1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PWD7 Plasma and a ????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tauntingboar, Aug 28, 2005.

1. tauntingboar

tauntingboar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just bought myself a panny 42PWD7 plasma and am currently feeding it with a Pioneer 737 dvd player (component). I've been looking for a new player, something with Pal progressive. But since I'm still pretty happy with the pq from the 737 I was wondering if a scaler might be a better option than say something like an Arcam DV79?

Thanks

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    mikethomas79

Adding an external Video Processor is a good move with the PWD7 - these Displays look best if you oversample your SD sources and Input them to the Display at 1280x720P.

The Lumagen VisionDVI (UK SRP 795.00) is a good match with the PWD7 - you can connect on the Analogue or Digital inputs on your Display.

The Analogue (RGBHV) Input is more flexible as it has better support for a wider range of 50Hz signals.

Adding a new DVD player obviously may have sonic benefits and there can also be advantages to using a better player as a higher quality 'transport' to 'feed' the Lumagen Processor; though that's maybe for another day.

Best regards

Joe

3. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    im still learning here , but is there any difference to picture quality when connecting a scaler via analogue rather than digital ?

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It depends on the quality of the screen inputs and scaler outputs. Panny's like yours have VERY good analogue inputs hence there is very little between analogue and digital on these displays. As Joe said, analogue fed from a scaler at 720P produces a very, very nice picture on these panels. Analogue is also more flexible on the Panny's due to the issues/problems with digital (DVI) and 50Hz PAL support on these models.

Also, consider the DVDO scalers like the iScan HD/HD+ alongside the Lumagens. Funnily enough I can recommend them! (check my sig) ;)

JJ

5. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

Thanks :) do you run your xbox through your DVDO ? if so whats it like

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yes, using an Xdox hi-def output cable...this pic is very, very good, but my friends sometimes notice the video delay that the Iscan adds to games. This doesn't really bother me as I use it mainly for Xbox Media Centre.

JJ