42px80 hdmi auto-switch

numbelino

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I have PS3 connected by HDMI 1 to my 42px80. When I turn on the PS3, the tv doesn't auto-switch to HDMI 1 - isn't it suposed to do that?
Is anyone else having this problem? :(
Thanks!

Please? Anyone? It's a very simple question to all of the proud owners of the X80 series...do you have it working or not?
Thanks again! :)

go into the setup menu and change hdmi control to on

sorry its power on preferance set to av

sorry its power on preferance set to av

I've got the same problem with my Virgin V+ box going into HDMI-1. I have the power-on pref set to AV, but it doesn't make any difference - it won't auto-switch. I'm just learning to live with it...

Just seen the manual, and it only mentions SCART with Power on Preference set to "AV"...but I'll try...

Universal remote + discrete IR codes + macros in activities= sorted.

Universal remote + discrete IR codes + macros in activities= sorted.

I was wondering about that. However, presumably that will only solve the problem if you actually switch on the TV or the source machine using the universal remote? When you actually power on the TV manually using its on/off switch, the remote isn't involved so the auto-switching problem will still exist?

Seems obvious to me that this will be the case so excuse the daft question, but I'd just like confirmation!

Discrete power IR codes get around that. For each activity, the macro sets your equipment to the correct state. So it doesn't matter if one or more item is switch on, off or on the wrong input(s)

ie

Play DVD
1-TV power on
2-DVD player on
3- Amp power on
4- Delay x seconds (wait for the things to boot up)
5- TV HDMI 1
6- Amp input DVD

All Power Off
1- TV power off
2- DVD power off
3- amp power off

Discrete power IR codes get around that. For each activity, the macro sets your equipment to the correct state. So it doesn't matter if one or more item is switch on, off or on the wrong input(s)

ie

Play DVD
1-TV power on
2-DVD player on
3- Amp power on
4- Delay x seconds (wait for the things to boot up)
5- TV HDMI 1
6- Amp input DVD

All Power Off
1- TV power off
2- DVD power off
3- amp power off

How do you pick exactly HDMI 1 with this macro? In the AV selection, you must go down or up with the selection...what if the input selected isn't in the same place you had when the macro was created?

That's very interesting. So the remote will actually switch the TV on from power off (not just standby)?

The uni remote I am interested in is the Logitech Harmony 555, which I know will operate a V+ box. Do you happen to know if that particular model will perform the functions you have mentioned?

Thanks.

Funny, I have my HDMI 1 port connected to the V+ BOX and it goes straight to it every time, same if I connect the PS 3 on the HDMI 1.

I have my setting set to Start up AV.

Funny, I have my HDMI 1 port connected to the V+ BOX and it goes straight to it every time, same if I connect the PS 3 on the HDMI 1.

I have my setting set to Start up AV.

I have to try this at home - tonight I'll give my impressions...

I have to try this at home - tonight I'll give my impressions...

Just realised you have to make sure the V+ box is on and already booted up and then turn the TV on. I always power down all of my stuff as my electricity bills recently have made me feel a bit feint.

I know that is obvious but sometimes the obvious gets missed.

How do you pick exactly HDMI 1

Once switched on (either with your standard power toggle or discrete power) Press HDMI 1 button on the learning remote - or use it within a macro - it'll go directly to HDMI 1. Exactly like pressing "7" on your TV remote. You no longer have to press < CH > several times to go from a channel to 7 (not pressing 7)

So the remote will actually switch the TV on from power off (not just standby)?

A macro won't physically connect the plug to the mains no:rotfl: If your TV has a "hard off" power switch like old CRT TV's then it won't switch it on, it has to be on standby. But all TV's have standby, so from that it'll switch it on. So you send "power on" and it switches on. Send it again and nothing happens, it's already on. It only switches off if you send "power off" IR command.

Basically you just need a remote with discrete IR code database, or ability to import the codes from elseware- ie Pronto CCF, hex or MXF/MXD.

I'm not sure if my MX-850 database includes discrete codes for thread model, possibly another earlier plasma codes might work. I do know it has power and input codes for Samsung M87.

Just realised you have to make sure the V+ box is on and already booted up and then turn the TV on.

That's what I always do - still doesn't auto-switch.

I've just emailed Virgin to ask if there's a setting that determines whether the V+ sends a control signal to a TV over HDMI (as mentioned in the Panny's manual). Don't hold out much hope though.

I'll also try a different HDMI cable in case that's a factor.

I think if your set and source supports anynet it might switch over. None of my HDMI sources switch over automatically, if fact I'd rather it didn't do it..ie I might switch on the DVD player to load a disc, but want the TV on freeview until a bit later.

Once switched on (either with your standard power toggle or discrete power) Press HDMI 1 button on the learning remote - or use it within a macro - it'll go directly to HDMI 1. Exactly like pressing "7" on your TV remote. You no longer have to press < CH > several times to go from a channel to 7 (not pressing 7)

A macro won't physically connect the plug to the mains no:rotfl: If your TV has a "hard off" power switch like old CRT TV's then it won't switch it on, it has to be on standby. But all TV's have standby, so from that it'll switch it on. So you send "power on" and it switches on. Send it again and nothing happens, it's already on. It only switches off if you send "power off" IR command.

Basically you just need a remote with discrete IR code database, or ability to import the codes from elseware- ie Pronto CCF, hex or MXF/MXD.

I'm not sure if my MX-850 database includes discrete codes for thread model, possibly another earlier plasma codes might work. I do know it has power and input codes for Samsung M87.

I have a Sony RM-VL600 remote - do you think I have this option to pick directly the input?

It's a cheap universal remote- I doubt it. And even if you can, where would you put those learnt buttons? It has no LCD to name them as you like. However if you have a mate with a remote with discretes learn them onto yours. That's what I did for my brothers- he's got a MX-500 (simple standalone remote) I have MX-850 with discretes so just learnt the codes from mine to his. Makes it so much quicker going to that input, rather than pressing "source" about 5 times.

MX-850 is about £100, considering value of your screen plus probably seperates, it's well worth it. Add macros and 10 button presses plus three remotes (source, TV and amp) are bundled into one :thumbsup:

Example of a macro with discretes

macro.jpg

and Samsung 2007 range (probably covers Samsungs plasma as well)

urcremote.jpg

Sorted! To my amazement, it seems the cable was to blame. I was using a £30 Phillips HDMI cable between the V+ and the TV. I tried swapping that with the supposedly poor-quality freebie cable supplied by Virgin...and suddenly the auto-switching works!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom