Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

434HDE queries

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by reckless, Aug 31, 2004.

1. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My mate's been offered a good deal on a 434 now that they're going down in price thanks to the new models coming out. I've followed some threads here for a while and found out some really useful information but one or two points seem to have had some differing responses on here. Given that most here will have had their sets for some time I wondered if anything further could be added to the existing answers.

Firstly, there were a number of posts relating to text scrolling being jerky (I believe news 24/sky news etc). Was that due to the 70hz picture refresh or was it thanks to one of the many picture enhancement settings that most seem to switch off? Was this really noticeable on pans etc?

Secondly, some here complained about the poor quality of football. I believe that this was largely due to the poor sky quality but was this a general criticism of plasma screens in general or is the 434 particularly poor in that respect? I've only seen some of the football adverts running on there so I'm not really in a position to judge but they didn't seem any worse to me than the panny.

Finally, there was a query raised relating to lines that were visible down the screen that I believe was referred to as "dirty tube" lines. Some said they were clearly visible, others that they couldn't see anything. Was this issue ever resolved (were they faulty screens or is there some generic problem)?

Bear in mind that he has no interest in any video processors etc, he just wants to set it up with his sky and dvd and watch it.

Finally, the loaded question: he lives near me and there is little to no chance of receiving freeview so the addition of a digital tuner in the new models is irrelevant, that aside (and I know this is subjective) I'd be interested in hearing people's views on whether or not he's making a good move in buying this model as opposed to waiting.

Cheers and thanks for any comments or pointers, I know that he'll be grateful for any advice. :thumbsup: