• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

43" 4K TV advice needed

waliaan

Novice Member
Hi Guys,

I have been browsing through the forums to learn about the TVs and stuff. I am looking to buy a 4K TV to be mainly used for movies/netflix (I have 4k subscription of BT sports as well). The vieewing distance is 2 metre. What should be the perfect size for 4k TV. Will 49" will be too big (upscaling of non 4K content will ruin it) or should I stick to 43". The ambient lighting of thr room is medium bright. Going by the Dodgexander graph, 4K is worth it.

Here are few of the options I have compiled.

1. LG 43UK6400PLF - 350 gbp
2. LG 43UK6750PLD - 399 gbp
3. Samsung 43NU7400 - 399 gbp

50 inch options

1. Samsung 49nu7300 - it is curved though? any disadvantages? (most of the time there will only be two people sitting in front of the TV)

2. LG 49UK6400PLF

Going through the forums, I read that samsung one may or may not have VA panels anymore.(again the room will be medium bright).

Dodgexander

I'd say at 2m you should definitely go for the biggest TV you can get, even a 65" if you can fit and afford that and you want UHD material to look its best. I have BT sports UHD on my 65" TV and I have to view very close to it to notice the increased picture quality of the UHD channel compared to the HD ones.

By going smaller then it starts to make sense if you still want poorer quality content to look good. 50"-55" would be a good size for HD but the bigger the better with UHD. The smaller and farther you view, the less likely you will notice any upscaling.

As for recommendations, if you do not need wide viewing angles then the curved Samsung you are looking at would be a decent option, curved holds no advantage nor disadvantage with a TV. The reason the 49" curved Samsung TVs are good is because unlike other models Samsung sell at 49" they will always be VA type panels.

At 50" size (not 49") though its different, with models available from Samsung, LG, Philips and Hisense that are all recommended in the best buy guide here: My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

If you can not raise the size or budget I would recommend to go for whichever of these 50" models holds the best overall package in terms of price and length of warranty. Picture quality between them all will be similar.

waliaan

Novice Member
Sorry i forgot to mention my budget, its max 400 pounds only. Then I guess samsung curved one is a good choice.

waliaan

Novice Member
I'd say at 2m you should definitely go for the biggest TV you can get, even a 65" if you can fit and afford that and you want UHD material to look its best. I have BT sports UHD on my 65" TV and I have to view very close to it to notice the increased picture quality of the UHD channel compared to the HD ones.

By going smaller then it starts to make sense if you still want poorer quality content to look good. 50"-55" would be a good size for HD but the bigger the better with UHD. The smaller and farther you view, the less likely you will notice any upscaling.

As for recommendations, if you do not need wide viewing angles then the curved Samsung you are looking at would be a decent option, curved holds no advantage nor disadvantage with a TV. The reason the 49" curved Samsung TVs are good is because unlike other models Samsung sell at 49" they will always be VA type panels.

At 50" size (not 49") though its different, with models available from Samsung, LG, Philips and Hisense that are all recommended in the best buy guide here: My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

If you can not raise the size or budget I would recommend to go for whichever of these 50" models holds the best overall package in terms of price and length of warranty. Picture quality between them all will be similar.

Which one do you recommend between Samsung 49NU7300 or Philips 50PUS6703? philips one is only 9 pounds more. Which one of them will get a better resale value? since I will most probably keep this TV for 2 odd years, because I will be moving out of the UK. or any other TV you recommend in particular.

I am willing to go for samsung one, but occasionally friends will come over to watch football match and I would not want them complaining about the bad viewing angles.90% of the time it will be two person watching in front of the TV.

Dodgexander

I am willing to go for samsung one, but occasionally friends will come over to watch football match and I would not want them complaining about the bad viewing angles.90% of the time it will be two person watching in front of the TV.
Both those TV have narrow viewing angles. If you want wide viewing angles you should instead look at models with IPS panels.

See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

There is no best of both worlds with LCDs, good picture quality from the front is not good picture quality from the side.

In the best guide there are recommendations if you want wide viewing angles including TVs from LG and Sony/Panasonic.

waliaan

Novice Member
Both those TV have narrow viewing angles. If you want wide viewing angles you should instead look at models with IPS panels.

See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

There is no best of both worlds with LCDs, good picture quality from the front is not good picture quality from the side.

In the best guide there are recommendations if you want wide viewing angles including TVs from LG and Sony/Panasonic.

Max viewing angle will not be more than 30-40 degrees, that too rarely so can you tell according to this if it will be too bad? I will be going richersounds today to see the ambient light effect in person before making the decision between these two.

The only other 50" TV is hisense A6250 - 350 pounds and A6550 - 400 pounds. How do these fair as comapred to the samsung and philips one above?

Dodgexander

With TVs with VA panels the picture starts to look worse at a 20-30 degree angle either side of the TV (40-60 degree cone). So it really depends how important the viewing position at the tightest angle is going to be to you. If most watching is direct in front it may not matter so much.

If there is always going to be someone watching at 30-40 degrees, look at IPS panels instead.

Viewing and judging in the shop isn't wise to make conclusions but if you tell richer you are concerned about narrow viewing angles from VA type panels they should be able to show you the difference between an IPS panel at an angle compared to VA.

50" Philips models are equal in spec/pq to the Hisense A series. You may find you prefer Philips picture processing though. Smart TV is basic

49" Samsung (curved) NU73 series again is very similar in spec but its a curved model. You may find picture processing better on the Samsung and Samsung's smart TV platform is better.

50" Hisense models, they tend to be better priced than others with similar picture quality but fall short a little with picture processing.

But all these models are using VA type panels with narrow viewing angles so you may be better off with 49" models from Sony, Panasonic or LG instead.

waliaan

Novice Member
With TVs with VA panels the picture starts to look worse at a 20-30 degree angle either side of the TV (40-60 degree cone). So it really depends how important the viewing position at the tightest angle is going to be to you. If most watching is direct in front it may not matter so much.

If there is always going to be someone watching at 30-40 degrees, look at IPS panels instead.

Viewing and judging in the shop isn't wise to make conclusions but if you tell richer you are concerned about narrow viewing angles from VA type panels they should be able to show you the difference between an IPS panel at an angle compared to VA.

50" Philips models are equal in spec/pq to the Hisense A series. You may find you prefer Philips picture processing though. Smart TV is basic

49" Samsung (curved) NU73 series again is very similar in spec but its a curved model. You may find picture processing better on the Samsung and Samsung's smart TV platform is better.

50" Hisense models, they tend to be better priced than others with similar picture quality but fall short a little with picture processing.

But all these models are using VA type panels with narrow viewing angles so you may be better off with 49" models from Sony, Panasonic or LG instead.

thanks man for taking your time to reply to each one of us. Really appreciated. As i said 90% percent of the time there will be just two of us sitting directly in front of the TV. So I think I will be going for VA then for much better colors. Now, between samsung curved nu7300 and philips 6703 with ambient light, samsung one will have better processing. but what about upscaling non 4k content. Which one of these will do that better. If the difference is not noticable. I think philips with ambilight would be better option or should i go with the trust factor of samsung

Dodgexander

Well I think both the Samsung and Philips picture processing will be very good. I can't say one is better than the other. Some people have personal taste and prefer one manufacturer to the next. Hisense models are ones where you may notice picture processing isn't quite as good, but again, its still pretty damn good.

Upscaling wise both Philips and Samsung models will be good, I would choose between the Samsung and Philips based on:

Do you prefer a flat or curved TV aesthetically?
Do you prefer better smart TV or ambilight?

That should make the decision a little easier. If you plan on using the ambilight only for static bias lighting you can always buy your own LED strip lights to put round the back of the Samsung also.

There are also other options that are good at this size:

There is a 50" (Not 49") Samsung NU74 series which improves on the NU73 with a wide colour gamut for HDR.

and LG also sell 50" (not 49") models in their UK6xxx series which match the TVs you are currently looking at but with very good smart TV.

waliaan

Novice Member
Well I think both the Samsung and Philips picture processing will be very good. I can't say one is better than the other. Some people have personal taste and prefer one manufacturer to the next. Hisense models are ones where you may notice picture processing isn't quite as good, but again, its still pretty damn good.

Upscaling wise both Philips and Samsung models will be good, I would choose between the Samsung and Philips based on:

Do you prefer a flat or curved TV aesthetically?
Do you prefer better smart TV or ambilight?

That should make the decision a little easier. If you plan on using the ambilight only for static bias lighting you can always buy your own LED strip lights to put round the back of the Samsung also.

There are also other options that are good at this size:

There is a 50" (Not 49") Samsung NU74 series which improves on the NU73 with a wide colour gamut for HDR.

and LG also sell 50" (not 49") models in their UK6xxx series which match the TVs you are currently looking at but with very good smart TV.

Other 50'' options are way too costly (500 pounds). And you have now cleared my each and every doubt m thanks a lot again . I will be going with Philips one as I read in one of your post that smart TV wise they will all become slow with time and one can use roku Aur chromecast anyways . Dynamic ambilight is one very unique and cool feature It really enhances the viewing experience.

waliaan

Novice Member
Bought the roku streaming stick + with 4k support, and in my opinion, 4k content via Roku looks a lot better than the native Netflix App on TV. I have also seen on my friend's LG 6470 that Native Netflix app does not perform good. i highly recommend getting Roku Stick to enjoy the 4k experience.

Dodgexander

Bought the roku streaming stick + with 4k support, and in my opinion, 4k content via Roku looks a lot better than the native Netflix App on TV. I have also seen on my friend's LG 6470 that Native Netflix app does not perform good. i highly recommend getting Roku Stick to enjoy the 4k experience.
Brilliant arent they. They even have auto frame switching which means they send the TV the correct frame rate without any extra processing needed when using the built in apps. That option if you haven't enabled it is in the settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom