4306 or AVC A11XVA

S

sureshmamtora

I am finding it difficult finding a dealer who has both in stock to make a comparsion and cannot make up my mind which one to go for.

On paper at least the A11XVA has the edge - but the price difference is quite big - is it really worth the extra?

Has anyone had the opportinuty to compare the two - I would welcome comments.

S

sureshmamtora

Thanks Jase

I would welcome comments from owners of the A11XVA - in particluar their experiances of the effectiveness of Audessey and overall sound quality

LicensedTaximan

I can only comment on my 11XV (upgraded) A.

I can only reiterate what I said on an earlier thread insomuch that this av amp, as with its' bigger sibling the A1XVA, has higher quality components and a higher build quality than the AVR range which by the way will contribute to better stability in sound quality, the weight difference alone will tell you. This amp is also THX ultra 2 certified and those specs have to be closely adhered to plus there is a price to be paid for such licensing.
Now I listened to some soundtracks with and without the THX processing and there is no question that with the THX in situ film soundtracks sound far less "in your face" and more natural, unless of course you like "in your face soundtracks".

One must remember that any film soundtrack is mixed and recorded for a cinema (large theatre auditoria) and when transfered for replay on dvd in a home setup, even if you have a large room, the soundtrack will come over too harsh, but with THX switched in it smooths out this harshness and the whole listening experience becomes far less fatigueing (hmm have I spelt that right), but you still get your big bangs and thumps, all very visceral, and the quieter moments are very atmostpheric.

As regarding the Audyssey, i've had no problems and once up and running gives a good balance between all my speakers which is a 7.1 setup, having said that some other forum members have had issues. My speaker setup is as follows....One pair of KEF 104.2's, KEF 100 centre, one pair KEF 34ds (dipole) side surrounds, back surrounds are KEF 70s's and all are from KEFs' reference series with the 34ds's being THX certified, and to finish them off a Rel Storm 3 sub base unit.

As regard the straight stereo sound it is of a high level, obviously it won't give the stratopheric ultra high hi-fi sound avaliable with £4000 plus stereo only amps but then one wouldn't expect that, never the less this side of the amp can be considered of high quality hi-fi reproduction, a point that was picked up by a reviewer when reviewing this amp in Hi-Fi News a well respected audio magazine, something that was very important to me.

I hope this gives you some idea of the capabilities of this av amp but obviously if you are not sure, especially given the price difference, then get a demo of both. As far as i'm concerned the AVC-A11XVA does it for me, and it was (maybe still is) upgradable, plus the premium silver is rather nice.;)

MoFoHo

I am finding it difficult finding a dealer who has both in stock to make a comparsion and cannot make up my mind which one to go for.

On paper at least the A11XVA has the edge - but the price difference is quite big - is it really worth the extra?

Has anyone had the opportinuty to compare the two - I would welcome comments.

Hi there. I was also torn between these 2 amps. And had an opportunity to get an ex-demo AVC-A11XV for a good price. So I listened to both amps. They both have terrific sound quality, and are loaded with features. In the end I went for the AVC-A11XV, I just thought it had a tighter 'grip' on the sound, and sounded louder!:D When it comes to home cinema, and this is ONLY my own personal opinion, power really is the most important thing. You need huge reserves of power to cope with the dynamics of the most enthralling movie soundtracks. I belive the AVC-A11XV(A) is more powerful than the 4306. Both amps sound great though, you really wont be disapointed with either....
Steve.

S

sureshmamtora

Thanks for the info -I was thinking of going for the A11XVA anyway. I am currently using a Lexicon MC1 to do the processing and felt the 4306 would be quite a substantial step down.

Now I need to find a dealer who has an A11XVA in stock so i can listen to it.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom