435XDE Flicker

hillster

Established Member
Reaction score
Not a flicker as such but I've noticed on input 3 (HDMI from a Samsung 945) that occasionally it's as if someone has changed the brightness slightly to make the whole picture lighter. I can't recall seeing this on Sky+ or any other input, just from the DVD player.

If it helps the screen has been used for around 180 hours and has yet to be calibrated and I'm using wireworld ultraviolet HDMI cable.

I seem to remember this being mentioned on the fourms some time ago but can't find it on here, anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers

Hillster

Interesting - I noticed something like that last night. I am using the exact same dvd player and tv. Not constant but every now and then. Also looking for ideas on what it could be.

I too have 435xde and have found this on input3 using sky+ rgb but put it down to having DRE on mid setting, I have since switched off and not noticed it.
What is the picture like using the samsung as im thinking of getting one?

bigbearh said:
I too have 435xde and have found this on input3 using sky+ rgb but put it down to having DRE on mid setting, I have since switched off and not noticed it.
What is the picture like using the samsung as im thinking of getting one?

Thanks, I'll check my DRE setting later. Very pleased with the 945, picture quality is excellent especially now I've run the screen in for 200+ hours. I'm having the screen calibrated next week so hopefully I'll see further improvement.

The only downside of the 945 is that it sometimes displays a bizzare garbled picture upon playing a disc buit this is easily fixed by pressing stop and then play again. This problem has been mention on these boards, do a search on the 945 and you'll soon find it.

Overall I'd say it's well worth the £160 I paid for it. If you need any more info give me a shout.

I had the same on my Pioneer 434HDE and found it to be caused by having the Power Save Mode set to ON. I turned this OFF and problem is now sorted. It may be worth checking to see if the Power Mode is OFF or ON.

Good Luck

Quinny said:
I had the same on my Pioneer 434HDE and found it to be caused by having the Power Save Mode set to ON. I turned this OFF and problem is now sorted. It may be worth checking to see if the Power Mode is OFF or ON.

Good Luck
I have a 434HDE and use the power save ON for all non-essential general viewing. I never had a problem / never saw the kind of flicker described here.

Going to DVD I use an Pioneer 868 player through HDMI and the picture is just excellent totally problem free. I also have all advanced picture settings to "off except DRE which is set at "mid" for all inputs.

To me it sounds that most likely this relates to the Samsung DVD player since you claim that it is only seen through DVD

Costas said:
I have a 434HDE and use the power save ON for all non-essential general viewing. I never had a problem / never saw the kind of flicker described here.

Going to DVD I use an Pioneer 868 player through HDMI and the picture is just excellent totally problem free. I also have all advanced picture settings to "off except DRE which is set at "mid" for all inputs.

To me it sounds that most likely this relates to the Samsung DVD player since you claim that it is only seen through DVD

Think the problem was caused by having the power save set to SAVE, changed this last night and in 15 minutes viewing I never saw the problem. Hopefully this will be the end of it...

Thanks to everyone for your help

Regards

Hillster

Have you sorted it out, it happens to me as well cant put my finger on whats causing it, its definately caused by one of the settings

steve0 said:
Have you sorted it out, it happens to me as well cant put my finger on whats causing it, its definately caused by one of the settings

If I had to put monrey on it I'd say it was the power save setting, I've not watched much on DVD since I changed it but I've not noticed it since. Will watch a few films over the weekend to see if the problem is cured..

Are you using the Samsung 945 DVD player?

Im using the Panny s97 dvd player

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom