1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

434 HDE - The Pleasure and the Pain

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tinyclanger, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Tinyclanger

Tinyclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm now the proud owner of a spanking new Pioneer 434HDE which I'm generally delighted with.

Only one thing disturbs me. All that cost and technology and I still get black bars on top of, and below widescreen movies!

For fun, I tried and old movie "Blade Runner" and a relatively new one "Attack of The Clones". The aspect ratio from NTL digital cable is OK.

Source is a Pioneer DV303 integrated unit (Don't laugh, you all started somewhere).

At the moment due to post midnight cabling frenzy, the DVD is connected via composite video. S-Video to Scart cable now required.

Is this a common thing, do I need to upgrade DVD player?

Kindest Regards,
    Pete

2. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure, but i would imagine that both of those movies are an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 which is the aspect they would have been filmed in and shown in in the cinema. Your plasma screen is only an aspect ratio 1.85:1 or 16:9, so unless you stretch the film vertically (making everything too tall and skinny) or zoom it in (chopping off the sides of the footage) then you will have to live with the black bars on 2.35:1 films..

This is actually one of the reasons why i'm getting a 504HDE, as even on my 32" CRT 2.35:1 films are too small for my liking.