1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42pma400e, dvd, sky, and js convertor

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dougall, Aug 15, 2003.

1. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if JS technology are the only suppliers of this rgb to component convertor .

I have a 42pma400e and want to connect both sky and dvd through the convertor...i assume i scart the dvd player to the sky and then connect the sky to convertor....or will i have to keep plugging and unplugging the sky and dvd in and out of the convertor. If i do take the dvd through the sky and then to the convertor will i lose any quality compared to taking it directly to the convertor?

Sorry for the repition of the word convertor.

Thanks

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi,

JS Tech aren't the only makers of RGB to component converters, but they are probably the best. John Sim is a regular contributor on these forums. I guess you get what you pay for. I don't know if you can daisy-chain through a Sky digibox, but if your DVD player has 2 Scarts, one of them should take an input as well as output a signal. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Steve

my dvd player does have 2 scarts so i can take my sky through the dvd and then the sky to the convertor. Will i lose much quality in opposed to taking it direct. Also, why can't i take my sky through dvd (via scart) and then s-video out to the plasma until i get the convertor as taking the sky through composite is terrible. Basically i have loads of scart leads and an s-video lead the moment until i purchase the convertor...how can i run both the sky (which only has scarts) and the dvd (which has both scarts and s-video) through a single s-video lead???

4. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The 400e will take 4 discrete inputs. I use 3 as component ($ky, Freeview via JS boxes, and DVD) and the 4th as an "S" input for VCR use.
    No point in spending large cash if you don't optimise picture quality for each source...
    Regards

5. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i do intend to run through js box but confused when you say you use 3 as component..i thought the 400e only had 1 component input?

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Harry,

You shouldn't lose any quality in passing an RGB signal through your DVD player. You won't be able to transcode an RGB or composite signal from your digibox in the player to allow an S-video output. It will only pass the signal, not change it. Hope this helps. By the way,what is your equipment?

Steve

7. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The 400 can be configured to input 3 component sources - one dedicated, the other 2 are the Dsub inputs configured via the menu as "component".
    Regards

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Harry

Its pretty easy to get confused with all of these three letter acronyms :) So to recap on what's being said:

SKY Digibox SCART video out - the on screen menus give you two options PAL (which is Composite video) or RGB. There is no option for S-Video out on this type of box.

SKY+ Digibox SCART video out - the on screen menus give you two options PAL (which is Composite video) or RGB. There is also an S-Video out from this box.

Free2View boxes (a bit of a generalisation as some of these do vary from the norm) - the on screen menus give you two options PAL (which is Composite video) or RGB. There is no option for S-Video out on this type of box.

JS Technology are the manufactures of three different RGB converters - RGB2S-Video, RGB2VGA and RGB2YUV.

JS Technology sell direct to end users and to resellers.

JS Technology are not the only manufacturer of RGB converters - though my experience of their products dictates that we use them in preference to other brands.

RGB SCART daisy chains - most bits of kit that have TWO RGB SCART enabled sockets will pass RGB forward in a chain; so in your case you can contemplate DVD > Digibox > RGB converter without loosing quality.

Video conversion - the fact that your DVD player has multiple video type options on its main SCART output (Composite, S-Video and RGB) does not mean it will convert any incoming Composite or RGB signals to S-Video if you set it to output S-Video; you wont get a chain in this way.

Component video is pretty much any video signal that uses more than one conductor - S-Video, YUV and RGB are all types of Component video. In Home Cinema circles Component video has tended to have been hijacked to mean YUV.

Programmable inputs - your Plasma display (like most others) has Component video inputs (usually 5xBNC, 5xRCA or sometimes even an HD15 connector) that use an on screen menu to select if they are to look for a YUV, RGB or even an S-Video signal.

Trust this helps.

Joe

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I do try to design to a very high standard, and it's good to see that those who copy the ideas aren't able to copy the quality.

For example, the RGB to Plasma VGA unit has been copied by a number of different companies, but only the Plasma VGA unit is able to deliver a stable picture in all circumstances. Just because there's a lot of action doesn't mean that your picture should start jumping too! And that's the difference between my products and the imitations.

As for the YUV converter, it's been designed using very high specification parts. It's also got part of the Plasma VGA unit internally too to ensure a stable picture. The result is a very clean conversion.

Afterall, if you've spend several thousand on plasma screen, do you really want to settle for second best?

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

10. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve, Joe

I have detailed my equipment in my signature below...thanks for the advice. I notice you have an RGB to VGA convertor...are you using this for your dvd player ?...I am still going through a number of scenarios of how to connect everything up for the lowest cost..i have even contemplated changing the dvd player to get component output as I have had mine nearly 3 years now....but its all a matter of cost. I am interested as to what you have used your vga convertor for....or do you think component is still better. I am not impressed with s-video at all so am keen to get rid of that pretty soon. I am set on the idea of just buying 1 convertor for the sky and then loop the dvd through it. The comprehensive advice from Joe was very clear (Thanks Joe) and has definitely answered a few questions I had....why is it so costly to hook my dvd, sky and x-box up....i have actually give up on the x-box and have decided to just unplug the dvd when i want to play on the x box and vice versa as it is too costly...

And finally....good point about 2nd best Symanski ...i don't really want to settle.

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For the XBox, use the Microsoft Advanced SCART lead. It's the only one I recommend.

All the best,

John.

12. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have the advanced scart lead but the problem is putting it into the plasma...will have to plug it into the convertor by taking the dvd out etc etc,....a bit of hassle though

13. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Harry,

I use the converter on my Sky digibox output - I get good results with it, although of course it is dependent on the quality of the broadcasts. Channel 5 appear to have one of the best quality pictures, whereas ITV can be very poor.:rolleyes: Hope this helps.

Steve

14. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Surely the HD Video Pack (as in 3x RCA Component) for the Xbox would deliver better image quality? Also, without the HD Pack I thought you couldnt get Progressive or HDTV resolutions? Or doesnt the PAL console support HDTV (it supports RGB in its place?). I cant remember if its the XB or the Gamecube thats like that.

Also, Joe F, I believe the Sony Digibox has Svideo out and you meant to say " S-Video, YUV and RGB are all types of Component video."

Matt

15. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mattsimis:
    I'm not expert with XBoxes, but as far as I'm aware you can't use the HD kit with PAL consoles. Therefore, the best you can get out from one is RGB via SCART. There's several "Advanced" SCARTs available, but I know that the Microsoft one seems to give a clean green signal, and hence is the one I recommend.

As for Sony Digitboxes, they don't have S-Video output. They do have digital audio outputs though, SPDIF.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
    E&OE.

16. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

That would make sense then. I heard conflicting things he PAL machines, further confounded by the fact GAME and other retailers were selling the HD kit.

Digibox, you are right the Sony has Digital out but no Svideo. However several of the Grundig models have SVideo:
    http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyDigiboxes.htm#Grundig

Matt

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Matt

I'll go back and edit out Composite - many thanks :)

Joe

18. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joe, heh, made that mistake many time myself!

Just a question re the Advanced Scart connector to a RGB2VGA adapter... that still means you are outputting a 576i signal does it not? So Progressive would elude me.

This is kinda depressing, I was all set to get a Plasma and aim for 576P (at least) for Console\DVD, but now it looks like Im going to be getting the a non progressive scan, downscaled to 480 image and be out of pocket €3600. :(

I have a modded XBox, I shall have to see if there is a way of forcing HD output.

Matt

19. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD kit does work on the PAL Xbox, but it will only give you an interlaced component output. However, if you chip your Xbox, and run a utility to turn on the NTSC portion of the BIOS (this utility is part of the EvolutionX dashboard), you do indeed get progressive scan.

DVD-X, a region-free DVD player, is also included in the EvolutionX dashboard - this can be patched to output a 480p progressive scan image. Produces a very good, if slightly grainy NTSC output, and will also run PAL discs too (though it resizes the image from 576p to 480p so it's not ideal).

20. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats good to hear. Tell me, is this 480p mode software dependant? Ie does the PAL version of an NTSC Game that does support PS work?

MS really should update the Dashboard via XB Live to add support for 576p. Their excuse that it wasnt ratified when designing the player should be moot now.

Matt

21. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about all games that run in PAL 60 will work fine on a NTSC patched Xbox. Alas Halo is not one of them.

Of course, if your Xbox is chipped, you could just switch to buying US Xbox games - the vast majority of them are 480p compliant.

22. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Personally, I don't want to modify my XBox. It mostly gets used for Rallisport challenge anyway!

Matt:
    I have my XBox connected via an Advanced SCART lead (MS) to Sky, then from Sky to my DVD recorder, and finally in to a converter. Essentially, using this method I've connected three RGB sources to my screen and only used one converter.

All the best,

John.