1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PWD6/42PHD6 and resolutions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aldous_huxley, Sep 8, 2004.

1. aldous_huxley

aldous_huxley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been lurking around this forum for a while although I haven't found the exact answer to this question...

The 42PWD6 (great price at the moment and good display, so I've read) has a resolution of 852x480...when it gets an input greater than this, say a 720p signal and it scales it to 480, how does it look ? Squashed ? Obviously there's a loss of quality, but is it even that noticeable ?

The 42PHD6 with it's higher resolution, scaling that same signal up to 768...does that look worse than scaling down ?

Do we even have any signals (apart from the odd console game) that would need to be scaled (up or down) ? NTSC progressive is, what, 480p ? Is there anything that puts out PAL progressive ? How would a standard PAL signal look on these displays ?

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Everything we get is built for the Americans, whatever we see in PAL
    is a compromise in some way (plasma and LCD speaking)
    Better to buy the region 1 games/dvds and watch in NTSC (and save money as well)
    I even download my favorite TV proggys from the US in NTSC now.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    An old chestnut. Scaling is a serious issue, but you do not see image distortion because of it. All things being equal, more resolution must be better, this is certainly true with the 2 pannys. But the HD has an unfair advantage, it has better processing too. But then it costs £1000 more, and only you can decide if that's worth it, many people are very happy with their PW6 pannys. There is always some scaling on any plasma, except as PJ says, with NTSC and PW screen. (or other 480 of course) But NTSC is a poor signal, it stands for Never Twice the Same Colour, so I am told... and in any case, some of us like home grown TV, which is 576. So check them out, with a good signal (check what they are doing, you never know till you look, or are told categorically. Ask them if there's anything that can be done to improve what they are showing you, perhaps.)

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    NTSC Never Twice the Same Colour
    PAL Pal And Limp
    SECAM System Essentially Contrary to AMericans
    (very old broadcasting engineers joke)

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have both a SD and HD panel - buy the HD panel if you can. Its not just got a higher resolution but the panel reproduces colour far better than the SD panel.

Neil.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    aldous huxley

As others have said both the Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) displays have to up or down scale most images - and both do a good job; and due to other factors such as over sampling the SD unit will actually 'look' better with an HD signal than it does with an SD signal.

For me the HD is the better performer as it doesn't produce the colour banding I see in the SD unit - although these units 'look' physically the same and share a common 'features' platform they use quite different underlying video technology to drive their pixel arrays.

Given that the HD unit produces better SD pictures, is compatible with a PC and will resolve all the detail in an HD signal we generally advise our customers to consider the HD ahead of the SD unit.

And do keep in mind we'll have Series 7 units soon enough - with the addition of an optional HDMI Input socket should that be relevant for you.

Both PAL and NTSC signals can be Interlaced or Progressive - that's down to the source kit your using and the Display will recognise which type of signal its receiving and process accordingly; both the SD and HD displays have video processing to convert Interlaced to Progressive (the Display is a Progressive device so all signals undergo this processing as standard) and you also have Cinema modes to deal with the specifics of Video signals that started out in a Film camera before being converted into an MPEG file on a DVD.

Best regards

Joe

7. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Or in French, as the French say
    Systeme Elegante Contre les Americains
    Barend