42PW7 in black has arrived..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by cipher99, Mar 7, 2005.

1. cipher99

cipher99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    £1540 delivered, more expensive than AV-sales PWD7 in black and if it is a PW7 in black it may well be an import!!!!
    Also check waaranty is on site not RTB!!!!!!! (especially for first year!)

3. cipher99

cipher99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mr HD,

Thanks man, much appreciated. I know the PWD7 is the commerical version, but are there any other differnece besides the color. Are the panels exactly the same in terms of quality, inputs, warranty etc...

regards,
    Nick.

4. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hard to exactly compare like for like, especially without knowing if the extended warranty is RTB or not.

As I understand it the AV sales deal comes with free stand or bracket (which is about equivalent value to a Scart board) but only a 1 year warranty. The discountaudiovision deal comes with no stand (but Scart board to offset that) but also with 3 year warranty, i.e. 2 year extension warranty which, if it is the same as AVsales extended warranties, would add £199 onto the price of the AVsales deal.

At face value this new deal that cipher99 found definitely looks to be a step forward in the price reduction game.

Re the source of the panel, one possibility is that they are being careless with their use of model numbers (as a few sites are) and they are actually selling a PWD7 and calling it a black PW7 (and to carry on being pedantic, if that is the case, then the colour is actually charcoal).

Does anyone know anything about this outfit? I wonder if I could get them to unbundle the extended warranty and sell it to me for £1260 with 1 year warranty.

- Julian

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the PW7 and PWD7 are not the same panel PWD7 are more highly specced and expensive but it is up to the pannasonic national offices as to what size and clour the order from panasonic global....and if you order 200+ from panny business systems UK you can spec the colour!!! (for a price)

6. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Elswhere on this forum people have said that the PW7 and PWD7 are pretty much the same circuitry and spec, it's just that the PWD7 has more picture-in-picture and multi-monitor options. I don't think that the picture quality for a PWD7 is superior to a PW7 in any way is it?

- Julian

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    probably not but the list of differences is quite comprehensive........... hwta is more important is finding out if the units are PWD or PW7E (Euro imprts)

8. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the downsides of them being Euro imports? Does this mean the warranty isn't valid?

From your (hornydragon) previous comment about it being up to the Panasonic national office as to what colour they order from Panny global, I'm wondering if Panny UK have realised that they would be wise to also offer a black finish and maybe have ordered in some black PW7s for the UK market. If that is true, and if that means that a black model will soon become available in the channel at the same £1,250-ish price point (with "free" Scart board) as you can get the silver one for then I for one would buy one tomorrow at this price. Unfortunately for me, unless Pannasonic do this, then I'm sitting and waiting for the PWD7 + SCart board to drop to the £1,250 price point before purchasing.

- Julian

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Panny UK have discontinued the PW7 range hence cheap prices with media box.. they have dumped them....................and PW8 is september............more likely a distrinutor has bought a load cheap..until i see a box i cant for sure.......Euro imports have less warranty, (RTB not onsite.........but can cause issues down the line...there is no problem buying an import as long as you know its a import!!!!!) but being sold "grey" import stock as UK is wrong..... and i would not deal with a company who deceived me... if they say yes its an import fine, itf the say its UK product and its not then that is not good!!!

10. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well. Thanks for the info. It looks like I'm destined to sit on the sidelines for another month or two and wait for the PWD7 price to drop. I know the 8 series aren't likely to hit the UK until September, but there have been strong hints elsewhere that they will be officially announced at the end of this month, so maybe just the announcement will put downward price pressure on the 7 series.

- Julian