1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PHD8 whine problem (not fan noise)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by skeletons, Oct 21, 2005.

1. skeletons

skeletons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for earlier help in setting up my plasma (42PHD8). I now have what I think is a problem but would appreciate some help.

The fan issue has been raised here but I don't think it's that loud (barely audible in silence from a few feet away). However, there is a high pitched sound (intrusive from a viewing position 10ft away) coming out of the panel, which changes in both volume and pitch as the brightness of the picture changes.

I understand that the issue is likely to be the power supply and that all plasmas have this to some extent. I have spoken to AV-Sales, who say they'll take the set back if I want but in almost all cases this has happened to them there's nothing wrong with the panel and it just goes back again. Obviously, I don't want to go through the pain of returning it if it is normal, or will improve, but equally I don't want to hold on to a set if there is something wrong with it.

Unfortunately, the panel isn't widely available in stores, so getting a comparison isn't easy. So, questions:

1) Should the panel make more, less or the same buzzing as a PV500 (which I can compare as I can see one in a Dixons down the road)
    2) If not, will the noise improve with age, get worse or stay the same?
    3) Anything I can do to mitigate the noise (picture or power settings) or is it just a case of turning up the volume and upsetting the neighbours.

Any help much appreciated.

Simon

TV: Panasonic TH-42PHD8
    DVD: H/K DVD 22
    Tuner: Homechoice
    Receiver: Yamaha RXV-640

2. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
  3. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    1. You can't compare - it's pot luck. Some units will buzz more than others. Also, and this is important - it depend how susceptible your own hearing is. On a particular unit, some people will not hear the buzz, others will!

2. Over time it may get worse - it will never get better. Take out extended warranty to cover year 3 at least. I had a 5 year warranty on a Panasonic 36" CRT and it started buzzing in Year 5 - it was uneconomic for them to fix - I got a cheque for £1250 last December and they kept the set!

3. No, you'll have to live with it or take the chance of a swap-out with AV-Sales.

Bear in mind that the SD PWD8 panel is likely to be less susceptible to buzzing because of the lower currents in that design. But if you've made up your mind for an HD screen - you'll probably have to accept the buzzing and compromise on this.

Gussie :)