42PH10 image size / overscan

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Jules, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Is it me, or are all TV's and displays calibrated at the factory to have more horizontal overscan? i.e. make people look a little fatter than they should!

According to AVIA and DVE calibration discs, my 42PH10 seams to be set the same, i.e. I have to decrease horizontal image size around 3 times more than the vertical image size in order to achieve a 2.5% overscan all round.

In addition, the Monster/ ISF calibration disc shows a picture in picture of what I should be seeing. This PIP shows proportionally less horizontal picture information than I am seeing after calibration.

So, is there some reason for this... is the plasma screen actually a 16:10 ratio rather than 16:9 (I'm not talking about pixel counts, just the physical aspect ratio of the the screen surface).

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No, not true. Are you 100% sure you are in 16/9 mode and not zoom, auto, or other aspect mode? That's a fun trap for the unwary on PH panels. In 16/9 mode, factory overscan is about 5% both ways, easily adjusted to 2.5% or less in position/size menu.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Yes I'm in 16:9 mode. If I simply adjust as per the ovescan test pattern in AVIA and DVE then the PIP on the ISF disc is wrong.
    Either that or I'm mis-interpreting the overscan test patterns... but surely it is as simple as lining up the edges of the rectangual box with all 4 corners of the sreen?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Something's wrong, that's for sure. If the 2 discs are disagreeing, then the screen is not at fault, make sure the player is set up right of course! The aspect setup on a THX DVD might be worth checking back with, you'd have a 2 disc concensus that way. Measure the circle vertically and horizontally, that should be definitive.

5. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Hi Jules,

You mention the PIP on thre ISF test disc looks "wrong" but that the test pattern on DVE looks correct.

The PIPs are just there for your guidnce rather than to be used as part of the test so if you have things right with DVE (which is an accurate OS test) then you are good to go.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I run 0% overscan which can be fun, its also worth chcking the other test patterns too and of course check the settings on source (defulat picture location and overscan can be awful, just be glad with a PH/PW you can adjust it!)