1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PF9986 vs 37PF9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by pdc00, May 6, 2005.

1. pdc00

pdc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have noticed a few comments that the 37PF9986 has better PQ than the 42PF9986 - is this really this case?

On another topic, I currently have a Philips 963SA DVD player. Would I benefit from getting a player with DVI output, or is there little benefit over using RGB SCART?

Thanks a lot
    Phil

2. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has the same resolution on a bigger screen, but besides that i've seen the 42 inch and it looked great, wouldn't doubt so much :)

And yeah dvi will give better picture than through scart!

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 42" has been reviewed as being the worst model in the 9986 range. This, however, is partly due to its size more than anything else. LCD's are a bit unforgiving of poor signals and one this big is going to show more of the undesireable digital artifacts than a smaller screen. If you do go for a screen this size I would recommend you sit at least 10 feet away.

With a DVI feed, however, and with HD inputs, it'll be grand!

Jimmy

4. pdc00

pdc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking on homecinemachoice.com, the reviews seem pretty darned good for both the 37 and the 42. I think I'll end up going for the 37 as it's a lot cheaper than the 42 - I was considering the 42 because unbeatable had an "open box" one for 2999 but someone else snapped it up!

For DVD player I was thinking the Denon DVD1910 or DVD2910... any thoughts?

Cheers
    Phil

5. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    i have the 37inch 9986 and a denon 1910 using dvi and the picture is incredible :

when using dvi input you need a seperate source for sound as dvi is video only so if you have a home cinema amp already then no worries

6. pdc00

pdc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi killer,

I have a Yamaha YSP-1... funky new box combining a Dolby Digital / DTS decoder, amp and 42 speakers which act as 5.1 using a phased array.

The 1910 is a lot cheaper... sounds like it's a good buy.

Cheers
    Phil

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How does that Yammie contraption perform? Have you compared it with a standard Surround System?

Jimmy

8. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    is that that the one box 5.1 system , is it any good i have read good reviews as one box systems go

andy

9. pdc00

pdc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounded impressive in the shop (especially in 2 ch) and is very solidly built...It looks expensive! However I won't be able to test it out properly for a few weeks.. just bought a new flat so have to move all my stuff.

Unfortunately I just blew a lot of money on a fitted bedroom and flooring/carpet etc so it looks like I need to save up for the next few months. Oh well, at least I can wait for the new Philips with Pixel Plus HD, Ambilight 2 and all that...

10. RDA

RDA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I spotted the 42PF9986 on sale at Costco Birmingham for £3524.98 with a 3 year warranty included. This is lower than any the e-retailers on either Shopping.com or Pricerunner.com.

All their inventory is on display and available for comparison. :hiya:

11. wiscosity

wiscosity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is one major difference between the 37" and 42" displays. the 37" model has a contrast ratio of 800:1 while the 42" model is limited to 500:1...

12. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

I believe that a Sharp panel is used for the 37" and a LG panel for the 42" inch, so they are different.

Be aware that most LG panels suffer from a purple-blue tinge when viewed from the side (unlike the Sharp). I don't know if the 42" panel does or not.

I did see the 42" in House of Frasier in Oxford Street but they were showing a poor quality 80's pop video so I can't comment on how the picture looked.