430 EX II flash

Calzor Suzay

I'm sat on the fence poised to buy one of these but...

Will it help me produce more natural looking photos indoors out of the box without needing a 5 week course on what settings to use? I know there's a certain degree of learning with these things which I'm prepared for but memorising the manual I'm not.

With the current onboard flash you have 2 choices with Av, force it to sync at 1/200 or use it for fill at whatever speed the camera determines is correct exposure for the ambient light. Is the same with the 430 or can I have more control over shutter speed?

If I use it as bounce and point the flash at the ceiling does it know this and build into the flash that it's going to have hit the ceiling and bounce back before light hits the subject and compensate?

senu

Distinguished Member
I'm sat on the fence poised to buy one of these but...

Will it help me produce more natural looking photos indoors out of the box without needing a 5 week course on what settings to use?
Yes there is an Auto ETTL-II setting Just Pop the Camera on P:D
I know there's a certain degree of learning with these things which I'm prepared for but memorising the manual I'm not.
Its actually a very short manual and will need referring to from time to time when you leave your comfort zone
(P) (or use of wireless ect as a slave ) but despite the size of the flash I find it so handy I never go anywhere with the camera without it now
With the current onboard flash you have 2 choices with Av, force it to sync at 1/200 or use it for fill at whatever speed the camera determines is correct exposure for the ambient light. Is the same with the 430 or can I have more control over shutter speed?
You can do pretty much anything especially in Manual mode. In other modes you still do have a lot more control tahwith the onboard flash
I actually used a Sigma EF 500 DG super until recently ( and still keep it as a backup or as a second wireless" slave") and find the 430 Ex (1) much easier to use..The Sigmas manual....:suicide:
The 430 EX (I) seemed at £116 really unmissable compared to EX II..someone on here gave me the heads up on a Comet bargain
I also got an ST-E2 transmitter for wireless which Im having great fun learning to use
If I use it as bounce and point the flash at the ceiling does it know this and build into the flash that it's going to have hit the ceiling and bounce back before light hits the subject and compensate?
Im not sure how clever it is but it does know when you are not using it as direct flash. ( the focal length is set by the camera) However I have found the bounce option far more likely to be easy to use to avoid overexposure although there is flash exposure compensation ( which you can also do with the on board flash)
A lot of experimentation is called for .. It can be fun
If you must use direct flash there always the option of a diffuser

IMHO an Ext Flash does open up a host of creative possbiltities simply not possible with the onboard flash

Last edited:

Calzor Suzay

Thanks, I've half typed my Credit card number in now...

I've managed to break out of full auto or even P modes and tend to live in Av and venture into full manual on occassion when I went to break past what the camera sets in Av. I'm hoping with the flash it'll allow me to produce more 'natural' looking shots and maybe get more creative once I've got the basics.

I'm also hoping it'll get rid of the nasty AF assist flash of the pop up so you can more discretely take candid shots. The IR transmitters look good but we're going into birthday and xmas presents here :)

I think I'm sold...

>Jaz<

Please post how you get on with it.

Are you new to external flashes? I've never used one and would be interested to see how you get on with it.

Thanks. : )

>Jaz<

Ah right, yeah that would be great if you could give us an update. :thumbsup:

It was £168 delivered, with a code, at Jacobs according to CameraPriceBuster, but I just visited jacobs.co.uk and it is back to £180?

Calzor Suzay

Yeah it was Jacobs found on camera price buster, you have to put the codes in at checkout which from memory you have to be registered to do so a bit of a faff. At present even though it said 'in stock' and still says 'in stock' my status is 'backorder' so I've emailed them.

Oh BTW the codes seem to have MAY in them so I'm guessing they might end soon ;)

goldeneye243

Yeah it was Jacobs found on camera price buster, you have to put the codes in at checkout which from memory you have to be registered to do so a bit of a faff. At present even though it said 'in stock' and still says 'in stock' my status is 'backorder' so I've emailed them.

Oh BTW the codes seem to have MAY in them so I'm guessing they might end soon ;)

Have you received your flash yet? I ordered one on the 29th and it hasn't arrived yet. Also struggling to contact them over the phone...

Last edited:

Calzor Suzay

A reply I had next day to an email I sent on the 28th

Hello Mr X

Thank you for your enquiry. Your order has been special ordered for you and will be supplied once it comes back into stock. We did have some stock arrive but due to the Canon promotion we currently have many back orders; you are 19th on our departments back ordered list and all orders are served chronologically throughout all departments. We do have more on order and we will notify you by email once the item has been allocated to you. We have not been given an estimated arrival date from the supplier but you are free to cancel at any time prior to despatch. I apologise for the lack of information available and thank you for your patience.

Kind regards
Kerry

goldeneye243

I just got through to them and was told that my order is showing as complete, but no tracking number.

She said that it was either despatched yesterday or will be sent tonight.

We'll see...

Martin.D

I have one, once you have mastered it get yourself some triggers and learn a little off camera flash, you can make nicer photo's with off camera flash :D

senu

Distinguished Member
Any triggers that you would recommend?
Canon ST-E2 is not so much a trigger but a wireless controller.
I have one and it works for both the 430 and Sigma with Canon fit ( which I mentioed earlier)

senu

Distinguished Member
I purchased a Phottix PT-04 set 1 x sender and 2 x receiver's ... Can fire up to 30 meters and do not need line of site..

So far they fired every time..
Nice to know that
I heard of them and they really are quite cheap compared to the Canon ST-E2 , but I wasnt sure they would fire my Canon compatible Sigma flash.
Still for the money you get one transmiter and 2 or 3 recievers.. not bad at all
The other advantage ( i suppose) of the Canon is that it also does AF assist

Orwella

The 430EX II is a great upgrade over any built in flash. I am a novice, the differences between onboard flash and 430EX on my 40D are massive, even when left on full auto/default setting.

In all reality the 430 is enough flash for most situations with the 580 being overkill.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021