1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PV500 or 435XDE ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Daipac, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Now that the Pioneer has dropped in price, you can now get one for the same price as the PV500.

Because of this it would be a decision which didn't depend on price so I was just wondering which one would you choose and why ?

2. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The 435xde would seem a good choice if you're wall hanging and burying the cables, that's why I ordered one.
    Dave.

3. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Go to Curry's/Comet and view them side-by-side. I did. Here's a few observations:

- the PV500 had a more vibrant and detailed picture (with the current setup)
    - the picture on the 435XDE looked frosty (something to do with the glass?)
    - the 435XDE is certainly the better looking screen, although with the detachable speakers it is very wide (the wife did'nt like this, but what would she know?! :confused: )
    - the 435XDE price is falling all the time (the current deal of £2,400 with 'free' speakers, stand, & flights is attractive)
    - these two are certainly the best Plasma TV's on the market at this time

I am waiting for the Panasonic PHD8 panel as I hear this is the dog's knackers! :)

4. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I think there's only so much price falling that can happen with the 435xde, it's out of stock at many retailers and there can only be so many left elsewhere.
    Its replacement is going to cost ITRO £3500, without speakers, bracket or flights...
    Dave.

5. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is an article in this months What Video & widescreen TV which says that due in September the PDP-506XDE will be £3,800, the pDP-436XDE will be £2,800, the FDE version will be £3,500 & £2,500 respectively.
    The FDE will have one HDMI and the XDE's two
    The pixles count seems the same at 1,024 X 768 & 1,280 X 768
    the other diofference seems to be i-Clear drive to introduce further video processing to enable smoother garduation.

I don't really see it as a huge step up from the current range, and the stock of those must be reducing now

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    If they are the new prices then wait, from the reports coming in there is a massive step up comepared to the 5th series range.

If the 506XDE has an RRP of £3800 we could see it for £3k before too long, the £3500 price of the 436xde was down to £2800-3000 very quickly. That could put the 436XDE at a lower price point than the outgoing 435. They were saying the prices were going to be competetive, this looks really interesting, I think this autumn all we are going to hear about is the new 6 series Pioneers, if they have got it right thats all people are going to talk about, and if they get it wrong, well I think everyone will be going on about it even more! :)

It will be interesting to see if there is a lot of panel buzz, they have mentioned that because they have reoved teh think glass at the front, that buzz may be noticeable, this may be to cover themselves, or it may be a real problem.

7. Kefre

Kefre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought 42PV500 just over a month ago. The picture quality (using component cable) is just great!

8. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    247av.com (fairly competitive most of the time) are already advertising the PDP436XDE at £3295 (not inc accessories) here
    Perhaps they just took a stab at the expected price?
    Dave.

9. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Don't forget, those magazines are written several months in advance, one of the reasons I no longer spend £20 a month on magazines in pursuit of my many interests. That's what the web's for ;)
    Dave.

10. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The 505XDE is around £3500 now too, wish I could stretch that far as it seems a very good price for a 50" screen and the reviews are very good.