1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PV500 issues and advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr Eddy, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK I confess, I bought a 42pv500. No I didn't wait for a PWD8 with scaler.

On the plus side I have saved plenty of cash and have a TV that the family can use most of it. But...

1. Whites are very poor. It seems as if a light is shinning from god each time a white lit area is on that drowns all surrounding objects. Is this normal. I am using forum recommended settings.

2. So there really is no way round to select component for DVD viewing with one button? It seems so but someone prove me wrong. I havn't even tried to explain to the wife how to scroll through AV options. She just wants it to work or pick up the signal and switch when the DVD is turned on. Reasonable request really.

3. Gordon had a good look and thought a scaler might be useful. Has anyone connected a decent scaler to a PV500 and played around a bit. Interested in improving SD feeds.

Ta

2. bertieb

bertieb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may or may not be relevant to your pV500, but i have an older version of the Vierra here in Sydney, Australia. It too, at first, had a *massive* problem with whites. Te whites were just so bright, especially on sports (eg white uniforms on cricketers) it was completely offputting. Had to turn contrast almost to zero to get it to stop. I asked loads of people about it and no one could help.

But over time it got less and less, and after a month or two has completely dissapeared. I can turn the contrast right up to where it should be and the whites look completely normal. I am really very happy with the picture now, and never notice the white problem anymore.

So I imagine the plasma had to "burn in". I read about other plasma owners having to run in their screens, but I never really believed it. I also dont believe "running in" speakers (after all... what has changed after you run them in ??), but I'll probably be proved wrong there too.

So hopefully your problem will dissapear over time. I love my Vierra picture, especially as I watch a lot of low quality signals (Foxtel cable etc) - the Vierra relaly makes a bad signal quite good.

bertieb

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    What settings are you using at the moment?

4. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Hiya Mr Eddy...

I had a similar issue, having to explain how you get to HDMI. I was annoyed that it didn't do this automatically. :confused:

I have solved this: On one of the set-up menus there is a setting for which mode the screen is in when it is switched on. The default on mive was "TV" ie the DVB braodcast (which i don't use). By changing this to "A/V" mine now automatically switches between DVD (HDMI), Cable TV (RGB scart) and VCR (RGB Scart). :smashin:

Sorry i cant remember the exact menu titles, but their aren't too many to browse.

Hope this works

5. Nobu

Nobu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still "running in" my speakers, the sound quality has been noticably improving the more I use them. However I just have stereo and the speakers cost £600 (from £950), I'm guessing unless you have decent equipment you won't notice any equipment.