1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

435 xde black gloss frame replacement

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BIGMAX, Apr 6, 2005.

1. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello all.

Just wondering if anybody on here has had to replace their black gloss frame surround on the 435 xde. I have my tv on the wall and noticed faint scratching all over the black surround. I complained to the supplier and they have sent me a new frame for me to fit as it was quite a time before it was up and running for me to notice.

It seems pretty straight forward but just wanted to know if anybody has any experience in changing theirs.

2. MR ETOME

MR ETOME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bigmax, is the black gloss frame on your plasma flat i.e. does it give a mirror like reflection, giving a quality piano black effect?

The frame on mine is uneven and sort of rippled and reflects light unevenly giving a cheap plastic effect. Its the only thing I dont like about this plasma.

3. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yes the frame is totally flat and I've heard a few people complaining of a ribbed effect. Mine is just full off light scratches. The new frame I have been sent is perfect so my original one had been mishandled. If I was you I would complain and get pioneer to send you a new frame - should be easy to do as they obviously have a problem with a few of these surrounds.

Just hope I don't wreck the thing trying to screw the new one on.

4. MR ETOME

MR ETOME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Bigmax, i'll give Pio a call. Good luck with replacing your surround.

5. VSC

VSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Once you've replaced the bezel on your screen you'll probably notice the 'rippled' effect since it is caused by the fact that the bezel is screwed into place. Obviously where the screws are located the bezel is going to be pulled tighter to the plasma. Wouldn't suggest you do the swap myself, so much more can go wrong than can go right!

6. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    mmmmmmm - Food for thought. What if I just tighten the screws enough but not so tight that it pulls the frame in ?

7. MR ETOME

MR ETOME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Had a look at this, and on my screen the indents on the frame do not correspond to where the screws are located, the indents occur much more frequently.

8. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'd definately ask for a replacement frame. I'm not sure I want to try and put the new one on now for fear of doing something wrong.

9. VSC

VSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the bezel you recieve will be simply that, a bezel. You'll have to transfer the glass and the panel itself accross. Unless you've got a large and very dust-free area you might wind up with a bit of mess behind the glass. Not much space there on the Pios. Dog or cat hairs may become your new worst enemy. Have you checked with the manufacturer that removing the back cover yourself doesn't void the warranty? Also these panels are not light items to be throwing about so you'd need assistance. Make sure you don't flex it or your living room may have a new glass feature to it!