Question 43" FHD or 4K, Sony, Samsung or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Aberdeen Tom, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Aberdeen Tom

Aberdeen Tom
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I'm looking for a new 40/43" TV. We sit about 8 feet from the TV but size is restricted by location, seating is up to about 20 degrees either side. Watch a mixture of TV and movies (I guess most content is HD but unlikely to be viewing much native 4K content for a while), also use it for still image slideshows (important), no gaming.

Picture quality is main priority. After a fair bit of research my shortlist is:

Sony KDL-43W805c - FHD
    Samsung UE40J6240 - FHD

Sony KD-43XD8088 - 4K
    Panasonic TX-40DX600/700B - 4K
    Samsung UE40KU6400 - 4K

So, which do you think will give the best image quality? Will Full HD TVs actually give a better picture for HD content or the upsampled 4K? And how about for still image slideshows? My instinct is that the 4K will be noticeable on still images even at long viewing distance as you have more time to study the picture unlike moving images.

At the moment I'm swaying toward one of the Sonys and away from the Samsung due to reported judder.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Tom

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    SD stuff will look worse in UHD. HD won't look any different. For images it will be the same based on resolution. So anything that has any less than 1280x720 especially and to a lesser extent less than 1920x1080 you may see worse quality.

At 8 feet from a 43" TV though I'm not sure you would even notice the pixels of 720p vs 1080p though it's pretty far.

All your choices are good TVs in the respected price brackets.

At your distance you won't notice UHD on a 43" TV but if you don't care about SD content it doesn't matter.

3. Maxxd

Maxxd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the same dilema. At that distance and size you won't have any benefit from 4K so you can discard those. You can save yourself from suffering from the upscalling to SD and HD (which may be terrible in some UHD panels).

Regarding FHD, I don't know Sony's price, but the Samsung has better contrast and blacks, uniformity and handles motion and judder very well.

When comparing both Samsung seems to be a little better in everything, while sharing the same disavantages (limited angles and peak brightness), but it won't too much relevant - I actually bought a J6240 a few days ago.

4. Aberdeen Tom

Aberdeen Tom
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies. Seems like I may as well go with the FHD models, I'll see if I can find somewhere to compare them, though that might prove tricky as they seem to be pretty thin on the ground.

I'm still wondering whether I might be able to tell the difference between the FHD and 4K models with still images as I've got pretty good eyesight and still images are a lot less forgiving than moving ones. Again I'll have to try and find somewhere to compare for myself.

5. Matt wS

Matt wS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have been astonished by how the 43XD80 handles SD content.

Your viewing angles are doable, but any more than that and degradation is starting to get noticeable.

I haven't done much with viewing stills yet, but I did try sticking a couple of shots from my D700 on that I exported from Lightroom at UHD res, and the results were impressive. Personally, I have to be less than a foot from the screen to see the pixellation.

6. therightangle

therightangle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did you go with in the end? I too wish to use the TV for displaying still images and am looking for 40-43

7. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    The Samsung 40J6240 does not have better blacks and contrast than the W805C Sony, the latest (40") to come out of the factory aren't even 100Hz anymore (which may be the reason the Auto Motion Plus menu on most J6240 lacks a 'Blur reduction' function in the custom menu)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  8. cuecard1

cuecard1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought i was right that the 40j6240 had 100hz when they first came out.
    Is there still a chance that some older stock may still be being sold with the 100hz and wonder if any of the latest 50j6240 or higher only have 50hz.
    I am waiting on delivery of the 40j6240.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    I think it seems a safer bet to go for the curved J6300, at least that is well reviewed in various places. Its possible also since its a curved model its less likely to have different panel types.

10. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    I 'think' there are indeed still some around. Someone bought one in the UK not all that long ago (late December) but I don't know what the production date of that unit was ...
    The other sizes all still seem to have a 100hz panel in them but as mentioned in another thread the firmware seems to have a limitation in that the Auto Motion Plus custom settings are missing a Blur Reduction setting that should be there in 100Hz Samsungs:

(this is that 100hz 40" btw that was bought late December)
    [​IMG]

But it can be restored by changing the model number in the service menu. If you choose the J6400 you even get 3D capability :cool: (this model is listed on the South American Samsung pages and officially supports 3D; some users on a German forum have tried it)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  11. cuecard1

cuecard1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any info anywhere which shows how to get to the service menu?

I remember getting into the Samsung 40EH5000 service menu a few years ago, but i doubt the same sequence ie power off then press 0 x x x to enter.

12. cuecard1

cuecard1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the TV now and its a newer model with the 50/60hz panel by the look of it.
    I have the auto motion plus custom settings just the same as your image above, but no
    blur reduction.
    A sticker on the e-manual in the box says 22-11-2016

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    Isn't blur reduction BFI? If so on the 2015 Samsung's it's best not used anyway? I know it caused lots of flicker and drop in brightness until the 2016 models.

I wouldn't worry so much about panel Hz. You can't input higher than 60 anyway. There are very few advantages, just because a panel is 120hz does not mean it won't have good motion or less blur.

14. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    To get in the normal service menu (so you can check whether it says 60 or 120Hz): (from standby) INFO -> MENU -> MUTE -> POWER (back to standby to exit)

To change the tv model I think you have to be in the Advanced service menu and that requires quite a bit more effort: Extended Service Menu - SamyGO
    But be aware, a slight mish*t of a button and you might end up bricking your set so perhaps just stick to checking out the refresh rate with method 1 (the lack of a Blur Reduction setting does not mean the service menu will say 60Hz; [most of] the models with 120Hz in the service menu also lack this setting). Changing the model should be listed in the 'Option' sub-menu I gather. Don't really have much personal experience with Samsung TV's but I'm sure there is much more info out there about the extended service menu (perhaps even on this forum)

[​IMG]