1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

435 hdmi fullscreen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Leerock, May 26, 2005.

1. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was about to upgrade my dvd player to one with hdmi out.
    I went down to the stores today and found a 435 demo connected with a pioneer 868 dvd player linked up with hdmi.
    I tried to make the image full screen but it was impossible as it only lets you switch between "wide" and "full" but on both modes is still leaving you with those black bars.
    Is this normal?
    Can you make it fullscreen without the zoom function of the dvd player which cuts a big part of the image and it looks terrible?
    If this is normal i m not going to buy an hdmi player coz my screen is brand new and those black bars may cause screen burn.

2. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok
    Was that a stupid question? :confused:

3. WelshJules

WelshJules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think so. I'm also looking at buying 435XDE with 868 vs Panny 42 and same source. I'd be interested in protecting my investment if I were you.

:confused:

Regards,
    J.

4. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    its not the player at fault, its just the way the dvd was recorded.

5. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are some issues in what you say which I've not seen fully discussed here. First, as was said, your DVD source can be recorded in various wide modes and what you refer to as 'centre cut out' can only be achieved by digital zoom. Unfortunately, the material will have been produced wide and you will find scenes with action at the sides which you miss and watching in a zoom mode can be an unatural experience.

You're right to consider the screen burn issue. When the dvd source signals its aspect ratio to the 435 the 435 can put black bars on the sides, but there's an option to make them mid grey or even video content (which looks horrible). So I'm guessing your dvd source is fitted to the 435 screen as best it can BUT the producers have created a wide effect by adding black bars to the content. There's not a lot you can do about this with the limited zoom choice that the 435 gives and I don't know how often dvd titles modify the displayed aspect like this.

The issue that doesn't seem to be discussed a lot here, is the extent to which the panels native resolution and scaling maps the original source picture area to the screen. Everybody seems worried about black bars, but few seem concerned about seeing a 16X9 picture as it was framed with all the original picture on their screen.

On broadcast channels, the 435 definitely uses zooming, throwing away picture and you'll be hard pressed to even find a mode which presents a true circle without the undistorted geometry we expect with a flat panel. You can prove this by doing fine horizontal and vertical picture shifts to see where the actual picture starts and finishes, or flicking back to analogue TV whilst comparing the top and bottom. The 435 seems to 'overscan' which I find annoying and it's hard to choose a mode and even shift offset, that displays broadcasters supers like footie scores, placed close to the screen edges. I think this might come from its design as a computer screen display used in 525 land, rather than a display mapped for DVB transmission standards and the receiver which drives it.

Unfortunately, the 435 doesn't have continuous zoom with pan modes, which whilst distorting the picture frame, might have given you peace of mind. However, I still think it's a good panel in today's market.

PS I bought the Panni S97 player with HDMI, seems compatible, cheaper and to me gives a great picture.

6. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    I did away with a normal DVD player due to the output limitations.

I build HTPC's all the time and use my own HTPC for DVD and Sky+ scaling as you have a wealth of options for getting any video the right aspect to fill the screen exactly and the PQ is outstanding in every case, especially when the DVD player in the HTPC is purely digital direct to the panel using an Xcard and the SWeetspot processor.

I don't see the point in spending hundreds on a flashy DVD player when i can get better functionality and PQ from making my own at a fracton of the price!.

Outstanding!