42PX600 Running 1080p

Korum

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,Sorry if this has been covered but for anyone who owns this plasma it does actually run in 1080p through HDMI.

I set my PS3 to 1080p just to see what happened and it ran fine,I know the PX600 only has 768 lines but it does look sharper and brighter than 1080i/720p.I've heard a few people on here saying the PX600 does not support 1080p through HDMI so I thought I'd add my opinion.

No it does not,only 720p and 1080i im afraid,i have this set and im well pleased with it,not noticed any purple snakes yet either but that does not mean there not hiding from me:D

No it does not,only 720p and 1080i im afraid,i have this set and im well pleased with it,not noticed any purple snakes yet either but that does not mean there not hiding from me:D

It does accept 1080p through hdmi only but it is always downscaling to 768 no matter what anyway this tv only outputs 1024x768 only always downscaling to that no matter what is fed.

Although it will accept the 1080p signal be aware that if pairing it with the Panasonic Blu-Ray player, the player will restrict playback to 1080i.

Although it will accept the 1080p signal be aware that if pairing it with the Panasonic Blu-Ray player, the player will restrict playback to 1080i.

Yes but it is still downscaling to 1024x768p anyway isnt it.

so the px60 should in theroy accept 1080p too because ive read the px60 and px600 are basically the same tv but the px600 has a sd slot and pip function.

has anyone tried it too see if it can accept 1080p?

Does the px60 or px600 do 1:1 pixel mapping when using a scaler such as my DVDO VP50, I had a search but couldn't find any definitive answers?

so the px60 should in theroy accept 1080p too because ive read the px60 and px600 are basically the same tv but the px600 has a sd slot and pip function.

has anyone tried it too see if it can accept 1080p?

My 42" PX60 does accept 1080P over HDMI from my Marantz DV9600.

Best wishes,

Paul.

px60 accepts the 1080p output from the kiss player i have. It just downscales it.

yeah,it downscales so it is not true 1080p

Panasonic plasmas are supposed to do a better job at downscaling, than upscaling.

Although I've always had my Marantz DV9600 set at 720P for SD DVD's.

Waxxy just wanted to know if the PX600 accepted the 1080P signal, I think he already knows it gets downscaled from the posts above.

Best wishes,

Paul.

thanks paul at least it will accept the 1080p signals from a playstation 3 or blueray player.i tried a 1080p signal on my lexsor hdlcd tv an the screen just went black.

but atleast it will display a 1080p signal on the screen even if it is downscaled at least i can plug the playstation 3 into a hdmi socket and not use the component or vga which i want to leave free for my 360.

i was just a little worried i may have not got a future proof plasma but im glad i bought it now i just need to get my house decorated so they can deliver it.

and hopefully when i doi get it in about 2 weeks time the purple snakes problem will be sorted out or at least they will know whats causing it by what ive read today it looks like a fix is justt around the corner well i hope it is :)

thanks again paul :)

Yes but what is the point in setting such a high res like 1080p, if the set is downscaling anyway. Dont you think the TV willl look better if it is set to the nearest res of the TV. Then it dont have to work so hard at downscaling or upscaling?

Im sure the PS3 will let you change res to 720p wont it?

Purple snakes,

If your source material (be it on HD-DVD or BlueRay) is encoded in 1080p it is ALWAYS better to output it at that resolution!!! WHY? Simply because if you set output to 720p the source gets scaled TWO TIMES:

1st time in the player from 1080p to 720p

2nd time in the display from 720p back up to 768p, not to mention losses in the horizontal domain...

Games are a different animal since their native resoluton is what you tell it to be so it is generally better to set it to run at 720p if you don't have a 1080-pixel display...

Hope I was clear,

Cheers....

Yes but what is the point in setting such a high res like 1080p, if the set is downscaling anyway. Dont you think the TV willl look better if it is set to the nearest res of the TV. Then it dont have to work so hard at downscaling or upscaling?

Im sure the PS3 will let you change res to 720p wont it?

As I said in my first post the PQ seems more vibrant than the 1080i setting on the PS3 so what's the point in not using it.I wasn't trying to start an debate about scaling I just wanted to inform anyone who was interested that this TV supports a 1080p input.

As I said in my first post the PQ seems more vibrant than the 1080i setting on the PS3 so what's the point in not using it.I wasn't trying to start an debate about scaling I just wanted to inform anyone who was interested that this TV supports a 1080p input.

Right thats just what i wanted to know does it actualy make any difference for the better if you actualy select 1080p. You lucky thing where did you get your ps3.

Most screens look better downscaling than upscaling, all other things being equal. Also, always consider the number of scaling operations. The BR discs, and PS3 stuff is all encoded at 1080 lines. If you set the output to 720, the signal is downscaled to 720, then upscaled to 768. If you leave it set to a 1080 res, preferably P, it is just downscaled once, by the screen. Logic says this must be better, and in 99% of the cases I've seen, is borne out in fact.

Most screens look better downscaling than upscaling, all other things being equal. Also, always consider the number of scaling operations. The BR discs, and PS3 stuff is all encoded at 1080 lines. If you set the output to 720, the signal is downscaled to 720, then upscaled to 768. If you leave it set to a 1080 res, preferably P, it is just downscaled once, by the screen. Logic says this must be better, and in 99% of the cases I've seen, is borne out in fact.

What do you mean about all PS3 stuff being encoded at 1080 lines, most launch games are 720p, bit confused now

So MAW,what happens if I set my PS3 to 1080p only and run a 720p only game like resistance on my 768 line plasma.Is this the best disply setting to select?

What do you mean about all PS3 stuff being encoded at 1080 lines, most launch games are 720p, bit confused now

So MAW,what happens if I set my PS3 to 1080p only and run a 720p only game like resistance on my 768 line plasma.Is this the best disply setting to select?

I would just choose what ever looks best for you, when i select 1080i on the 360 the opening scene on king kong HD-DVD with the big kong letters look all jaggy on the edges so for that reason i select 720p and its a smoother pic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom