43" Options - Philips 43PUS8546, Samsung Q65A or Samsung UE43AU9000

Dodgexander

One last thing which panels are better for screen uniformity in the low budget models, va or ips? Ie for watching sports etc
For sports both can be good and bad. You can check reviews of 'gray uniformity' to get an idea of how they will look in these instances.

But in darker viewing conditions, and especially with darker scenes VA panels are a lot more uniform.

leedebs

If its 50" and not 49" then it's using a VA panel for certain. Not everyone notices the viewing angles being poor, can depend on the exact panel, viewing conditions and content.

There is of course good and bad VA panels for viewing angles, but generally you only get about 20-30 to play with before the picture looks worse.
Apologies it is a 49" she has & its a Toshiba not Hisense as I thought (costco didnt have the Hisense one she wanted so she liked the look of this one). Picture is ok, havent seen it with lights dimmed or at night but she likes a bright picture anyway. Must say viewing angles are very good on this model. Think I may have preferred wifey to get an ips one as its always used with lighting on anyway, oh well the JVC one we got was cheap & she seems to like it :) but pretty sure the one we see at the shop was ips, is it a luck of the draw with 43" models what panel type you get?

Dodgexander

JVC and Toshiba are not their own brands anymore. They are Vestel made TVs like many of the supermarket special brands.

This is a far cry from the past, and even with other areas of the business where JVC and Toshiba still operate independently. It comes from companies selling off 'brands' in specific divisions, allowing other companies to sell products in their name.

Most 43" TVs are IPS, but you can get TVs with VA panels at that size too, for example the Samsung 43AU9000 or Hisense's 43A7G.

leedebs

JVC and Toshiba are not their own brands anymore. They are Vestel made TVs like many of the supermarket special brands.

This is a far cry from the past, and even with other areas of the business where JVC and Toshiba still operate independently. It comes from companies selling off 'brands' in specific divisions, allowing other companies to sell products in their name.

Most 43" TVs are IPS, but you can get TVs with VA panels at that size too, for example the Samsung 43AU9000 or Hisense's 43A7G.
Thanks I was aware of Vestel making a lot of these tvs. So it would appear the 43" JVC model in showroom was definitely ips but the one we bought from store & have at home is va......would I be better off swapping to try & get an ips one of the same make? She quite likes the aesthetics of this one.....

Dodgexander

Thanks I was aware of Vestel making a lot of these tvs. So it would appear the 43" JVC model in showroom was definitely ips but the one we bought from store & have at home is va......would I be better off swapping to try & get an ips one of the same make? She quite likes the aesthetics of this one.....
I think you're better off saving up the money to try and go for one of the 42" OLEDs when they are released next year. They will hands down be better than any LCD TV you can buy at smaller sizes. The difference between one cheap TV and another is generally very small, so aside from the panel differences we've already discussed you are still getting a TV that is pretty basic quality.

leedebs

I think you're better off saving up the money to try and go for one of the 42" OLEDs when they are released next year. They will hands down be better than any LCD TV you can buy at smaller sizes. The difference between one cheap TV and another is generally very small, so aside from the panel differences we've already discussed you are still getting a TV that is pretty basic quality.
OK ta, agree with regards to quality, it was more to do with general TV & angles for family viewing in a lounge where I wondered if an ips may offer more benefits than a va panel & as the one in the showroom was ips maybe it was worth swapping for. Will probably keep this one as we.may be moving next year & if so the oled jn the other room will become the main viewing tv anyway (we would be potentially downsizing 🙁) so it can go in a bedroom or something

leedebs

Well viewing angles would be better, but is it worth changing for only that? That's up to you.
It is annoying that the picture changes depending on where you sit/view but the majority of time it's only wifey and me watching so those times it's ok. I guess the unknown is what an IPS panel would look like in the same position during every day viewing for us, and when we have other guests round. Ie would the lower contrast/worse black levels be noticeable etc. Thanks for your help anyway Dodgexander

Dodgexander

If you are viewing with a light on in the room you aren't going to really notice the poorer contrast so much, but I'm just not sure its worth spending more money on just another cheaper TV.

If you save up for an OLED you'll get perfect viewing angles and a much better TV. LCD TVs that use IPS panels still have poor viewing angles compared to OLED and Plasma.

Also depends on the individual TV and the angle, some IPS panels and TVs have better viewing angles than one another, so by going for another Vestel model you could be buying into something that isn't too great in that department anyway.

leedebs

If you are viewing with a light on in the room you aren't going to really notice the poorer contrast so much, but I'm just not sure its worth spending more money on just another cheaper TV.

If you save up for an OLED you'll get perfect viewing angles and a much better TV. LCD TVs that use IPS panels still have poor viewing angles compared to OLED and Plasma.

Also depends on the individual TV and the angle, some IPS panels and TVs have better viewing angles than one another, so by going for another Vestel model you could be buying into something that isn't too great in that department anyway.
Having seen my mums Toshiba (Vestel) the viewing angle and overall picture is pretty good tbh (at least during the day). Obviously its 49" so maybe they are better panels than the 43" anyway. Don't think I will bother watching this one as it annoys the hell out if me but swmbo is ok with it so I will leave it there.
Annoyed she won't swap it but her choice.
See a Sony 43" in the Sony store today that was £349 that was ips & that looked ok but again hard to judge in a shop

leedebs

Sony tend to use BOE panels so viewing angles are better than LGs.
No idea with the vestel models which panel vendor they use, but it could be x TV uses on, while y uses another.
Well not heard of BOE before, what is BOE? Thought there was only 2 panels types now for led/lcd

leedebs

@Dodgexander this JVC (vestel) panel we have has a colour contrast shift as expected for va but the black levels turn grey rather than blue at an angle, is this another difference with ips & va or something else? Do think ips may have been our best option as swmbo never watches with any lights off anyway. ☹

Dodgexander

@Dodgexander this JVC (vestel) panel we have has a colour contrast shift as expected for va but the black levels turn grey rather than blue at an angle, is this another difference with ips & va or something else? Do think ips may have been our best option as swmbo never watches with any lights off anyway. ☹
It sounds like you're talking about raised black levels or a shift in gamma which happen a lot sooner off angle on a VA panel than IPS.

Not all IPS TVs have the best viewing angles though. For example, this LG from last year's ranges uses an IPS panel with poor viewing angles.

I don't think it's worth you changing the TV, its better to save up for a better model later down the line. But it's up to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom