1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PMA400E Owners HELP!- question from the manual

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by english_bob, Aug 31, 2003.

1. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    OK, I'm buying one of these plasmas this week, and just to check out the specs etc., I downloaded the manual PDF from the Hitachi website.

Not only is the manual in bad english, but it keeps making references to the "OPTIONAL VIDEO DEVICE". On page 2 it refers to this as a CMPAV14. (? is this the unit with the 42CPD model?)

What concerns me is that the further you read into the manual, the more references to the OPTIONAL VIDEO DEVICE are made. For example, page 12 kind of suggests that the COMPONENT and COMPOSITE outputs are optional?

On every page of the settings, they are split between RGB and VIDEO 1/2 sections, and each time it states "This function can only be used when the optional video unit is iserted"

Now I'm worried that when I get this plasma (1) I won't be able to plug a DVD player in via component and (2) I won't be able to get to the different settings under VIDEO1/2

IS THIS TRUE? HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING IN ALL OF THE REVIEWS (I keep reading the HCC review over and over...) or when they mean optional video device, they mean the DVD player or the Camcorder etc?

Any help will be welcome

Many Thanks

EB

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bob, the video board is optional, ie you don't have to install it. Any reputable dealer will supply it though, wasn't it Nexnix? They seem to be well spoken of. You can only get a PC picture without it, especially as the PMA400 has a lowest horizontal frequency of 24khz, making scart rgb directly or via a synch separator like the JS RGB-VGA or Keene synchblaster unusable. This does limit your inputs, as you have only 1 best quality input usable, ie component. You'll be limited to s-video for TV I think in any case. The BNC's appear to be rgbhv only, on some screens you can select these to be YUV also, and get a 2nd set of component inputs. Sad about the 24khz, no good reason for it, the corresponding Fuji screen does not suffer.

3. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Thanks MAWS

It is indeed NEXNIX.

I'm not planning on using my plasma for TV (I just don't watch it anymore), only for plugging in a DVD player via COMPONENT and an XBOX/GC/PS2 also by COMPONENT. (My AV can do COMPONENT switching).

The way the manual was written it was suggesting that the COMPONET and SVIDEO teminials are an extra (i.e not included as standard). This was at odds with the pictures printed in the HCC review

I guess what your saying is that, given my intentions of use above, I've nothing to worry about? and that COMPONENT terminals are as standard and I can use the VIDEO1/2 options as listed in the manual (as they differ from the RGB VGA-type inputs)

cheers
    EB

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You have it, mate. As long as the card is included you are fine. A quick ring might be in order, but Judging on peoples experiences, you'll have no worries. The card should be 125-150 as an add on, hope it's included.

5. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I hope its included too! Another 150 quid will be pushing it, seeing as it does'nt come with a sodding stand or anything!

Cheers MAW

Regards

EB

6. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    english_bob

I bought my Hitachi 42 pma400e from nexnix about 8 weeks ago and it came with a video card as standard :smashin:

dvd :cool:

7. elan

elan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not seen it without the video board. In the manual there was an addendum stating that is standard "The video unit (CMPAV14) is included as standard equipment with this model"

In any case - MAW is incorrect, the second db15 input can be configured to component input from the user menu. So u can use a breakout cable, this is what I use. A db15 cable (VGA) to 3 cables and plug those into your component output of dvd.

Hope this helps!

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thanks for that info elan, it makes a considerable difference to the usability of the screen for video. Used them with rolling .ppt displays from PC, for which they're a bargain, obviously I need to read the manual more carefully, but as EB says, they read like a 1970's motorcycle manual, not exactly light reading.

9. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Thanks for all of the input guys

Getting it delivered on Wednesday, so I'll soon find out!

Regards

EB

10. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I use 3 of the 4 inputs as Component - the 4th as "S" for VCR use.
    Regards.

11. KMachon

KMachon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have brought my Hitachi PMA 400E to Spain where it worked for a few weeks. Now when i turn it on the power light (green) comes on then the stanby lights comes on (red). It sounds like its trying to start up but goes off after a few seconds going to the red light. There is nothing that displays on the screen or no sound.
    I am in Spain and I cant find a Hitachi dealer or someone who is qualified to help me with the problem.
    Can you help.
    The electric supply it Spain is not good with power surges and low voltage, we might have blown somthing. We have checked the fuse in the back of the screen and this ok.
    again can anyone help or direct me to help in the Malaga area?