1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PWD6 or TH-42PHD6 or MXE-1 ?????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gizlaroc, Jun 12, 2004.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I sold my crt to go with a room friendly digital projector, however it just isn't going to work as the ceilings are over 9ft and floor mounting isn't an option either, so I need to get a plasma.
    This is where I need some help, I have only ever spent any time with a PW5, that was pretty good, and a pioneer, which also seemed ok. But because I never wanted a plasma I didn't really take much notice of them.

I can not afford a decent size at the moment so I am going to have to get a 42/43" unit and have narrowed it down to the following 3 below.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Panasonic TH-42PWD6 plasma screen (Charcoal)
    One terminal board of choice (small premium for dual slot)
    Choice of either desk mount or tilting wall mount

All delivered (UK mainland) for £ 2,140.89 inc. VAT

Panasonic TH-42PHD6 plasma to include - choice of either desk or tilting wall mount and one terminal board (small premium for dual slot board)

Price £ 3207.93 including VAT and delivery to mainland UK.

Pioneer PDP-43MXE1 Plasma Screen
    £2820.00 Delivered
    Pixels: 1024x768
    Contrast ratio: 1200:1

How bad are the blacks on the Pioneer compared to the panny ?? and which one gives more detail in the darker scenes, I have seen dlp's that can do good blacks but there is no detail in there, would rather have a slightly greyer black with detail.

I do have D-theater and 1080i and 720p tapes but for the few I watch I am not that bothered about having the extra resolution, and by the time sky bring out HD I will probably upgrade anyway, but if the HD panels are alot better with dvd and sky then it may be worth paying the extra.

Will the MXE1 take a component signal without buying extra input boards, that is the only thing I use at present.

I would say that it would be best for me to buy the 42PWD6 and lumagen with DVI output as I have SDI on my dvd and can mod my sky+ box, but there seems to be a problem with the panny doing 50hz from what I have read, is this right ?? I really dont want to let the Lumagen convert to 60hz, I did this for a while with my crt and really didn't like it.
    Ok so best woud probably be one of the higher res panels and a lumagen or crystallio but I want to keep this as cheap as possible and certainly no more than £3200, not for a 42" that I will want to swap in 18 months or so.

What is the MXE1 ?? I mean is it based on one of the models with tuner box and just the panel, or is it a new screen completely ?

sorry for so many questions but I need to order somthing before my wife adds it to her "new kitchen" fund :(

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    giz:
    I'd go for the the HD P6 its simply staggering...

Neil.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Cheers Neil

the anser I was hoping would not crop up, being the most expensive ;)

Has anyone seen an MXE1 yet ?? just wondering how that compares ??

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    gizlaroc

Pioneer 43MXE1 Plasma Display - still to arrive in the UK; first stock is due any day now.

Take the pixel array and dark front filter from an 04HDE PlasmaTV and put it in the bezel of an 03MXE - then take the video processor board out of the R04 Media Box tweak it and install it in the new MXE1 chassis and you have the basic ingredients for the new Display model.

The MXE1 can be supplied with no video card or with the PDA-5003 (BNC) or PDA-5004 (RCA) - both cards add Composite, S-Video and YUV to the HD15 and DVI-D inputs that are built into the MXE1 chassis.

You don't get HDCP on the DVI-D input so you may need to consider an alternative Input card if you want to use an HDMI or DVI with HDCP source.

I've had a quick play this week with a 50MXE1 + Lumagen VisionHDP (Beta) and it looked very good - the MXE1 chassis has a new Frame Rate Conversion function (that we don't fully understand as yet) that looks like it will ensure you get very smooth images form 50 and 60Hz signals.

I'd certainly put it at the top of your shopping list - alongside the Panasonic TH-42PHD6BX; which (given the extra budget) I'd go for every time over the TH-42PWD6BX; its not just about resolution between the two Panasonic units the HD unit has better video processing on SD and HD material.

The Pioneer MXE1 chassis is going to be more flexible with any scaler via DVI as it has a wider range of input signals it will work with - as you've spotted the TY-42TM6DB DVI card that Panasonic use can be a bit restrictive if you want to output 50Hz from your video processor.

If you only planning on using YUV sources and no PC with the Panasonic display you don't actually require a video board - you can input YUV to the HD15 socket that's built into the Displays chassis.

I have PDF files on all of these models if you want more info.

Best regards

Joe

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Thanks for the lengthy reply Joe, appreciated.

The only thing that worries me with the pioneers is the black level, I have spoilt myself with inky blacks from CRT PJ and Hi-Def, and think that maybe the Panny TH-42PHD6BX may be a better way for me to go personally ??

6. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Joe,
    Do you believe the Panny or the Pioneer will be superior when fed by a PC?

I do like a black black (sci-fi fan) and not a grey one which put me off the 434HDE so at the moment I'm leaning the Panny way. Shame that its not a little more competitive price-wise with both the 434MX and its own SD brother.

Mik

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    gizlaroc

Historically we've sold way more 43" Pioneer MXE HD Displays than 42" Panasonic HD Displays - mostly I guess as the price of the Pioneer made much more sense.

The 50" MXE vs. HD was a fairer comparison as they tended to cost about the same and we still sold more Pioneer than Panasonic.

Either of the displays your considering will work well - they do have different strengths and weaknesses but you'll certainly be able to build a great system around either one.

Keep in mind the darker Black levels in the Panasonic is mostly relevant in very subdued lighting - given a lot of ambient light you can achieve a better result with the Pioneer.

As before if you want more info please shout - I'm just about to hook our VisionHDP up to our TH-42PHD6BX to see if I can get it working at 50Hz on DVI (saves cutting the grass this afternoon!!!).

Best regards

Joe

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Sprout Crumble (school dinner must have been very bad round your way!!!)

If you like your deep space very dark go with the PHD and ensure you don't have too much ambient light.

Pioneer pitch the 43MXE1 (and its predecessors) as its 'entry level' Display - believing that 1024x768 is the minimum requirement for the Corporate market and tend to pitch the price quite aggressively.

Panasonic don't push the 42 PHD units so hard and like to keep the price differential between the PWD and PHD - I'm sure they're not geared for a huge sales increase in the PHD model.

I doubt there's going to be much difference between either unit for PC use (I take it you mean Office PC not Home Theatre PC) though the Pioneer DVI input is more flexible than Panasonic's DVI card.

Best regards

Joe

9. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The 50MXE1 will accept 50Hz via DVI but there is a chance that the 43MXE1 will not... May be worth waiting for someone to test this if it's important to you...

10. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any E.T.A on the MXE-1? i've pre-ordered mine and...getting itchy about it!! :( and plus now it looks like it's cheaper elsewhere. :rolleyes:

11. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Has the Panny HD or MXE1 got any PIP modes?

12. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Panny 6 has PIP and PAP

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Jackass

The Panasonic Series 6 Displays (PWD or PHD) have P&P, PiP and PoP Multi Picture Modes and you can mix and match Video and PC inputs; though you do have to have the various sources plugged into different inputs so remember this when specifying what boards you may require.

The Pioneer MXE1 Displays also have three Multi Picture modes - Split Screen, PiP and PoP - again you can mix Video and PC and again assuming you have the PDA-5003 or PDA-5004 Input card fitted.

Best regards

Joe

14. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

Did you get any luck in getting the Panny 6 HD DVI card to accept 50hZ signals?

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    It's the same card for all the Panny's isn't it? In which case you can get 50Hz in to it. Not at native resolution though. I am still investigating this all.

Gordon

16. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Thanks guys,I

I just hope Panasonic sort out this DVI 50Hz issue in the 7 series or if its possible on the 6 series then i might go for the Panny6HD.

Anyone have any inside info on whether Panny will introduce a totally new glass with greater than 4000.1 contrast and with a HDMI connection?

Would there be any advantage to having a HDMI connection on a plasma as I for one dont use the speakers on my 5 series SD panel?

Steve.

17. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

U telling me. I can't to get mine.

Everytime the phone rings, I think its Joe to arrange a delivery!!

18. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that's what I was really asking Gordon - 50Hz @ native rez.

So you're still investigating - do you think there's any hope for a result? - with all the work the forum die-hard's have been doing I would have thought it's beyond hope - or are you liaising direct with the OEM to get them to do something?