4306 and dvd recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DamoM, Dec 28, 2006.

1. DamoM

DamoM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dvd recorder connected as VCR-2 on my Denon. The outputs connect to the vcr-2 inputs on the denon obviously for playback. I am however confused as to how to connect the outputs from the denon so that whatever I intend to record (satellite, freeview, vcr, dvd's etc etc) always outputs through the vcr-2 outputs. I had thought that this would happen automatically (this is how the manual tells you to connect such a device) but it definitley doesn't work.

I would expect that then I could simply press record on the dvd recorder so that whatever I am watching through the denon is output through vcr-2 and is then recorded!

I am obviously missing something....!

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    You have to select which input you want to use as the record out. It will then be output to all the recording devices you have connected. This is independant of what input you are using at the time - it's very flexible. Hope this makes sense. I'm extrapolating from another Denon Amp here, but it should be the same. ( If you select 'source' it will output whatever you are currently on, to the VCR record inputs. )

3. DamoM

DamoM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, thanks for that. :smashin:

Is it selectable on the remote on your amp, i.e. you don't actually have to go into the settings to change it from say satellite output to dvd etc?

That would make it a whole lot easier and negate the need to have to watch what you are recording.

4. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    You should be able to select the source to be recorded on the Amp itself. A button marked 'Zone' or 'Rec select' maybe. I don't have this particular Amp, so I can't give you the definitive answer, but the manual will tell you... Don't forget, the record loop is not dependent on what input you are using - it's a separate function. eg, I sometimes use it to feed a DAB tuner to record onto Minidisc, while watching TV. It's very useful.

5. DamoM

DamoM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's very odd, I have the outputs from the vcr-2 terminals connected to the dvd recorder. I then change record select to vcr-2 as suggested above but I get sound and no picture (for speed I am using a personal media player just to check output). If physically I change the video connector to the vcr-1 output then I get picture! With this connection, if I change the record select to vcr-1 then the output signal ceases...?? Is there some assignment setting that I should be aware of? I have studied the manual but can see nothing, it just seems to be the wrong way round!

Furthermore, the only output that i can get is one from a source that is connected on an analogue basis. Anything else connected either via component (other dvd player) or hdmi (Sky HD) then I get no output....?

Any ideas?