42PV500 - should I wait?

guv69

I was obviously aware there was a newer model coming shortly, but it now seems that in the last day, several retaillers are now showing the new 60 models - and someone in the forum has one arriving on Friday.

Today, I managed to get a 42PV500 ordered after finally getting a JL price match. (£1900 inc Ped) with delivery set for friday.

However the new models all appear to be cheaper and higher spec!

Anyone else think I should ditch it and wait a few more weeks to get the 42PV60? (Especially as I'm off on my hols shortly for 3 weeks - so even less time to have this set before the new one is mainstream.)

Have I just made a boo boo (and cancel)

I notice the new one says it has 2 HDMI and a PC input. That and the higher spec colours and contrast make me think I'd be mad not to.

Thoughts?

shrimp3r

Same here mate, got an LGPX5D coming on Friday from JL (got it for £1635), but with the pan px60 apparently surfacing today - I'm wondering if I should hang fire. The only thing probably stopping me from cancelling is how much more a px60 is going to cost me, as I'm trying to keep the costs down. I guess I could cancel, hang onto my price match letter and see how the panny pans out over the next few weeks. If it's looking too expensive, I could then revert back to the LG - using my current price match. Bit annoying, as until tonight I was all geared up for the LG on Friday - maybe a good night sleep will make things clearer!

Mark Mac
guv69 said:
I was obviously aware there was a newer model coming shortly, but it now seems that in the last day, several retaillers are now showing the new 60 models - and someone in the forum has one arriving on Friday.

Today, I managed to get a 42PV500 ordered after finally getting a JL price match. (£1900 inc Ped) with delivery set for friday.

However the new models all appear to be cheaper and higher spec!

Anyone else think I should ditch it and wait a few more weeks to get the 42PV60? (Especially as I'm off on my hols shortly for 3 weeks - so even less time to have this set before the new one is mainstream.)

Have I just made a boo boo (and cancel)

I notice the new one says it has 2 HDMI and a PC input. That and the higher spec colours and contrast make me think I'd be mad not to.

Thoughts?

DRAMBO

Novice Member
shrimp3r said:
Same here mate, got an LGPX5D coming on Friday from JL (got it for £1635), but with the pan px60 apparently surfacing today - I'm wondering if I should hang fire. The only thing probably stopping me from cancelling is how much more a px60 is going to cost me, as I'm trying to keep the costs down. I guess I could cancel, hang onto my price match letter and see how the panny pans out over the next few weeks. If it's looking too expensive, I could then revert back to the LG - using my current price match. Bit annoying, as until tonight I was all geared up for the LG on Friday - maybe a good night sleep will make things clearer!

Mark Mac
The PX60 will have a reasonable price when it becomes widely available in a few weeks time. The lowest advertised price on the Net so far is £1577 for the 42 inch PX60; £4 cheaper than the equivalent LG. Here's the link

http://www.24electric.com/catlisting.php?category=AV&subcategory=PL&Sort=ProdPrice&offset=0

They're out of stock now, but what's a few weeks waiting, when you're getting a top quality Plasma TV at that price.:thumbsup:

GASWATKINS

Novice Member
New Screen looks a good deal at £1699 with ped stand
Watford Panny dealer on E bay
best to wait i'd say
unless old Panny crashes in price

Latman

Novice Member
Bit confused about PX60 and PV600. Which is better and whats the difference between the two?

Gussie

AndrewTheMuppet said:
60 series = Standard or enhanced def. 852x480
600 series = Hi Def. 1024x768.

Same as PE50 and PV500.

Andrew
?? enhanced def ?? :confused:

TH42PX60B (yes 60 !) is an HD-Ready 1024x768 Plasma TV just like the 42PV500

For the European market, Panasonic have now released three (yes - three !!) different 1024x768 42" screen families - PX600, PX60 and PV60 - the only SD 852x480 screen is the PD60 just like the PE50

Gussie :)

DRAMBO

Novice Member
AndrewTheMuppet said:
60 series = Standard or enhanced def. 852x480
600 series = Hi Def. 1024x768.

Same as PE50 and PV500.

Andrew
Both PX60 & PX600 are HD Ready with 1024x768 & 1024x720 on the 42" and 37" models respectively.

The 600 model has superior Audio, SD card recording/playback, different styling with broader bezels/borders, and a bigger and more stylish remote control.:hiya:

rover2002

Novice Member
Buy Panasonic if you like contrast/black lvl shift as viewed buy many many owners and reviewers.
Will

-Jay-

Banned
rover2002 said:
Buy Panasonic if you like contrast/black lvl shift as viewed buy many many owners and reviewers.
Will
That could be fixed on the new range? we'll just have to wait and see.

guv69

Oh well!

42PV500 now cancelled with JL @ £1900

Just hope the new machines do turn out cheaper and better as everyone thinks!

RHCP

Novice Member
Don't mean to **** on your parade :rolleyes: , but how long where paople waiting for the pv500's when they first came out:boring: . You could be in for a long wait.
I would have stuck with the pv500 at that price and the 5 year warantee from jl. There is always something better around the corner. :)

gur

Standard Member
guv69 said:
Oh well!

42PV500 now cancelled with JL @ £1900

Just hope the new machines do turn out cheaper and better as everyone thinks!

Think you've done the right thing to be honest, can't see the new screen being a backward step plus they look nicer, I've got a 42pv500 (bought last may), great picture but ugly case. Panasonic have ramped up the production capability since the initial pv500 release last year so if you get an order in early I doubt you will wait too long.

guv69

RHCP said:
Don't mean to **** on your parade :rolleyes: , but how long where paople waiting for the pv500's when they first came out:boring: . You could be in for a long wait.
I would have stuck with the pv500 at that price and the 5 year warantee from jl. There is always something better around the corner. :)
I stilll have the option though!

I'd rather buy once and get it right first time. If I have to wait a bit, so be it.

I did actually call Panasonic today to ask them about the specs of the PX60 and they claim they havent been released yet, so were unable to say. I mentioned someones claim to be taking delivery of one on Friday (posted in AVF) and they reckon that would be impossible. It does seem strange that they cant even say the specs!

S

ScanMan

RHCP said:
It's a tricky decision, and one that has to be based on the unknown, ie price, availability, potential problems etc.
I decided to go down the PV500 route, encouraged by getting JL to price match Currys £1798 which currently makes it a bit of a bargain.
I knew what the potential problems were and I was lucky in that I've got no excess buzzing or whistles, the contrast shift is barely noticable (even without the service menu fix) and no dead/stuck pixels. So all in all I'm very happy with my decision.

Of course I may regret it when the new ones arrive in large quantities, have better PQ, no problems and on sale at really low prices.

But then again I can always console myself that plasmas will undoubtedly continue to drop in price and as you say there will always be something better around the corner. Plus I will have had a good few months of PV500 viewing pleasure.

AndrewTheMuppet

Novice Member
Gussie said:
?? enhanced def ?? :confused:

TH42PX60B (yes 60 !) is an HD-Ready 1024x768 Plasma TV just like the 42PV500

For the European market, Panasonic have now released three (yes - three !!) different 1024x768 42" screen families - PX600, PX60 and PV60 - the only SD 852x480 screen is the PD60 just like the PE50

Gussie :)
yeah, sorry, got that totally wrong. Apologies.

Why so confused about enhanced def though??

Andrew

setjellyfish

Any idea when these will be on general release I was going to get a pv500 when my lounge was finished but if the 60's are cheaper/better how long will I have to wait

shrimp3r

Just spoke to JL, they said that I can cancel and still apply my LG price match should I wish to reorder it later. I'm going to sleep on it and decide in the morning. I agree with the sentiment that there's always something around the corner, but this news of this Panny appearing just two days before delivery of my LG has really tempted me to cancel. I'm going to be looking at the screen that I buy for a long-time, so gotta get it right.

Mark Mac

DRAMBO said:
The PX60 will have a reasonable price when it becomes widely available in a few weeks time. The lowest advertised price on the Net so far is £1577 for the 42 inch PX60; £4 cheaper than the equivalent LG. Here's the link

http://www.24electric.com/catlisting.php?category=AV&subcategory=PL&Sort=ProdPrice&offset=0

They're out of stock now, but what's a few weeks waiting, when you're getting a top quality Plasma TV at that price.:thumbsup:

lewi

Novice Member
shrimp3r said:
Just spoke to JL, they said that I can cancel and still apply my LG price match should I wish to reorder it later. I'm going to sleep on it and decide in the morning. I agree with the sentiment that there's always something around the corner, but this news of this Panny appearing just two days before delivery of my LG has really tempted me to cancel. I'm going to be looking at the screen that I buy for a long-time, so gotta get it right.

Mark Mac
I think you have made a sensible and balanced decision. Good on you

guv69

lewi said:
I think you have made a sensible and balanced decision. Good on you
Indeed. I think Ive done the right thing also - especially as I will be away shortly for the US for 3 weeks. I'd hope they are more widely available by the time I return. I can live with what I have until then. My only real concern would be if the G9 screen had some inbuilt flaws making the G8 a better option. All I can do is make a balanced judgment, which I will be very pleased if my thoughts prove to the right choice! Decisions decisions!

To be honest, my Plasma research only really started in the past week, so much is on gut feeling, forum comments and not wanting to rush something that Id regret a few weeks later.

Hopefully by that time JL will have them and a 5 year warrenty will still be achieved. That I think is probably my biggest gamble overall.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett