42px60 Hdavi Control

dazzer123

Established Member
Reaction score
Got the 42PX60 I have Sky Hd connected to Hdmi 1 and a Panasonic DMREX75 DVD Recorder connected via Hdmi 2 my question is if I am watching DVB and I turn my DVD Recorder on should the TV not switch to the appropriate Hdmi input my retailer says no but I thought that was the whole point of hdavi control shop@panasonic told me that if you use both hdmi inputs that it always defaults to hdmi 1 and not the input of the device you are switching on.

I have read my manual and can see no where that hdavi control will not work when using both hdmi inputs I intend to call Panasonic about this but just thought I would ask here first basically I need to know that if my wife or kids turn on sky or DVD recorder that the TV will switch to the appropriate input so that wife and kids don’t need to press red then blue then green twice if you catch my drift selecting inputs on panny TV’s is not the simplest process.

Update: just incase anyone might be interested I called Panasonic and they told me that both HDMI ports have the switching facility but put the problem is down to my Sky box, they say it sends switching signals even when turned off which is complete tosh in my opinion as when Sky is turned off my TV defaults to the built in freeview and not the Sky input, anyway they are sending an engineer to look at the problem and i have told them that i require a fix, replacement or refund as the switching feature is an important one to me especially since i paid £1850 for the thing and not £899 as many did.

I have just bought a DMREX25.
I too was hoping to get some advantage of HDAVI control as I have a 42PX60 as well.

As I have Sky HD on HDMI1, I connected the EX25 to HMDI2

When I power on the EX25, it does switch the TV on. But the TV comes on in the DTV channel, not the HDMI input. (even though AV is set in the Power on Preferences)
However, when I press play on the EX25 the TV does switch to HDMI2. :smashin:

Though, if the EX25 is in standby and I press Play (rather than power on, then play), it doesn't switch the TV on. :thumbsdow

However, if the TV is already switched on and tuned to something other than HDMI2, then no switching takes place :thumbsdow

I doesn't seem to respond to the Power Off commands either. If I put the TV in standby, the EX25 just keeps playing the DVD.

It all seems a bit hit and miss

Is there some setting I am missing, or do I need to force some software updates to the units?

Update: just incase anyone might be interested I called Panasonic and they told me that both HDMI ports have the switching facility but put the problem is down to my Sky box, they say it sends switching signals even when turned off which is complete tosh in my opinion as when Sky is turned off my TV defaults to the built in freeview and not the Sky input, anyway they are sending an engineer to look at the problem and i have told them that i require a fix, replacement or refund as the switching feature is an important one to me especially since i paid £1850 for the thing and not £899 as many did.

Actually not as daft as you may think. My Sony DVD recorder sends a signal via HDMI even in standby which caused my PX70 to switch to, (a blank,) HDMI1 when powered on.

Actually not as daft as you may think. My Sony DVD recorder sends a signal via HDMI even in standby which caused my PX70 to switch to, (a blank,) HDMI1 when powered on.

Hi well in my case Sky is not sending a switching signal when it is switched off when no devices are on my TV goes to DVB and stays there, where as if a switching signal was being sent the tv would switch, i had an engineer come to look at it and he said all PX60 s perform in this way which i said was unacceptable as the manual states i can have switching on both ports so i expect it i am now waiting to see what happens next i am expecting a phone call on Monday.

He also said that the switching does now operate correctly on the PX70 model?

Loz my PX60 performs in much the sameway as yours if you were to unplug Sky from Hdmi1 and leave your EX25 in 2 you would find you would get the full switching you are looking for. Shop @ Panasonic originally told me both ports have full switching as long as you only use 1 port (only 1 device plugged in via Hdmi) which makes having to Hdmi ports pretty useless in my opinion as i say my manual tells me that both ports work so i expect and need it to for ease of use for the wife & kids.

Loz my PX60 performs in much the sameway as yours if you were to unplug Sky from Hdmi1 and leave your EX25 in 2 you would find you would get the full switching you are looking for.

Thought this does seem to imply it is Sky HD that is at fault in some way, not the PX60.

I tried as you said, unplugging the Sky HD box, and sure enough the link between the EX25 and the PX60 is then perfect. :smashin:

As soon as I plug the SkyHD box back in, even on standby, and the link goes haywire again and switching doesn't fully work :mad:

Thought this does seem to imply it is Sky HD that is at fault in some way, not the PX60.

I tried as you said, unplugging the Sky HD box, and sure enough the link between the EX25 and the PX60 is then perfect. :smashin:

As soon as I plug the SkyHD box back in, even on standby, and the link goes haywire again and switching doesn't fully work :mad:

Well my take on it is a little different if Sky HD was at fault then it would be switching your TV even when Sky is in standby but this is not the case i have a feeling if you removed sky and plugged in an upscaling hdmi DVD player for instance that the problem would be the same as regards to switching, i do believe this is a problem with the 42PX60.

I tried this also remove DVD Recorder completely and put Sky HD on Hdmi 2 = no switching at all in my opinion this is totally bizzare.

Well my take on it is a little different if Sky HD was at fault then it would be switching your TV even when Sky is in standby but this is not the case i have a feeling if you removed sky and plugged in an upscaling hdmi DVD player for instance that the problem would be the same as regards to switching, i do believe this is a problem with the 42PX60.

Actually I tried that, and it still worked fine.
I have an Oppo Digital DVD player with HDMI.
It was only Sky HD that caused the HDAVI to go wrong.

I tried this also remove DVD Recorder completely and put Sky HD on Hdmi 2 = no switching at all in my opinion this is totally bizzare.

That's true, but HDMI doesn't support switching. We are fortunate that Panasonics will detect a signal turning on via HDMI1 and switch to it. Other sets don't even do that at all. You have to select all HDMI inputs manually.
e.g. the PX60 will only switch to the Oppo Digital DVD player on HDMI1. But my Philips HD LCD doesn't switch to anything automatically :thumbsdow

Hi well in my case Sky is not sending a switching signal when it is switched off when no devices are on my TV goes to DVB and stays there, where as if a switching signal was being sent the tv would switch, i had an engineer come to look at it and he said all PX60 s perform in this way which i said was unacceptable as the manual states i can have switching on both ports so i expect it i am now waiting to see what happens next i am expecting a phone call on Monday.

Please keep us posted on how you get on with Panasonic. I unfortunately have the same problem. Sky HD in HDMI 1 and Panasonic DMR-EZ25 in HDMI 2
The HDAVI control does not work. I am totally p....d off and wished I had found this post before spending about 6 - 8 hours trying to get it to work. One of the main reasons I bought the Panasonic's was for this feature. Without this feature it is very complicated to switch inputs, and my wife is now totally baffled. I don't think it is too much to expect Panasonic to accept responsibility. If it is a known issue with Sky HD it should be clearly stated in Panasonic literature. I shall be insisting on a fix or a replacement or my money back.

Hi Wellfan i am of course hoping for the best and will let u know how i get on.

Hi Wellfan i am of course hoping for the best and will let u know how i get on.
Thanks for that. Out of interest who did you contact to report the problem?
Was it the dealer who sold you the TV or Panasonic?

Thanks for that. Out of interest who did you contact to report the problem?
Was it the dealer who sold you the TV or Panasonic?

initially i contacted the dealer in my case Shop@Panasonic then i contacted Panasonic who told me that both Hdmi ports support switching and told me to call dealer again to get an engineer out.

Panasonic who told me that both Hdmi ports support switching and told me to call dealer again to get an engineer out.

If they meant HDAVI, then toth HDMI ports do support switching. I just tried it.

It is just the introduction of Sky HD that seems to screw things up.

Remember that Sky HD doesn't support HDAVI, or it it does, it perhaps doesn't do it properly, (or the HDMI CEC standard that HDAVI is the same as AFAIK). So there is no reason to believe a display like the PX60 should switch at all in in response to Sky HD. It seems to be some other property of the PX60 that enables it to switch to Sky HD via HDMI1. (e.g. it will also switch to my Oppo DVD player when connected to HDMI1, but that doesn't support HDAVI/CEC either)

Nothing in the PX60 manual implies it automatically switches to any HDMI sources. Only to HDAVI sources (or those supporting CEC AFAIK).

I am annoyed too that that I am having problems with PX60/SkyHD/EX25 combination, but I see it as Sky's problem not Panasonics.

Actually, I think this reply from Panasonic may be valid http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4369530&postcount=20
But I haven't tried disabling pin 13 yet.

I don't think it is too much to expect Panasonic to accept responsibility. If it is a known issue with Sky HD it should be clearly stated in Panasonic literature.

Why? If it's Sky's problem, why should Panasonic put it in their literature. :confused:
Other than in some readme file or support document. That might be useful I guess for people trying to identify the problem.

Isn't this similar to pin 8 switching on scart there is a 5volt trigger on pin 13 of the Hdmi ? on page 40 of my manual it says Hdmi control on ports 1+2 and that is what i expect.

Isn't this similar to pin 8 switching on scart there is a 5volt trigger on pin 13 of the Hdmi ? on page 40 of my manual it says Hdmi control on ports 1+2 and that is what i expect.

No. It isn't a simple voltage. The devices send control codes - hence the more sophisticated control like turning the volume off on the display if you have a home theatre.

Only Panasonic support it currently - HDAVI - and some new Sony stuff I believe.

When Panasonic say HDMI Control they mean HDAVI/CEC support. As you can see on page 40, that isn't a simple voltage to control switching, but a whole range of controls for different functions.

Sky doesn't support this. so no switching. Though clearly Sky HD does put some voltage on this pin, hence the erratic behaviour of HDAVI. Blame Sky, not Panasonic.

Why? If it's Sky's problem, why should Panasonic put it in their literature. :confused:
Other than in some readme file or support document. That might be useful I guess for people trying to identify the problem.

But it is not Sky's problem, it is now mine. You obviously, unlike most of the population, know about the technicalities of HDMI and HDAVI, as obviously do Panasonic, hence my expectation that Panasonic should at least mention somewhere that this HDAVI technology is not a universal one fit for all technology. I spent months researching HD televisions and DVD's and reading loads of literature on the Panasonic range before making my purchase. What use is it to identify a problem (as you suggest) after you have purchased an item, especially if the problem cannot be rectified. So I think I am quite entitled to be a bit p....d off with Panasonic and not with Sky.

If they meant HDAVI, then toth HDMI ports do support switching. I just tried it.

It is just the introduction of Sky HD that seems to screw things up.

Remember that Sky HD doesn't support HDAVI, or it it does, it perhaps doesn't do it properly, (or the HDMI CEC standard that HDAVI is the same as AFAIK). So there is no reason to believe a display like the PX60 should switch at all in in response to Sky HD. It seems to be some other property of the PX60 that enables it to switch to Sky HD via HDMI1. (e.g. it will also switch to my Oppo DVD player when connected to HDMI1, but that doesn't support HDAVI/CEC either)

Nothing in the PX60 manual implies it automatically switches to any HDMI sources. Only to HDAVI sources (or those supporting CEC AFAIK).

I am annoyed too that that I am having problems with PX60/SkyHD/EX25 combination, but I see it as Sky's problem not Panasonics.

Actually, I think this reply from Panasonic may be valid http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4369530&postcount=20
But I haven't tried disabling pin 13 yet.

Follow up to my last post. This post from loz is what I would call a helpful post. Thank you for the helpful link.

So I think I am quite entitled to be a bit p....d off with Panasonic and not with Sky.

I don't get it.
Its Sky that don't implement HDAVI.

All panasonic's literature does is explain it's equipment supports HDAVI.
So now you want to blame Panasonic because they didn't tell you Sky don't support it? :confused:

dazzer123 how did you get on?

I appreciate that you are interested in the TV automatically switching, but you can do it quite simply using the sky remote.

Press 'TV' then 'Help' to go from Sky to Freeview

or

'TV' and 'blue' to alternate between the HDMI ports (you can press any of the other coloured buttons to cycle through the AV ports - e.g. 'red' for AV1, 'yellow' for component or PC input, etc.

Hope that helps.

Rob

I appreciate that you are interested in the TV automatically switching, but you can do it quite simply using the sky remote.

Press 'TV' then 'Help' to go from Sky to Freeview

or

'TV' and 'blue' to alternate between the HDMI ports (you can press any of the other coloured buttons to cycle through the AV ports - e.g. 'red' for AV1, 'yellow' for component or PC input, etc.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Not quite sure how this deals with the HDAVI problem and the Sky HD pin 13 conflict problem. The HDAVI function is supposed to save all the button pressing you are advising. Thanks anyway if the reply was intended for me.

Hi all bit of a long story now I’m afraid Shop@Panasonic called again yesterday to again view the switching problem on my set, now bear in mind my setup of 42PX60, Sky Hd and Panasonic DMREX75 recorder. Now they said after testing panels in store they were able to replicate switching on both ports using two DVD recorders so they brought with them another Panny DVD recorder to test this on my panel they connected both recorders via Hdmi and guess what only the recorder on Hdmi 1 would switch so they tried a few more things and then promptly took my plasma off the wall to take it back to store for testing.

Around 90 Mins later they returned and said the TV was fine that they had connected two panny recorders and while both recorders were switched on pressed play on one of them and the TV promptly displayed the picture at which point they stopped playback and pressed play on the second recorder and they say the input changed and displayed the picture from the second recorder. Their theory now was that my Hdmi cables were possibly not compliant with Hdmi specification 1.3a so they came armed with their own Hdmi cables, they reconnected my recorder in Hdmi 2 and Sky hd in Hdmi 1 and sky switched and recorder did not no change there then.

After some head scratching they decided to take my EX75 recorder back to store for testing to see if that may be faulty and again after an hour or so returned saying the recorder was working fine and that when connected with another recorder as before that switching was taking place on both ports. Now the guy was totally stumped and came up with the idea that Sky hd may be the problem Shish here we go again now there is no way of proving that Sky may or may not be causing the problem but what I can say is this, if Sky hd is in Hdmi 1 and recorder in 2 Sky switches and recorder does not, Put recorder in 1 and Sky in 2 then recorder switches and Sky does not now if Sky is causing the problem and continually sending control signals as Panny technical stated to me at an earlier date then why does it not do it when in Hdmi 2 it seems to me what ever I plug in to Hdmi 2 just is not going to switch whether it be a Panny product or not.

Now to be totally fair to the guys from the store they spent a lot of time on this problem yesterday and when they left their conclusion was that everything was working fine physically but for some reason something weird was stopping things working correctly when all devices were connected up to the set, and that all they could do was to keep on to Panasonic for some indication as to why, well that is all very good but I can not stress enough that I expect a solution to this problem because if everything is working correctly then I am yet to see it.

As a point of interest I also contacted Sky yesterday and was put through to a guy in technical who was as helpful as he could be, he did show a genuine interest and even read this thread here on the forum and took All relevant details including everything that had taken place as well as everything Panasonic technical (headquarters) had said to me, he apologized that he himself could not offer any resolution to my problem but said as other users were being affected by this problem that they would look in to it as if they could fix it they would prefer to do that than nothing.

He did offer to send out one of their engineers and swap out my hd box and see if that made any difference but at this point I have declined as I can not really see it making any difference. Also I would have to say that Panasonic technical are at best unhelpful as when I call they seem to tell me one thing and when shop@panasonic call they tell them another and leave myself and the store arguing over what technical have or have not said which is most unhelpful I fully intend to keep up the pressure on both my local store and Panasonic themselves for a fix for this problem but I am not expecting anything to happen soon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom