1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PW7 advice on connection modules please?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by giantteabag, Oct 8, 2004.

1. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so new to this plasma world!
    My current monitor is a Sony 36" 100Hz CRT..top of range 4 years ago & I'm happy with the quality but not size.
    Questions as follows:
    1. Will a pw7 picture be better than my CRT?
    2. What connects for sky+ into pw7?
    3. Currently have IXOS RGB scart cable, could I use this to achieve Q1 but is picture quality compromised if I do?
    Most of viewing will be via sky+.
    4. Current dvd player is Panasonic HS2..the 40gig hard drive unit that came out 2 years ago. It only has RGB & S Video out. What module do I need for this?
    5. When will High Def broadcasts happen in UK by Sky? I'm worried that the res of the pw7 is not HD ready, so should I wait untill pw8 next year?

I'm sorry about the shopping list but this is an investment I don't want to get wrong.
    Thanks.

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. The bigger the picture the more likely you are to see any noise or atrifacts on the picture - but if you're feeding in a good singal then I would say it would be fine.
    2. I don't have Sky+, but I believe svideo and RGB scarts are your only option. You could always get a Js Tech. RGB Scart to VGA convertor - apparently the VGA input gives a better picture than the scart input.
    3. I've no idea what Q1 is ... so I'll pass on this!
    4. Either scart, dual width component board, or via scart and VGA convertor as in 2.
    5. PW7 will display HD pictures - although it's not a HD panel. So it'll be useable for years to come. I think by the time Sky get HD up and running it'll be years down the line. Even then it'll probably only be for movies channels etc.

Hope this helps.

ZZ

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PW6 and 7 are HD ready an will accept HD inputs and diplay them..... At native resolution ie 852x480
    Suggest you have a look here: http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pw7b_plasma.html
    For what you want to do i suggest you daisy chain items or go for a a scart switcher...more on this later
    Suggest you have plasma with scart board useful to connect VCR/PS2/camcorder etc for occaisional use as it will take RGB, S-video, or Composite
    Fpr HS2 and Sky get JS RGB> VGA converter and use PC inout on plasma....
    What are you using for sound? going to use? Very nice affordable and simple system is this.....
    http://www.canton.de/www/index.php4?pg_id=14,30,moviecd1,2,en
    With this excellent bit of kit.....
    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8389&taxonomy_id=62-98
    Amp has 4 scarts 3 RGB ins and 1 out use this to connect SKY and HS2 via AMP to RGB>VGA box (JS RGB>VGA box only works with RGB scart signals) and then to screen..... Superb system with very good upgrade path Add these: http://www.canton.de/www/index.php4?pg_id=14,30,cd360f,2,en now or later as fronts...
    Best thing is (assuming you are in UK) AV-sales can supply the lot with cables.....

4. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,
    I also see JS do a RGB to Component box.
    If I also got a component pw7 board, would this give a better PQ than the VGA route?
    Some say pq pecking order is component, VGA & then RGB...is this correct?
    Finally what component connect is best, RCA with quality phono leads or the other type (not sure of the name!)?
    Cheers.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for PW7 i would go VGA which is actually RGBHV partly as all panels come with VGA fitted, also as it will give very very similar results i dontthink i could tell the difference but not tried on a PW7 and unlikley to be able to mate.....

6. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    giantteabag
    I was wondering the same thing and this is the reply from Dr. JS himself

Dear Jim,

RGB to Plasma VGA generally gives you the better image, but component is still very close. If you wish to reduce the complexity of the system, then opt for the RGB to Component converter as this will work with your switching amplifier.

We were impressed with the aspect ratio switcher, but it's not something that we're looking to reproduce.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

----- Original Message -----
    To: technical@js-technology.com
    Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 4:56 PM
    Subject: VGA or Component

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a Panasonic PW7 plasma and reading the AV forum it seems clear that I should avoid the Scart connection. I have SKY+ and a DVD player with component output.
    I am also going to upgrade the amp to the Yamaha 750 that does component switching.
    Will I get a better result going scart to VGA direct or is scart to component just as good then switching in the amp?
    Also I understand that I will lose the detection of the aspect ratio. Have you thought about building in the technology from the PARC209 plasma aspect ratio controller? I am slightly concerned about all these additional connections and cables that are going to be required to make all this work.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers
    Jim Gibson

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Component inputs are only superior when using a progressive signal as an input. (from dvd)
    From all other sources RGBHV will give the best picture.

This is not my opinion, this is the way things are.

You cannot connect SCART to VGA without a converter (some cables have converters built in)as SCART has RGB sync on composite and VGA has RGB, Horizontal sync, Vertical sync