1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

434 and Sky Plus

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tigermad, Jan 2, 2004.

1. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I have just bought a Pioneer 43" Plasma Screen and I am very disappointed with the quality using Sky Plus.

The picture seems to have motion blur most of the time. It seems to be ok watching DVDs.

Since I don't have much experience with Plasma TVs is this normal?

I have paid £4000 for this TV and I expected to see better quality Digital TV than I am getting at the moment.

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Overall, yes, it is normal. There a are a few things you can do to improve and you will find a lot of info here if you just do a search!

3. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    When I first turned on my Pio 434 I was also dissappointed with Sky+, especially Sports!!(Football). Make sure you turn your contrast and colour down to acceptable levels!....Do a search for picture settings on the Pio 434. It does seem to take a while for the screen to bed in properly. With mine there was a noticeable improvement in PQ after about 20-30 hours. Apparantly it is at its best after 100 hours!

I have an Isotek mini-sub and good quality screened mains leads and a Chord RGB scart. I really think these make a big difference with Sky PQ on the high bit-rate channels I now have almost dvd quality. The low-rate channels are still crap! Also make sure you are at sensible viewing distance. 3m or more is good.

Also watch out for screen burn!!!

4. Beefer

Beefer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with robertt, at first I noticed motion blur on certain channels but it soon settles down. I think it just gets better and better. I do have good mains cables (Russ Andrews + Merlin) and IMHO it makes a difference, but even without them the panel will improve.

I would have to say that Sky+ now looks amazing - although as you know some channels are better than others. Even the RF feed looks good really, certainly as good as my Sony CRT did. The cable mods take the sound also to a different level.

Give it time.

5. Rexus

Rexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with all the other comments made here. During the first couple of days with the 434, I was all for sending it back, mainly due to very poor Sky+ PQ.

Now, some 4 weeks later, the quality has improved markedly - it seems to be true, give it tl least 100 hours and then decide if the
    picture quality is good enough.

(Still get drop-outs though even after a visit by Pioneer)

6. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Hi

Sorry to be dumb but what are drop outs?

7. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are the good mains leads from your Sky+ or plasma.

8. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I only use the mains leads that came with the unit.

I have searched the forum and see that many of you buy different mains leads, whats the difference? Surely a kettle lead is a kettle lead?

9. Beefer

Beefer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had my box changed and I still get dropouts also, only when playing on Xbox connected to input 3.

10. Rexus

Rexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dropouts are momentary losses of picture - the screen goes blank for about a second - happens now and again, about 3 times a week.

11. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tigermad and Cag take a look at ww.russandrews.com. They sell many mains cables and other mains conditioning equipment. I just ordered some and will post if it makes a difference. If you register with them you can download some good whitepapers/documents on the subject.

I am not sure, but I think there is some benefit in filtering out nasties from the mains. If you have spent £4K on a plasma and some more on the sound system another few hundred quid on cleaning the electrical supply sounds like a good plan to me. I think you would want to use the cables on devices that are in the signal path. So sources (DVD,Sky+) to start with then work through your system.

Rog

12. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Rog
    Let me know if it makes a difference

Cheers
    Cag

13. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tigermad,

turn off all picture processing options, except DRE (mid).

Turn off Pure cinema too. this will reduce judder on pans & scrolling banner news info across the bottom of the screen.

Also, try using a low setting for contrast i.e. 28, as I found this can reduce some of the plasticky look of skin tones.

For the first 2-3 weeks I was using a setting even lower than that (less than 20 at one point in an effort to reduce the amount of "fizzing" in the picture), but the screen does bed in after 3 weeks or so, and the settings for Sky+ (RGB, input 1) could be re-done to these :

Contr. 28
    Bri. 0
    Col. -18 :eek:
    Tint 9G
    Sharp. 0

Col Temp. (manual) Grn hi -1, Red lo +2, Blue lo +4
    Col Man. Red +5, Y -3, G +13, C +3, M +1

These are very different settings from those I was using in the first couple of weeks, so I hope you find your screen "beds-in" too.

Sky movies and Ch5 now pretty good, BBC1 + 2, ITV +CH4 are, I suppose, acceptable, but most other channels have even less detail and are blockier than beeb1/2 itv/ch4, and range from quite poor to awful (Motors TV).

It also shows it's the poor quality of the image being broadcast by Sky for most of it's channels (total bit-rate of transmission spread over too many channels) that is the limiting factor in the quality of the image you're seeing on screen...

BTW, I'm using QED "Sqart" scart leads, and a Mark Grant mains lead for Sky+ box ;)

Hope this helps,

drago.d