1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

435 xde, 505 xde Screen Burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rob13a, Mar 13, 2005.

1. rob13a

rob13a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`ve been interested in buying the 435 or 505 xde screen until I went for a demo in Eastbourne last week. Their 435 had the words (Recordable dv demo)burnt into the screen, obviously I`m now worried about buying a plasma.
    Can anyone tell me how easy is it to burn a screen and has any one had particular problems with the pioneers?
    Are the sky or ntl logos a real problem or can problems be easily avoided?
    What is the maximum time you could leave a static image on screen?

2. Setch

Setch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a 435xde, it's done 237 hours now. I watched the Man U game yesterday and looked for image retention at halftime. The score stayed there for a few seconds and then went away. My kids watch the disney channel (one with the red ears) every day and that has not been a problem to date.

I think you have to be a cautious during the first 200 hours and then just be aware thereafter not to leave it on a channel with a logo all day.

Setch

3. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Currently running my 435 in on reduced settings, just over 80 hours at the moment. I've seen some image retention after watching Sky Sports News for half an hour but it only lasted a few minutes once I changed chanel. Nothing to worry about so far...

4. VIK AD

VIK AD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My parents tend to watch some of their favourite channels - movies and serials. The logo sometimes burns-in temporarily. Changing the channel to one with a lighter picture rids the burn image.

Just remember not to be on one channel (with a static logo) for more than 2 or 3 hours.

Side note: perhaps we should request the channels/providers to use animated/moving logos :smashin:

5. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think your right there, maybe a scrolling image like the newer nokia phones has for its clock on standby screen. Something that moves from one side to another over a 15 min period and hence barely noticable.

It would help as well if they took the image away during commercial breaks, the 3 mins inbeteen 15 mins of broadcast would probably be enough for it not to happen but I notice that some of the channels show the logo in commercials too!

Steve

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Guys,

With the exception of rob13a's first input you all referring to after image lagging effect on the plasma and not permanent burn-in.

Image patterns, such as very bright static logos or other info will leave after image lagging after 2-3 minutes. This is absolutely normal and will gradually disappear as soon as moving images are displayed.

A burn in image that may remain permantly on the screen can only happen after several hours (>3) of displaying the same high luminance pattern.
    All new quality plasmas (and Pioneer especially) are very resistant against first models of many years ago but caution should be taken. If you have such static images for extremely prolonged periods , as a precaution, try the power save option..or if the viewing is not so critical like a film or a sport event, change the image aspect setting (size) from "wide" or "full" to "zoom". E.g. sometimes the children could be watching Cbeebies channel who have a very bright logo. Switch to Zoom and the logo will not be displayed.

rob13a
    Screen burn should never ever be a worry to stop you from buying a plasma!

7. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    What is the setting to have the 435 on to avoid screen burn to start off?
    How can I check the hours on the screen?

Do I need to take any special precaution when playing PS2 & Amiga on it???
    (moving images, but some maybe static in the games, like the score in a footy game, and will be played for several hours!)

Good to know you can't get screen burn after a few mins ... and its only an after image lagging effect.