1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PV500 HD Unready?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Korum, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    I've just ordered a 42PV500, the main reason being it's claim to be HD Ready
    but the more I delve into HDTV the more confusing it becomes.

The 42PV500 claims to be able to display 720p and 1080i resolutions but this seems to be a blatant lie.The PV500 has a resolution of 1024x768 yet 720p has a resolution of 1280x768 and i have no idea what 1080i's resolution is but it's going to be way off the PV500's

I'll be buying a Xbox 360 and PS3 and since all 360 games/blueray movies are to run in 720p I'd like to know how the PV500 will handle them.Am I right in saying that true 720p 1280x768 is 16:9 widescreen and 1024x768 is 4:3 ? So what will scaling down a true 720p image do on a PV500, will widescreen 720p games and movies be squashed, elongated or cut,will it put black borders down the sides or along the top of the image ? Will it be something like current games that are made in 4:3, then run on a 16:9 set and look awful because they are squashed ?

What I'm trying to find out is, Am I wasting 2k on a HD Ready plasma that is not going to display HD properly and if a HD Ready display in fact isn't ready how are the likes of Panasonic and Hitachi getting away with telling porkies.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They are not telling you any porkies at all!!!! What the hell are they supposed to do, provide you with a screen that magically produces extra pixels every time you feed it a different signal? The answer is called scaling. A mathematical formula, a sophisticated motion sensitive formula, is applied to all incoming signals to fit them to the screen resolution. All displays do this except LCD PC monitors being fed their native resolution.

3. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    I'm only asking what the effects of scaling have on the PV500 when fed HD sources.

MAW,I notice you are a retailer and you can obviously baffle a Noob like me with plasma science but no matter what you hit me with a 1024x768 screen can't truly display a 1280x768 image so it's not HD ready.

If it can't display HD images properly then they are misleading the average punter (like myself).

I'd love to see the reaction of one of your customers if you responded with the highly original or incredibly amusing line 'What the hell are they supposed to do, provide you with a screen that magically produces extra pixels every time you feed it a different signal?' when they asked about one of your plasma's.

4. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here we go again.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Korum, this has been covered at length and to the death. Read some of the other posts regarding the PV500 and you'll get an idea whats going on, and don't worry the 42PV500 is HD Ready by official measures. BTW 1280x768 isn't 16:9 widscreen, it's 1280x720, do the math.

6. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please read this link Korum its actualy about projectors and is not written by any standards organisation or manufacturer or retailer but it explains in a bit more detail about HDTV http://www.projectorcentral.com/true_hdtv.htm

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I wasn't going to nitpick about the quoted resolution. If you've already ordered one, and you don't like it, why? You simply can't have it all. region 1 dvd is 720x480, pal is 720x576, 720p is 720x1280, 1080i is 1080 x 1920. What resolution would you want to be native? In the case of plasma, tough ****, none of the above are possible. That's how it is, live with it or buy something else.

8. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The others are right read other posts.....but.

No, PV500 is not a good screen to truly show the minimum resolution of an xbox360 and or ps3. Yes it will scale but if it has to scale from 1280 to 1024, there is no magical algorithm. If it does meet HD standards is irrelevant.

Xbox360 is months off. Why not wait and see what is available in November. Lots of new screens and the PV500 might be the best....maybe but it won't be anywhere near the cheapest 1024 x 768 screen by then.

PS any 42" plasma screen will be at best 1024 for the time being. Need 50" for resolution you want.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the Thing is PC people dont understand scaling and having a fantastic scaler beats having lots of pixels Someboady write this up for the FAQ please.
    Korum there is no such thing a future proof, EICTA set the "HD ready" standard and a display with 1x720 (vertical) pixels that can scale 720p and 1080i to fit and has a HDCP input as well as component compatible with 50 and 60 HZ is HD ready.........................

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    and how does 1920x1080 fit into a 1366x768 50" ???
    for 1920x1080 you have 2 choices JVC Dila PJ and Sharp LCD 45GD1E LCD screen with 1920 1080 res, but what happens when 3200x1800 comes out???
    Buy on quality not on pixel count or paper spec, if you dont like the PQ dont buy if you do like the PQ then spend your money wisely

11. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    so is this what's trying to be said here - resolution dont matter, if he end result is good PQ who cares what the resolution is...
    Have i got it right?

12. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ukdan

you know as well as anyone...resolution is but one factor in the PQ game!

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What could be more important in a display than Picture quality ???

14. MIB

MIB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    i realise that there's always going to be a better, cheaper, higher resolution plasma just around the corner and if you keep waiting you'll never buy one

but

if you wait 6/9 months as we haven't really got much High Def stuff to watch yet how much cheaper will the PV500 be and are there likely to be lots of new plasmas out by then that may be a lot better?

15. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Maybe you should think outside the box and instead of a plasma why not go for one of the many 1280x720 DLP RPTVs that are out there at the moment.

16. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    :suicide: Why don't we get Abit to comment on this thread! Abit?! Where are you? Ive only managed to get one of my eyes out with this rusty spoon!? :)

17. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Im going for a 3 chip FP DMD 1920x1080 projector when they get down to £500 so i can watch 1080i in native resolution.but back to the real world. :D

There is a constant point being made by some that 1280X720 is the minimum spec for True HD and 1920X1080 is the other higher level of True HD well lets see the options for these "True 1080 HD flat panels"..

This might be fun lets name every product except front projectors that has a true native resolution of 1920X1080 that accepts 1080i at 50 HZ via HDMI so it would be compatible with SKY's forth coming HD service because it might satisfy the "oh its not real HD" brigade who never suggest alternative products because
    A. they don't exist(not in plasma at the moment)
    and
    B.If they do exist They are way too expensive so can not be compared with the budget of say a" HD ready "Plasma.

There is the Sharp LCD Sharp LC45GD1E at £6500 (Seen it at £4655.99 on the web)DVI not HDMI but i believe you can get an adaptor.I have heard this set is not very good with SD material and that an external scaler is a good option so that puts up the cost.
    Many other companies have models in the states(Sonys Sony Qualia 005 is supposed to be brilliant but i haven't seen one personally) but no release dates for the UK.
    Anyone know of any other "True HD" displays?

18. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Come on guys / girls, all you say in defending 1024 x 768 is probably right for watching films but not game feeds.

Game feeds are the only thing that can truely drive HD at the mo. Scaling is pants with PC feeds, native support is great, oh no is this the end of plasma. Same for xbox. Speaking sensibly for a mo, LCD is going to win in the not too distant future for xbox360 and ps3. Prices will tumble.

Come on Abit I need some support.

If I went against all I have been saying recently, can anyone give me the size of the PV500 box and stand box. Will it fit in a 5 door Mondeo hatch? Yea I would put the seats down.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    But you can't display all of a 1080i signal on them, so they are 'no use', just 'HD unready' like the PV500. A second mortgage for a projector, or the sharp 45" LCD is the only way, and don't forget to turn it off whenever a non 1080i broadcast comes on.

20. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Xbox360 only to support 720p on most games. But PS3 1080p, my god your right MAW.

How about JVC DLA-HD2K

Head unit only
    £15,357.25
    (£13,070.00 ex VAT)

Head unit & scaler
    £17,742.50
    (£15,100.00 ex VAT)

Bargain. What about the Mondeo and PV500?

21. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I was ready to do this about a year ago, but a few issues scared me off: dust and convergence problems. My impression was that dust would collect on the mirrors etc., reducing brightness and sharpness over time. DLP RPTV owners please correct me if I'm wrong -- but has anyone owned one of these for more than two years? :rolleyes:

22. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is the 37pv500 the same as the 42pv500 claiming that it us HD ready or is it just not HD ready and not receive the stamp of approval?

23. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the PV500's (37" 42" 50") will give you a picture via HDMI when connected to SKY'S upcoming high definition service. All of them meet the EICTA HD ready logo standards.
    All of them will get the HD ready Logo stamp.

24. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that the DMD chip is a sealed unit, so I don't think dust will be a real problem. I'm not sure about convergence, all I can say is that of all the DLPs I've demoed they're all on par if not better, in terms of PQ, than most plasma displays. Obviously DLP Tvs aren't flat panels and as such are not designed to hang on walls but if you're not wall mounting the display here's something interesting I noticed. The new Samsung SP46L4HX DLP is only 5 cm wider that the Panny 37PV500, weighs less and has a smaller footprint than the cabinet model, oh and it's also 46". And when it's released in a few weeks should be a fair bit cheaper as well.

25. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    viewing angle is still a problem for me with DLP rear projection but others don't mind, as always let your own eyes make the choice.

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think you will find that prices will stabilise and spec will improve rather than prices tumbling. What i dont about people banging on about 1024x768 not being able to display the full resolution of HD is, its not like you a have a choice is it........i mean come on, if you want a wall moutned flat TV that will show HD and is "HD ready" then it has to be LCD or plasma if you want a 42" screen and only want to pay 2.5k it has to be a plasma there is no alternative so no way of knowing if having 260 odd extra pixel makes any perceivable difference anyway just live with fact that source res and display res are not 1:1 and buy on the basis of PQ not Pixel count!

27. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Exactly, theres a lot of other factors that determine good PQ that just pixel resolution you know. At the end of the day you shouldn't buy a new TV by just reading the specs, you have to make the decision with your eyes and if you like the picture you see then go for it.

28. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    I think you guys are being way too hard on the thread starter, he has a valid point. the best way to have the best picture is a native resolution display.

I recommend that if you cant afford a plasma every 2 odd years you just wait until skyHD is rolled out next year, then give it a little while longer and buy a panny plasma with a native display of 1920x1080P. its what i've decided to do, that way I can get the best. As a rule of thumb its normally always best to downscale than it is upscale.

I dont like how alot of you were jumping on him saying that he will never be happy as a screen would have to spring pixels out of nowhere to accomodate all resolutions. Its like any equipment you buy, you buy it to do the best for its intended purpose and anything extra is a perk, so if your intending on using it for a 360 get a 720p or 1080i native display, and if your getting it for a PS3 get a 1080P native display, or if its mainly for HDTV/HiDef DVD get a native screen for that. that way you will be best pleased with its intended purpose and you will still get good quality for the rest.

So can we try and be a bit more sympathetic instead of jumping down his throat? he only asked a question to clarify something directly.

at the end of the day scaling is scaling, you wont get a perfect picture ever from scaling, hell im 29" crt will scale any input to it with some extras hooked upto it, doesnt mean il get a picture acurate to what the director intended which a native good quality display will give me

29. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Does that mean you won't be watching any of your SD resolution DVDs (or other content at lower res) on your 1920x1080p screen?

Apologies if I have got this logic completely upside-down.

30. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    not at all, I will have a native display of 1080P which will suit me just fine, and I will upscale any standard dvds I have I wont lose any information, but the only thing that could make it not very good would be poor upscaling, i.e having a 320x240 game to a 124x768 monitor stretched can look blocky, but with a decent upscaler it will take advantage of the higher res to the best of its ability.

other than that I dont think i'l be buying a 1080P plasma to watch SD DVD when hi res dvd will be out anyway ;) im just waiting for it all to pan out and wait for the dust to settle and see if "the next step" settles on a resolution