42PX70 common sense run-in

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by yetanotherbob, Apr 25, 2007.

1. yetanotherbob

yetanotherbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    There have been a lot of comments on this and some people seem to be running their set on unwatchable settings for no apparent reason

Using the following settings (taken from http://www.*) from Day one will cause your set no damage at all and will actually be watchable.

Picture Menu

Viewing Mode: Cinema
    Contrast: No change
    Brightness: 2 clicks left
    Colour: No change
    Sharpness: No Change
    Colour Balance: Warm
    Colour Management: Off
    P-NR: Off

The following common sense tips (also from *) will suffice during the TV's first few weeks:

Avoid prolonged static images being displayed anywhere on the screen, including logos and menu bars, idle computer images...etc.

Avoid watching shows in pillar box or letterbox format. Use the zoom or change film aspect ratios to get rid of them.

Using grey side masks or panel can reduce screen burn risks in pillar boxed format, but try not to get in that situation in the first place.

Don't use excessive contrast level setting in the early days.

Image retention is temporary and can disappear quickly with uniform screen grey out or snow images.

There really is nothing else you need to do, enjoy your TV from day one and you might even find the missus likes it (and you) a bit more :D

Bob

2. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I'm using exactly those settings also - have a very natural and quality picture, which to be honest I may well retain after the running in period, I think it's excellent very realistic. Running in does not mean compromising picture quality in my view.

Zooming to get rid of bars is a pain though and as for those damn channel logos......

3. merlinski

merlinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This zooming to fill the screen, are we talking for the life of the screen or just while running in?

4. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I've had my set do about 200hrs now.

TBH you will ony really get screen retention with solid static images, i tried mine early on with run in settings and it looks dull and lifeless, so i just changed the settings until it looks the best it can in my eyes.

If there are static logos for any length of time than simply zoom the picture during the run in period.

The settings mentioned in the 1st post are quite good i find, although i don't like colour balance on warm, everything looks far too yellow, especially whites, and blues seem to suffer. normal colour balance looks better and more natural to my eyes. Also with sharpness of 50% whites are over accentuated, at 33% this doesn't occur.

I also find cinema mode with them settings can look cloudy and soft, for low bitrate tv shows or channels this is a good thing as it hides any artifacts.

For higher bitrate shows like Lost, films or HD, normal mode gives a sharper, clearer image. For my room conditions 60% contrast, 50% brightness, 40 to 45% colour, 0 to 33% sharpness with normal colour balance looks nice.

5. yetanotherbob

yetanotherbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I agree entirely and do actually have my panels on adjusted Normal/Normal settings as they have all effectively "run in" :D

I must admit I posted the original post because some first time plasma owners were popping up and were so terrified that they would "burn out" their new screens that they were using 25% settings on Cinema/Warm and unsurprisingly were slightly disappointed on the PQ compared to their old CRTs :).

That combined with the (in my opinion) slightly soft integrated tuner, must have worried a few people after persuading the missus that plasmas were "much better":rolleyes:

Bob

6. dreamc

dreamc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But those settings, as mentioned on that site, are after it has been run in (it states clearly on the page of operation "Now with the Panasonic Plasma TH42PX70 up and running for at least 200 hours, we're ready to proceed to our next stage."). I'm running it in on lower settings as those suggested there...

7. mat060572

mat060572

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I assume this thread is recommended to new owners of the 37PX70 too:

Please dont shoot me down for asking this and I have been through the FAQ's but most of the links go back to posts in 2005 etc so I will raise the question again to help me and other new owners with their new toys.

I am still very nervous of this whole 200 hour initial wear in period.

I have read this from the lads at HDTVtest

The manual includes a warning about static images, image retention and permanent screen burn, which are not covered by manufacturer's warranty. While most plasma veterans will be comfortable with minor image retention in a plasma screen's early days, such as what we experienced with the TH42PX70, beginners should pay close attention to the following points during the plasma's initial operation for a few hundred hours.

Avoid prolonged static images being displayed anywhere on the screen, including logos and menu bars, idle computer images...etc.
    Avoid watching shows in pillar box or letterbox format. Use the zoom or change film aspect ratios to get rid of them.
    Using grey side masks or panel can reduce screen burn risks in pillar boxed format, but try not to get in that situation in the first place.
    Don't use excessive contrast level setting in the early days.
    Image retention is temporary and can disappear quickly with uniform screen grey out or snow images.

What is the best way for me to go about this. Am I worrying for nothing, surely the technology has improved since the earlier days of Plasma. I notice that the new Samsung has some feature that helps avoid screen burn.

My main concern is when the TV arrives the children will want to watch it during the day when I am at work.

All the channels they watch will have logos all over them.

Do I need to tell them they can not watch the TV? :lease: help

8. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Those settings that are recommended by HDTV are a crock, they look awful and sorry are nowhere near where they need to be let alone D6500.

The pro panels do when set like this but I'm sorry the Vieras don't. Warm is way over the top with red push and a yellow cast to it. This is certainly not D6500. The normal colour settings look far more natural than the warm setting and the Cinema setting on these sets is lifeless.

Just take the set out of dynamic, normal or cinema is fine (if you like it), colour on normal set contrast to between half & three quaters, colour, & brightness to suit yourself and you will be fine.

Set mine from day one to these normal viewing settings, my son plays games on it with no issues whatsoever. People are over paronoid re burn.

9. mat060572

mat060572

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    BUmp - anyone else?

Not sure us new owners are paranoid but personally I have just come to the dark side after having owned LCD and my knowledge of plasma technology is very limited.

I will inevitably learn a lot more from hanging around on the Plasma forum when my Panny arrives.

10. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The HDTV Settings have the following description before them -

The following settings are calibrated for HD broadcast and HD DVD performance via HDMI input in a dark viewing environment. There are several reasons why they won't work for you, as they can all affect `final' picture quality.

Personal preference
    Ambient light
    Source material
    Player
    Intramodel variation

I Have only had the TV for a few hours but prefer the Normal setting By Far, I only have SD sources but as said above the Cinema Mode is Dull Reds appear almost orange? I ran the THX setup disk through and it would indicate I need more brightness, and a tough more colour, i will wait till I have a couple of hundred hours on before turning these up.

At the end of the day the look really is personal preference, My advice is always put it how you like it, I have Just exchanged this unit for a Hitachi PD9700 and as far as Contrast and Black rendering this set Rocks.

11. mat060572

mat060572

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I know I will not like those settings and am not a fan of 'cinema' settings.

Tried one calibrated setting on my LCD and it was nearly black and white :thumbsdow

So you had the Hitachi before and now have the panasonic? is that right?

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes in fact I had 2 of them, I had problems with buzzing power supplies, it was like having tinnitus permantenly, they are a good TV the detail in them is fantastically sharp on a good source, but thy can not touch the panny for Contrast and Black rendering, they were more grey I thought that was a limitation of plasma until I got the panny.

WRT settings I Have Normal/Normal, +6 Brightness and +3 colour over factory default I really Like it. With something Like Underworld evolution which i put on for a quick test the screen disappears into the frame of the TV on the dark scenes now that is Black.

13. mat060572

mat060572

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    That is what I have been missing with LCD's.

Its not right when I go in to my daughters room and envy her 15" Bush video/tv combi because of its black levels and motion handling.

I watched that Underworld film on Sky the other night and nearly threw something at my Samsung - it was shocking. It is going back and being exchanged for the Panny (only 37" though).

14. jarr

jarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My kids watch childrens tv a lot, basically your saying I can zoom in on the picture so the 'boomerang' or 'cbeebies' etc logos don't show at the top of the screen?

which is useful if so coz they watch it for ages!

15. QuackingPlums

QuackingPlums
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why does watching shows in letterbox format increase the risk of burn-in? If the letterbox masks are black then surely the plasma cells aren't "on", so nothing can burn? Am I missing something?

16. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Plasma cells are ALWAYS on. Even to display black, they are on. So technically yes if you are watching letterboxed format shows then the black area around the picture is at risk of screenburn. But I find this highly unlikely and shouldn't be worried about. Are we expected to stretch 4:3 format to 16:9 which in my opinion makes it borderline unwatchable just because of a small risk of screenburn? I don't think so.