sub-pixels to be exact...

So I phoned up Comet, and got a like for like replacement...

This arrived today, and lo and behold, this one has 1 dead green sub-pixel and 1 dead red subpixel...

Fortunately, being Comet, they didn't hesitate to order me another...

Anyone else with a 436 got any???

I could live with it, its hardly noticeable from 4-6 feet, but I can still see it, since I know its there.... and the price of it.. on a £200TFT, fair enough, but not a £2.5K TV...

:(

I have One on my 506XDE. It's in the bottome left corner and I can't see it from viewing distance.

Had a look at a 436XDE on display at my dealer a few days ago. It had just been setup and almost simultaneously we both noticed, I think two, adjacent pixels stuck on red just below dead centre.

Very noticeable and it put me right off I can tell you.

My first Panny PHD8 had 2 dead (stuck on black) and unlit on blue screens.....even if the manufacturer says its not a fault it obviously is.....its pot luck. Keep going until your happy.....its nice to know they are all working. My second unit is pixel perfect.

I have a 506, what is the best way to check for dead pixels? ie, Is it when running tv programmes or can the set be tested with a fixed colour screen?

I use my LG dvd player screen. It's plain blue, so easy to notice up close.

Get it on a black screen (shows stuck lit pixels) and then a white screen (as this makes all the pixels light you should on close inspection be able to see the dead/unlit ones) I personally think the worst ones are stuck on....you can really see them on a black screen. I got a plasma in the end because I thought you were less likely to get dead/stuck pixel issues....seems this is not the case. If you order on line then you have 7 days to return the unit for any reason, so check it over straight away and if a pixel fault bothers you get it sent back.

zippydoo said:
I'll give it a good look when I get home, Thanks

if you hav'nt noticed anything yet why look? just anither thing to start worrying about. ;)

dereks said:
if you hav'nt noticed anything yet why look? just anither thing to start worrying about. ;)

So you don't notice it when its too late to return it ;)

Gutted...Got my 436xde last week and was watching football today when i noticed what i thought was a bit of dust or somthing stuck to the screen. To my horror it's a pixel thats stuck on red. Can i send the screen back because of this ?

i believe if its only 1 pixel you cant change it but you could try youre retailer they might change it

Can't see any on my 436xde. Checked using black screen on unused input is this the best way?

My Sony PSP has loads tho!

anticlaus105 said:
Can't see any on my 436xde. Checked using black screen on unused input is this the best way?

certainly not, black screen turns all pixels off (well as close to off as poss.), if any are stuck you'd see them but not if they are dead. you need a scroll through black white red green and blue to be sure, but if you cant see any why worry?

Tried a video that flashed red blue n green very quickly on my psp to free up stuck pixels. Didn't work cos they were dead but others reported success. Wonder if such a video would work on a plasma with stuck pixels.

I'm running my screen at low brightness at mo so I’m guessing it would be harder to spot a dead pixel like this. Would like to know cos would swap screen if I found too many. Haven't noticed any with normal viewing yet tho.

Will check when my PC cable comes so I can set screen up properly. Fingers crossed!

After having a good look at my 436xde, i've managed to find another dead/stuck pixel, in red and there's also another darker, but smaller maybe sub/half pixel just to the right of that too. So in all i've now got three.
I rang the firm who i bought it from and they said i have to contact pioneer's technical department to get an engineer to visit and if the engineer can't sort the problem out then i have to email/call them again.
I was led to believe that once you have a dead/stuck pixel there's not much anyone can do to put it right.
Usually it means a replacement or live with it ?
Really disapointed, as the screen is superb, but £2500 is alot of money for a tv that was imperfect from day one.
Geesh, i've only had it a week !

I had a pixel stuck on red on my 506XDE...Pioneer said it was within tolerance and not considered a defective screen, but the shop I bought it from exchanged it for a pixel perfect one... I was chattin to a guy at the pioneer stand at the show in Hammersmith at the weekend, and they said that if you felt it was a problem and it was really p***ing you off... then they would sort it out...Also look in the manual...it says if u can see it from 2.5 to 3.5 metres away on a normal screen (not a blank screen) then contact your reseller...

Not wanting to tempt fate on my Panasonic, but research seems to suggest Pioneers are much more prone to dead pixels than the pannys. Reports on this forum seem to back this up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom