436XDE and 868AVi (Audio Question)

NickHack

Standard Member
Hi,

Just wall mounted my new 436XDE and its beautiful! :smashin:

Very quick question and my apologies if this has been asked a hundred times already but its late and I just want a quick reply:

I'm planning on linking the DVD player (868) to the plasma multimedia box with a QED HDMI cable. The Pioneer standard connection cable then takes the signal to the screen. My question is about getting the best quality audio. With the simple path I have described I'll have no audio as my panel is speakerless (as I have just spent a fortune on Cantons). Is the best way to get audio to spend on 3 pairs of audio connects and link DVD to Receiver? Or is there some value in running a pair of audio connects from the MM box (which will be HDMI'd to the DVD) to the receiver?

Thanks!

NickHack

stevedster

run a digital cable from your dvd player to your receiver, coax if short distance (likely), or optical if over 2 metres. (no need for 3 sets of hi-fi interconnects).

kamaran

Or to make it easier, you can just run an optical out from your Media box to your amp. This will mean that you need just one input on your amp for freeview and your DVD.

As the sound is being carried via the HDMI is full dolby digital/dts etc, you theoretically shouldnt gain anything by having a seperate connection from the DVD player into your amp.

By the way - lets see some pics if your setup ;) :smashin:

jwramsay

kamaran said:
Or to make it easier, you can just run an optical out from your Media box to your amp. This will mean that you need just one input on your amp for freeview and your DVD.

As the sound is being carried via the HDMI is full dolby digital/dts etc, you theoretically shouldnt gain anything by having a seperate connection from the DVD player into your amp.

By the way - lets see some pics if your setup ;) :smashin:
Does the Media Receiver pass DTS from an HDMI input out of the Optical Out?? This I very much doubt!

stevedster

NickHack said:
Thanks for a quick reply mate! Wasn't expecting any reply at this time of night (I've been busy fighting the wires, flexes and cables behind all my equipment until now - looks like a bowl of black spaghetti back there despite my best efforts!). This looks like the right tool for the job?
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/XHD608-100.html?id=GZdJbA2K
nice cable, but you can get just as good a cable in richer sounds for half the price (£20) if you have one local.

jwramsay

wildysax

Standard Member
I'm planning on linking the DVD player (868) to the plasma multimedia box with a QED HDMI cable. The Pioneer standard connection cable then takes the signal to the screen. My question is about getting the best quality audio.
I have the lower model to this, the 668i and as far as I know the HDMI interface on these models is visual only, no audio. :thumbsdow They use the first standard that was not compatable with carrying sound. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have mine sent digital rca out to receiver for dvd and 5 analogue rca for dvd-a/sacd.

kamaran

wildysax said:
I have the lower model to this, the 668i and as far as I know the HDMI interface on these models is visual only, no audio. :thumbsdow They use the first standard that was not compatable with carrying sound. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have mine sent digital rca out to receiver for dvd and 5 analogue rca for dvd-a/sacd.
touche PDP! :rolleyes:

However, the thread you pointed to may indicate that Sound doesnt carry over. However this post seemed to indicate you can get multi-channel form HDMI - dunno if it was just speculation though http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2047173&postcount=13

RobbieTT

wildysax said:

Ahh, we seem to have 2 similar thread running on this. Still with no true answer though. But as to the question above...

Both the 668 and 868 manuals state:
• The HDMI connection is compatible with
44.1/48kHz, 16/20/24 bit 2 channel linear
PCM signals, as well as Dolby Digital, DTS
and MPEG audio bitstream.
• It is not possible to output SACD or copycontrolled
DVD-Audio CPPM sources
from the HDMI connection.
•
DV-668AV only
– When an HDMI device is
connected, there is no output from the
composite, S-video, or component video
jacks (only during NTSC disc playback).

The manual for the 436 / 506 plasma is very short of detail regarding the output standards for the optical. Just shows it connected to an amp and says it is sync'd to the current screen picture - that could mean anything!

*Edit* re-reading this one thing occurs to me - will still have to link DVD player direct to the amp to get DVD-A and SACD due to the version of HDMI. Did I not read that there is a new HDMI standard that includes these??

Is it possible to update HDMI versions??

Welwynnick

RobbieTT said:
*Edit* re-reading this one thing occurs to me - will still have to link DVD player direct to the amp to get DVD-A and SACD due to the version of HDMI. Did I not read that there is a new HDMI standard that includes these??

Is it possible to update HDMI versions??
The current version, at least, of the 868 supports HDMI V1.1, which carries DVD-A. Don't forget iLink, which supports everything, with the right AV amp. HDMI V1.2 will support SACD / DSD, but I'm not aware of anything that does that, yet. People like Pioneer and Denon will be likely to do it first, but NOT by retrofit or upgrade (it's only TAG and Artcam that do that sort of thing).

Nick

NickHack

Standard Member
Hi,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for all the advice in this thread. I've been busy selling a car on EBay and am back at work this week.

Whether or not HDMI will support audio I've gone with the optical cable and will probably link DVD to amp with it. I've got a sony learning remote so I'll just map a single press to set audio (on Amp) and input (on plasma) to DVD input and I'll be away (all being well).

Someone a while back asked for some snaps of the 436. Please find them attached below. I had to degrade the quality considerably to allow them to upload. Still not got a fully functioning setup (waiting on a 3m sub cable, a RF aerial splitter (so I can feed the media box digital TV to watch in the corner PIP whilst I'm playing GTA:SA in cinema scope :) and someone to buy my old Bush CRT and Ikea TV stand!! For anyone interested in playing games on a plasma by the way, you should see the EyeToy games in action. Its mind blowing! I only wish I hadn't bought a light fitting that dangles to about 6 foot above the floor. Its only a matter of time before beer, plasma, EyeToy and some air guitar game end in it being ripped from the ceiling by a flailing hand!

PS In case you were wondering The 'Pimp My Plasma' lights were something I saw mentioned on a thread a month or two back. They're strips of LEDs from Ikea. A matter of taste I'd say but for my money (£21 to be exact) they look the biz! :devil:

Attachments

Welwynnick

bigstevex said:
there's different versions of HDMI if i'm not mistaken!?
Yes.

There's version 1.0 tha supports PCM and DTS
Version 1.1 that supports DVD-A.
Version 1.2 that supposrts DSD (SACD)
Version 1.3 will support Dolby true HD.

Nick

TivoUK

You cannot get digital audio from a player, through the Pioneer, via the HDMI scoekt.

I emailed Pioneer, and got the following reply:

Thanks for your email.

When connecting via HDMI the only audio output that is allowable is from the speakers connected to the screen, this is due to the copy protection regulations within the HDMI standards, the analogue and headphone outputs will shut off when HDMI is enabled.

Normally if you connect Via HDMI you would also use a digital connection directly from the DVD player to your AV amp, this will function correctly even with the HDMI link running.

Regards.
Customer Relations
PIONEER GB LIMITED

Bother :oops:

RobbieTT

Thanks for the info.

NickHack

Standard Member
Thanks for that!
Looks like I've made the right choice going for decent optical and HDMI. I ordered them both last Saturday online and I'm still waiting though!! :mad: According to hifibitz customer services QED have been inundated for requests for their HDMI cable since the WhatHiFi awards and are struggling to keep up!

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme