Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

42wh36 yellow discoloration...please advise/help

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jumbopants, Sep 19, 2004.

1. jumbopants

jumbopants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got a problem with my Toshiba 42wh36, on the right hand side of the screen near the edge I've got what looks like a yellow stain which is very noticeable, it starts about 6" down the screen and then takes the form of a backward D shape and is about 10" long overall. I rang Toshiba who sent out the surposed local authorised repairer for Cardiff - A Mr Patell. Mr Patell says that it is within Toshiba's standards and said that he will report back to Toshiba but he does not think that they will do anything based on the information that he is going to give them, because to him that is perfectly exceptable to have 5-8% of the screen with a yellow mark on it. We then spent the next hour with me telling him that it was totally unexceptable but going around in circles, he said "it was to do with the earths magnetic field and if I moved the set to a different part of the room/house then it could very well go away" which led me to believe that he did not have a clue.
    There is another problem with the screen, there are like water marks in about 4 different places which are on the inside which he said is where the screen is made of 2 pieces and it looks like the one piece of plastic has reacted with the other!, or there is condensation in there! again I don't think he has a clue. Mr Patell is going to get authorisation from Toshiba to replace the screen which he also said could make the yellow go away, I've not heard back from him as yet as to when this is going to take place though from over a week ago.
    The only thing Mr Patell done to check the set was go into the service level menu and check the purity on the red/green/blue for a spit second on each one because he said if he stays in there too long it will damage the set, all the red/green and blue were ok according to him! but it still leaves me with my yellow mark on the right hand side of the set. I said the set needs to have the service level convergency set up correctly but he said it did not need it, it was all ok according to him. He said that he has come across this before and told Toshiba, who say that is totally acceptable/normall to have 5-8% of the screen with a prominent yellow mark. I then said to Mr Patell why doesn't it say in the Toshiba manual to expect colour abnormalities in the picture, and why don't they tell people this prior to purchasing the set? again we just went around for ages with him saying - Yes I can see there is a yellow mark on the picture but it's within Toshiba standards.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Is it acceptable by Toshiba standards? Just because the set is a rear projection I am surpose to put up with a yellow mark on the screen? The rest of the picture is excellent but your eye is always drawn over to the yellow because you know there is an abnormality in the colour which drives me crazy.
    Any help on this matter is much appreciated.....

2. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You gotta love 'em....
    The yellow stain comes from one of the lenses in one of the tubes not being correctly focused. It's either the red or green, being that your stain is yellow probably both.
    I've had the same problem with green and red stains on either side and none of the engineers that wre called out wanted to fix it at first. The TV has to be opened, you have to find the board with the three lenses/tubes for the three primary colurs and adjust the focus on something that's called a focus block, i would advise an engineer doing that.

Once i mentioned to the engineer that i know what the problem is and that it can be cured by adjusting the electrical/mechanical focus of the lenses he gave in and did the procedure, cost him about 2 1/2 hours and the picture is pin sharp now with no coloutr stains.

The little watermarks don't sound so good though you should probably go for a swap.

3. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    so annoying!! hope you got it sorted.
    it got the toshiba back in Jan and although no colour stain i had a streak down the center of the screen, bit like the contract was different whent he picture pans from left to right. after a lot of messing and 5 returns to the repair shop, Toshiba sent out one of their own engineers, i was told about a week, but the guy rang me 10 mins later! i was impressed. he informed me that the streak was to to the upconverter and was within toshibas standards!!! Rubbish! how can a hit you in the face annoying fault that distracts your enjoyment be acceptable. it simply cannot and we must be told about these before we splash out our hard earnt cash.
    its a good job these forums are about, before i make my next purchace i check out these pages. :mad:

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shops and sellers are all out for our hard earned cash to rip us off.

Toshiba got real quality control issues or they just don't give a **** about it.

5. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hopefully they have fixed this but if not then forget "toshiba standards" - tell them its not up to YOUR standards (ie a reasonable consumers standards) and you will take them to small claims if they dont fix it.

You have a reasonable time (say a couple of years) to do this as a statutory right (ie forget the 12 month warranty, you have statutory rights as well).