1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

434 installers may know the Answer

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PC Nut, Apr 1, 2004.

1. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Having decided (almost) to get a 434 i have a question that needs answering.

As i do not like the speakers of the 434 can i use the audio output of the 434 to feed via a source switch to a set of speakers like the kef 5005/Radius 225 for ordinary tv viewing in stead of using an av amp ( this will be used to feed the front L/R only) I know this won't sound fantastic but will the 434 have enough grunt to give reasonbale tv style listning?

When watching/listning to dvd etc i will be able to switch the source back to my AV Amp for front L/R speakers as a normal 5.1 setup

Many thanks .... for any replys.

2. kevtotty

kevtotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Have only had the 434 for a week or so and its only been on the wall a few hours due to installation teething problems.

The manual does show a Stereo output from the Monitor Output socket on the rear of the reciever.

I think this would do what you require.

By the way you can download the User Manual from the Pioneer Web site.

Link is http://www.service.pioneer-eur.com/peeservice/RegistrInstrMan.nsf/(CountDownloadinInstructionManuals3)?openagent&ID=4B650EEE74859FF2C1256D97004EC8B6&Attachment=ARE1368_PDP-504HDE.pdf

Look at Page 53

Kev

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    13 W + 13 W (1 kHz, 10 %, 8 §Ù)
    Any easy to drive speaker should be fine as 8 ohm is pretty common It states eleswhere it can be used with speakers upto 16 ohm.
    I'd demo the setup first though!

4. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    kevtotty:bobbypunk
    Thanks for the info, was hoping somebody had tried this out and had a good result. Might have try it out in shop before i go ahead.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    PC Nut

When you say you don't like the PDP-S13 is it a question of style or audio quality?

I find using the PDP-S12 on my 504HDE very acceptable for 'TV' viewing.

The speaker terminals on the back of the screen are standard spring clip affairs so within reason you can connect pretty much any speakers you like - though as others have pointed out were not talking serious grunt from these outputs; wave supplied KEF HTS, Anthony Gallo Micro's along with KEF and Sonance In-walls to partner the HDE TV's.

Ignore the Audio Line-out on the back of the R04 Media Box - I'm pretty sure its not active; though there is a Sub out so if you wanted to add a small sub to the 'TV' set-up you can have a bit more LF for TV viewing.

I use my SKY+ Digibox as my TV tuner and have it wired as follows:

SKY+ SCART RGB out via fully wired SCART to Input 01 on R04 Media Box.

SKY+ Optical 5:1 Digital Audio out to AV Receiver.

This way I can watch and listen (stereo) without the AV Receiver or turn the TV speaker volume to zero and listen to 5:1 via the AV Receiver (its a good idea to use an AV Receiver with a Digital Audio Delay feature).

Best regards

Joe

6. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The audio line out on the media box is ACTIVE. I regularly use them to get the analogue channels into the AV receiver.

7. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Joe Fernand:

Style wise, if they were in matching high gloss black not a problem
    Also a space saving exercise as well

joys_R_us:

The audio line out would not be of much use to me as i would need to amplifiy, and part of the reason for doing this would be so i could leave the amp off for just normal tv viewing, utilising the 434's amplified output via the source switch almost women friendly as well for her indoors.