43" new Tv

underoath

Novice Member
Dear users,

I found this forum very useful to get tips and overall reviews for new Tv's.

I want to replace my old tv by a new 43" Tv. My budget is around 500-600. So it has been overwhelming now due to so much offer and new tech.

I want to use the tv mainly for digital cable tv and xbox series x but I would like a TV with a good motion handling also. I tend to like the se called soap opera effect but still didnt really had that experience before.

I have some tvs in mind which one would be the best choice:

Phillips:

PUS8505
PUS7906
This new model PUS 7906 apparently has ambilight but does not mention P5 engine and instead mention Pixel Clear UHD is it a big downgrade from the last engine?

LG:
43NANO756PA which oddly mentions in the LG webpage that it has Freesync!! Which would be a plus for Xbox.

Sony:
KD-43XH8505 which has the 100hz panel.

I hope you experienced people could help me to choose.

Thanks

tvdavid

the Sony one

Dodgexander

Why is that so? So I can only experience it on bluray films and so?
Its to do with frame rate. Sport is broadcast at 50fps, and to interpolate 50fps you need a TV that can refresh at 100hz or more.
For films, and older TV that's lower frame rate, you can interpolate it on a 60hz TV no problem.

120hz is just better all round anyway, even for films and TVs. Allows you to interpolate more frames and make them even smoother.

underoath

Novice Member
Its to do with frame rate. Sport is broadcast at 50fps, and to interpolate 50fps you need a TV that can refresh at 100hz or more.
For films, and older TV that's lower frame rate, you can interpolate it on a 60hz TV no problem.

120hz is just better all round anyway, even for films and TVs. Allows you to interpolate more frames and make them even smoother.

So all other models have SOE on films and so but only the Sony with 100hz panel can do it with sports as well?

Dodgexander

So all other models have SOE on films and so but only the Sony with 100hz panel can do it with sports as well?
They don't have it by default. Its a setting you can turn on if you want too. But otherwise, yeah. Although 120hz is better all-round if you want to use it.

underoath

Novice Member
They don't have it by default. Its a setting you can turn on if you want too. But otherwise, yeah. Although 120hz is better all-round if you want to use it.
I just missed the sony sale event. What would be the best option considering the other tv's? Is there any big differences on the 2 phillips? I dont understand why a model from 2021 has the Pixel Precise engine instead of P5.

I have another option now which is the Panasonic TX-40HXW804, is it also a viable option?

Dodgexander

Picture processing engines don't change much year to year. I wouldn't think about that when you purchase, at all. Instead consider things like panel type and refresh rate which make a bigger difference to picture quality.

Also consider just not buying a smaller/cheaper TV at all, there's very little value in buying them nowadays in the 4k HDR era. None of these TVs are going to work problem free with a HDR signal, which in itself is a problem since you can't easily disable it.

underoath

Novice Member
Picture processing engines don't change much year to year. I wouldn't think about that when you purchase, at all. Instead consider things like panel type and refresh rate which make a bigger difference to picture quality.

Also consider just not buying a smaller/cheaper TV at all, there's very little value in buying them nowadays in the 4k HDR era. None of these TVs are going to work problem free with a HDR signal, which in itself is a problem since you can't easily disable it.
VA are better than IPS? The Panasonic actually is not cheaper so I thought that in general it has better panels but I dont really know.

Dodgexander

Most people nowadays choose VA. But there are still some advantages to IPS. It depends on your viewing conditions and personal preferences. As a basic rule, VA is best if you view directly in-front, and want to use the TV in darker conditions to enjoy better contrast and blacks. But IPS is better if you don't like motion blur, and you want to view the TV at a variety of angles or during the day.

Panasonic 40" models are very, very expensive for what they are, but they are good TVs.

The problem with buying at this size is nothing really stands out as being a good TV, so no matter how much money you spend you are not going to get something conceivalby better than the very cheapest of TVs. A lot of my recommendations at this size are therefore to spend less, rather than more. You should be able to find some discounted 2020 stock at the moment. If you want VA look at Samsung, Hisense or TCL models at 43". If you want IPS look at LG since they usually have better value TVs than Philips or Sony. Make sure not to look at new 2021 stock as they are usually ovepriced.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom