1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PV500 almost invisible middle-screen line fault?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by migas, Jun 27, 2005.

1. migas

migas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the status on the 42PV500 almost-invisible middle-screen line problem that some users have been reporting? Is this a general fault, or just an issue with a few Viera plasmas shipped to Europe?
    I intend to buy this screen soon, but I'd like to make sure I won't be stuck with a screen split in 2 by an anoying line... :eek:

2. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its not as obvious as that but it is annoying just knowing its there and waiting for it to show up whenever it suits. I am just off the phone with an engineer and although they have had no experience with the PV500 (as no one has returned one yet) he couldn't advise me on this horizontal line and could only input that he owns an older panasonic plasma and it he has never noticed this line. Also asked about the auto contrast feature and he doesn't think it could be disabled but he certainly never noticed any effect on his older plasma. I really don't think any of this stuff is going to be resolved and i'm swaying more towards the idea of just returning the set or maybe trying a replacement.

3. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just for balance, I am a PV500 owner, and have NEVER seen the horizontal line, despite searching for it using the DVE disc to generate flat screens from 100% white to 100% black (didn't see ANYTHING on that one!)...

And the 'auto contrast' has only been observable once, on a Channel 5 kids show - and in retrospect that might even have been an auto-contrast setting on the studio camera. I've certainly NEVER see it affect any other programming - not even 'let's investigate for clues in the dark rather than turn the lights on' CSI.

As I've said many times before on this subject - if you can see a horizontal line, your plasma needs to be sent back.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    I also have only ever seen it once on normal viewing, when there were bright boxes panning around the screen (except for the universal logo).
    Which chapters is it on the DVE disc, I had a quick play with it last night but could get the main menu up, it was just going through the stupid intro.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    If the horizontal line is likely to annoy you, it's down to the dual scanning technology at play in the PV500. It is also noted as a problem stateside.

a) Chances of getting a perfect one out the box ? You pays your money and you takes your chance. You can then either choose to send it back, how many you will have to go through to get a good one no one knows ?!?!

b) Save yourself the hassle from the outset and go for an alternative set that is known not to exhibit this phenomena.

If the auto-contrast bothers you.

a) Just go for another set.

Whilst the PV500 is a good set it also has enough peculiarities to justify looking elsewhere.

6. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've not seen it on the DVE disc - I was just checking this horizontal line thing.

Just to say re. Echo Star's comments: certainly, don't buy a PV500 if you're put off by the thought that you might get one with a 'line'. I have no idea (and nor does anyone else at the moment) what the incidence of PV500s with this issue are. I don't have it. But there is no screen that I am aware of that has NO potential issues (maybe the Fujitsu 50" - £5000). None of the others are perfect, which is why there is so much focus on the PV500.

If you want to avoid potential disappointment, don't buy ANY plasma. And don't go out with ANY women.

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Whilst there is never a good or bad time to purchase something like a Plasma. I honestly feel that it maybe worth holding out for a month or two to see the HD8 and the new Pioneers. The PV500 is relatively unchallenged at the current time though the imminent arrivals may actually be the better options. They certainly have areas of potential upside. I would wait if I was you.

8. migas

migas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the annoying auto contrast feature :eek: of the PV500, was anyone abble to turn it off, as sugested by k0rn (post on 20-06-2005, 08:32 PM)? Is the auto contrast then permanently off?

Quoting korn: "Here´s what solves the problem :lesson: (I`m 99% sure after watching 2 shows without noticing it again). DISABLE the Colour Management and it *should* be gone! I´m using "Cinema" setting with Colour Management set to off and so far it hasn´t occured again.

9. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Can't live with 'em - Can't live without 'em :suicide:

Gussie :)

10. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Theres nothing i would love more than to call round to these people who claim their sets are perfect just so i can see for myself. Any of you guys based in Northern Ireland? :smashin:

11. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ^^ Sadly, no - I'm in Bath. As I've already said, NO set is perfect. My PV500 is still in 'running in' mode, so I'm hoping it'll be even better one set-up properly, but it ain't 'perfect'. However, it is the first flat-screen I've ever seen that doesn't get in the way of the stuff its showing. Sure, there'll be improvements in later screens, but the PV500 has already passed my only critical test.

12. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have seen the very faint line on my new PV500, but only by trying very hard. It's totally unnoticeable in normal conditions. This pic of another Panny leads me to think the panels are made of two halves.
    http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/502/brokenplasma_2_.jpg
    What do you think?

On the auto contrast, I'm sure I read in the manual that there is a light sensor on the front of the panel that senses surrounding light on the 'auto' mode and adjusts cont/bright dynamically for best picture.
    The feature is called cats (Contrast Auto Tracking System).

Slightly off-topic - has anyone found the PQ of built in DVB/freeview to be a bit fuzzy round the edges?

H.

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Great picture ! I think that highlights to all that the Panny does actually operate dual scanning and what it looks like when it goes completely wrong ! Also exactly where the line of demarcation actually is.

The DVB tuner is defo not as good as what was in the PE30. Though the PV500's are quite impressive on the speed of EPG. I think an external box would still deliver better PQ results.

One other thing I have noticed is when fed with a clean source there does appear a strange artefacting or screendoor grid like pattern at times.

14. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    h dear looks like teh million PV500 posts are going to turn into "why is it so dodgy???" soon.

good luck everyone. My bruvvers getting his on Friday soi we await with bated breath!

I on the other hand have a nice little number I have had no issues with at all - except near perfection....It happens to be sort of a half panny too!

15. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    :confused: Any feedback?