436/506 - Viewing Distance Argument

T

thebdj

Hi,

I have put so much time into this that it is getting ridiculous! :) I am looking at either a 436 or a 506. I am aware that the 506 is slightly better apart from the obvious fact it is a bigger screen. I will be watching the TV from about 9 feet (that being the distance from the front of the screen to the middle of my lazy boy chair!).

Now I have seen a 436 in the flesh and it looks beautiful but I almost feel that at 9 feet it gets a little small :) However as a test I stood for about 20 minutes in front of a Panny 50" from 9 feet. It was showing MTV Dance Hits. Looked absolutely pixelated as phuq but I also felt that I was getting a bit sea-sick watching it.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this as I can honestly say that the only thing between me picking the 436 or 506 is this distance 'problem. Or as our managers say, they aren't problems, they are opportunities! Well if anyone has the opportunity to advise that'd be great :)

C

Chris Blackwell

A 506 at 9 foot is fabulous. The store one probably looked pixellated because it wasn't using RGB.

Blue Triangles

I sit 9-10 feet from my 506. Absolutely magnificent! Especially 1080i material (I prefer it to 720p)

Blue Triangles

Chris,

Have you tried any games on your 506? Either Xbox or Gamecube through RGB? (not modded)

BigBilly

I'm 12 feet to my 506 xde and I'm tempted to say it's a bit small after 5 days on the wall.

Haven't got it tweaked up yet but football via SKY+ is pretty damn good.

:thumbsup:

Blue Triangles

I'm scared to put sky on it, I'm still concerned about image retention. I played a video game for no more than Two minutes, Two minutes I tell you. I had a slight shadowing from the game only visible on a black background.

I'll do the run in period (I'm on 92 hours now), if it still happens so easily, I shall be phoning Comet.

T

thebdj

h you boys are seriously swaying me towards the 506 you know :) I think I may have to do it and if I really get any problems then I'll just have to bite the bullet and get ... a bigger house :)

birdseed

I have the 436, and sit 9 ft away, ive only got SD stuff on it and i wish i was another foot away from it. I glad i didnt gor for the 506.
( It looks great from the doorway however!)

C

Chris Blackwell

Panzer22 said:
Chris,

Have you tried any games on your 506? Either Xbox or Gamecube through RGB? (not modded)
Not yet. I do have an X-Box but I haven't plumbed it in yet as I am waiting for the new 360.

BigBilly

Panzer22 said:
I sit 9-10 feet from my 506. Absolutely magnificent! Especially 1080i material (I prefer it to 720p)
Panzer

What are you using to upscale the feed, I need to decide on a DVD player. Do I get an upscaling DVD (989) or good DVD and scaler? (Of course this'll be budget dependant!)

Hmmmmm :confused:

acrmorris

Standard Member
I have a 42" wall mounted but use a projector for films/sports events. The electric screen is around 84" diagonal and I view from about 12 feet. The 42" looks small compared to the screen which is perfect size imo. Go for it m8 - the bigger the better. :thumbsup:

Blue Triangles

BigBilly said:
Panzer

What are you using to upscale the feed, I need to decide on a DVD player. Do I get an upscaling DVD (989) or good DVD and scaler? (Of course this'll be budget dependant!)

Hmmmmm :confused:
When I bought my tv from Comet I asked them to chuck in One of the upscaling DVD players for free. They were all around the £100 mark so I just chose this LG One purely because it was so slim. I had no idea whether the player was good or not, but because it was free I thought what the heck. The picture quality is good enough to my eyes and certainly better that running DVD's on my Xbox.

I did have to buy a HDMI cable though, I bought a Monster One, that cost £90. :mad:

6022tivo

I have the 505 and am about 10-12 ft away.

The first week it looked huge and freinds when they turn up say it looks great.

I have got used to it now, and actually think it looks smaller then it did.. If you can afford it, go for the 50?

unique

get the big screen. if u get the smaller one you will just keep on thinking, "what if i got the bigger one?". i got the 50" so i wouldn't have that dilemma. the 60" would have involved me selling off some bodyparts to afford it, so i knew i wasn't going to miss a screen bigger than 50" more than i would miss my liver

i sit about 9 foot from the 50" and the screen size is just right for me. well, of course i'd prefer it was bigger, but i can always just move the sofa closer if my eyesight gets worse

i pushed myself financially to get the bigger screen, but it impresses my friends and collagues and gives them something to gossip about at work ("he must be off his head spending that amount of money on a telly, or he must be ripping off expenses"). unfortunately only men seem to be geekish enough to want to come round and see an enourmous telly. wtf is wrong with women?

as for PQ, at that distance, watching upsampled dvds is great, watching freeview or normal telly it might not be that great, but i doubt your going to spend £3000 to watch eastenders. there are various settings and filters you can turn on that make really crap quality stuff look a bit better, or easier on the eye would perhaps be the better way to put it

T

thebdj

Ok ok, looks like the 506 is gonna be the one that is purchased! :) Thik I just needed you lot to sway me! ... and you have!

marklintonarnol

I sit roughly 8 foot away from the screen and i have had both the 436XDE and the 506XDE and for me the 43 won hands down. My set up is running sky+ via input1 on RGB using QED Scart and i have a Pioneer 868AVi DVD through the HDMI port and the picture in both 750p and 1125i looks absolutly stunning. On the 506 it still looked good but nowhere near this good as on the 43. Hope this helps

anticlaus105

I'm 5 1/2 ft away from my 436. Have a small room. Wouldn't want it any bigger. At least not yet. Maybe it will shrink with time.

A

alpina

while on the subject of distance, whats the optimum height for a wall mounted 506?

cheers,

julie

acrmorris

Standard Member
I'd say the optimum height is the height at which you're most comfortable looking at it. Remember, it's a TV, not a picture...

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme