1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

434hde and dvi port on panel

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PC Nut, Apr 23, 2004.

1. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Any one tried this?

Is it possible, to disconnect the 434hde's media box from the div port on the panel and feed a dvi signal from a suitable dvd player / PC dvi port or (go to question 2) to this panel.

If it is possible what are the limitiations on resolution etc.

The reason i ask is:

1) The media box has a hdmi socket and the plasma has a dvi socket. So i am guessing the hdmi can be by passed for straight dvi input at the panel?

2) I am thinking i can possible use an external scaler like the DVDO iScan HD for my source switching and deinterlacing if this is possible will it have any benfits over the media box supplied?

3) Or would i have to use the PC compatable port (15 pin D Plug) for the correct resolution of (1024 * 768) if using a DVDO iScan HD?

Loads of questions: plenty of answers: Please........

:devil:

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Bearing in mind the 433MXE is practically the same panel as used in the 434HDE you could just get that, or wait for the newer model 43MXE1 (or get a Panasonic PHD!!!). Seeing as you plan to use iScan HD for switching (and that nobody watches RF on plasma, well except my mother God bless her) the media box is nigh on useless to you... making the 434HDE seem less like a suitable plasma for your needs.

HTH

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    PC Nut

As Liam says skip the HDE and get an early order in for one of the NEW MXE1 - first stock of the 43" units will arrive in June.

It is technically possible to bypass the video processing in the R04 Media Box by connecting an external Video processor in parallel with the Media Box but the amount of messing about with cables and a soldering iron makes it just way too much effort when you can simply get an MXE1.

The DVI look-alike cable that lives between the R04 Media Box and the Screen on an HDE system is not wired as per a standard DVI cable and you have to undertake some serious surgery of that cable plus a spare DVI cable to keep everything working if you don't want the R04 in the Video signal path - even sticking a standard DVI cable between the Media Box and the Screen results in total shut down of the system after about ten seconds and when you start to introduce an external processor things go down hill.

You can stick an external Video processor with an analogue video out into the Media Box via the HD15 RGBHV input and whilst it does work to an extent there's still frame rate conversion and other jiggery pokery going on within the Media Box that you wont encounter if you go with the MXE1.

You do however have to keep in mind that the MXE1 has a DVI input and its not HDCP enabled - so this may limit what you will do with this input; though third party video cards will resolve this issue.

If you want a PDF on the MXE1 please shout.

Joe

4. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Joe: Im shouting, Any ideas on price?
    Have not seen this panel mentioned on any sights recently & is thier an availabilty date.

Thanks for the info guys, will be checking this panel out. Any ideas what the suffix (s) stands for on this model?

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi Joe, could I have a pdf as well please

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Both

Drop me a note via PM and I'll forward the PDF file.

PC Nut:
    We get to see the new display on 06 May 04 in 'delivery spec' not 'pre production' models.

We start to deliver the 50MXE1 the first week of April and the 43MXE1 from early June.

Some web sites even have the pricing up for the new models :)

Chris5:
    A 43MXE1-S or 50MXE1-S will have a Silver bezel rather than a Charcoal bezel.

Best regards

Joe

7. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Joe i did manage to find the pdf's last night thanks again.

8. oliverlim

oliverlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Joe,

Do you know of anyone who is able to fabricate the cable? I alreayd have the HDE and am looking to add a lumagen or Iscan. But without this cable, I see that there is very little advantage of going with a external scaler due to the HDE not accepting native rate. Thanks!

Oliver

9. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I too would be interested in this...???