42WLT68 Backlight Buzz

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by CasDon, Apr 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. CasDon

CasDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Got my WLT68 on thursday as a swap out for a faulty wlt66 and boy am I pleased with it, picture quality from SD is astounding, can't quite put my finger on it but it is so much of an improvement over the 66, so in a way I'm glad that the 66 went faulty.

Slight gripe is that I seem to have the dreaded backlight buzz. I set it down to my prefered 50-70 but noticed within minutes that it was buzzing.

Under most conditions it isn't very audible but late at night on talking only scenes it is very noticable.

As a work round I've changed the backlight up to 94 (buzz appears at 93) and set the brightness down to compensate a bit.

But my question is has anyone had their backlight buzz fixed if so how easy was it?

Having had the 66 swapped for this I'm in two minds whether to try to get this resolved as the rest of the set is a beauty:rolleyes:

2. jackobite

jackobite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    im after a toshiba 42ins wlt 68......and im delighted to see your good words on your new "Tosh".....unfortunately...ive been unable to find one in any of my outlets in aberdeen....for some strange reason,and ive tried...i can,t find any...even in jogn lewis...now im thinking of the new panasonic viera 42ins...unfortunately..john lewis did,t have one in stock!!! i tell you it,s not easy buying a new tv nowaday,s......any better 42ins around....? jackobite..

3. CasDon

CasDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    There's a reason for that.

The 42WLT68's are no longer manufactured and have been replaced by the X3030D series.

You lose one HDMI input, and the active vision control I believe but gain a true 1080p panel on the 42" version.

4. madam

madam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in purchasing the 42X3030D which apparently meant to be better in picutre than the WLT68 which incendentally this replace. Has anyone owned a set and how do they find it. I was originally going to buy the Sony KDLV2500, but I understand the picture quality is not as great though I like the design. Please can anyone advice?

5. Nogbad

Nogbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a 32C3030DB recently and it has the buzz thing too if the backlight is dropped below 93. I have adjusted the settings to something I am happy with with the backlight at 95 - so no buzz. The backlight is obviously controlled by a less than state of the art dimmer (many standard dimmers do buzz). This seems to be common to Toshiba LCDs no matter what the model so I don't think I will bother sending it back. As I said, I am happy with the setting I have and on upscaled DVDs the picture quality is superb - breathtaking on LOTR special edition movies. I bought the TV from an internet supplier for £490 so I comparing it with an £800 Sony is academic - one can get a cracking dimmer switch for £300. :D

One gripe I do have is the qualty of picture generated by many Sky channels. I guess this is because the original programme was shot in some low quality format. It is really noticeable because one can go from a grainy programme to a truly striking picture quality in the adverts. I guess one cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear but I never realised so many older programmes were of such poor quality - although I suppose it is obvious if one thinks about it. :suicide: They are not going to show off HD TVs with some 1960s programme in the showrooms.