Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

42pe50 pv500 panny side by side view

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by greyhorse, Jun 1, 2005.

1. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    after looking at sd and hd panny 42's side by side there is not a lot in it for pic quality (20% in favour of the HD nodel) both on HD 1080i HD sat and I didnt go wow like i was told I would with HD sat on RGB leads.

On freeview Hd model slightly better than sd IMO.

I think i will still be getting the HD model as I prefer the look with the gloss finish although it looks huge next to the sd model.

On the stand I think they look great, hung on the wall the silver bit that would normally be out of sight in the stand looks pants.

Just my 50cents worth.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    were they both simultanoeusly connected to HD sat?

3. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes using RGB set up.

Viewed in an AV store so I hope they new what they were doing :)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    when you say RGB what exactly do you mean Y, Pb, Pr? or RGB scart?

5. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    component connection

the hd was sharper close up, but at 10 feet it would start to be a hard call on picture quality.

6. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There is a scientific table somewhere which shows that if your viewing distance
    vs screenwidth ratio is equal or larger than 4.0 that a HD screen isn't in favour anymore over a ED screen.

7. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    how do you quantify 20% ?

8. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    it was just better not OTT, wife could hardly tell any differance.

So in my view taking into account price spec, i rate the screen overall 20% better.
    Just my view and as Im sure you know one eye is not the same as all, same goes for ears

9. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ofcourse after she looked at the pricetags :D

10. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    If the PQ is generally comparable, I guess the question to ask is whether you feel that it is worth paying a premium for the PV500 for a little 'future-pr**fing'.

The justification I'm using at the moment to wait for the 'HD ready' screens isn't entirely PQ related but I'm considering it as a form of insurance policy. Paying for 'HD readiness' may not be so necessary now, but since the screen has the right inputs and accepts the 'necessary' feeds through these inputs then it is more likely to extend the productive life of my investment than going for non-HD ready now.

I don't know exactly what sort of sources I'll be viewing in 2 (let alone 5 or 10) years time, to say nothing of the signals they'll be using. However, buying screens which have known issues with some feeds seems like too short term a view. I don't believe I'm going to be in a position to buy a screen now and then another one in 2-3 (even 5) years time, so my investment has to last longer than this and going 'HD ready' seems like the best way to ensure this.

Spending a £couple of hundred now to reduce the chance of needing to be spending a couple of thousand in a few years seems like sense. Assuming I've got my facts right!

11. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree, I wont be rushing out to get sky HD as I refuse to pay even more cash. It will take a few years for blue-ray to be at a price i want to pay for.

I will end up going for the HD Panny as I liked the picture quality, the look of it and I want a plasma on a stand. It looks very neat and tidy. I dont want to hang on a wall.

Please dont take it the wrong way the picture quality on the HD was good better than the Hitachi and the Pioneer which falls in the same price region.
    i viewed the Pioneer at the same time as it was mounted on the wall behind the panny 500.

I think like alll things the hype had taken over and after reading reviews on HD tv that has been compared to the change from BW tv to Colour I felt a little bit let down.

The panny 500 is a good tv, best plasma pic I have seen, with very good connections all round. I would also have to say that the PE50 isnt that far behind it which isnt a bad thing for everyone, just gets over the point that panny really are the No1 for plasma displays. :D IMHO

i have also been told the Panasonic will be cutting prices and want the PE50 to come in at the magic £999 price and the pv500 to retail for under £2000, how long this will take? i wasnt told, this info was from a panny rep who told my local av shop this.

Although Im tired of waiting and think i will just order today as my wife is getting really P****ed off with me, she laughs at me as I have spent more time looking at TVs then when we bought are new house 14 months ago and that cost a few quid more than a telly. LOL

12. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    JL in High Wycombe now have the 37PV500B on display. It's sat in a row between a 42 and 37 inch PE50 and it looks about the same size as the 42PE50!

The surprising thing about is is that as well as the 'case' part of the surround there is also a wide blank, black area of glass between the edge of the pixel part of the display and the surround itself (if that makes sense). This is so large I actually had to ask the assistant whether there was a problem with the screen (he said not) - it looked like my CRT when I have zoomed out on the DVD player. I almost feel that they could fit the 42 inch screen into the same surround! Apparently this branch won't be putting the 42PV500 on display since they don't have room !

The display wasn't exactly being shown to its best advantage. There was a single DMR-ES10 DVD player connected via RGB scart to the 42PE50 which then daisy chained - via RGB scart - to the 37PV500 then onwards to a 37PE50 and finally a Panny LCD display. Whilst I was there, the DVD playing was a Freeview promotional showreel which was mostly clips from TV programmes (Simpsons, Home Improvement, CBeebies...)

Saying that, it looked every bit as good as either of the PE50 sets surrounding it with this signal - the parts of the DVD which were not programme clips (logos, idents etc) were noticeably better on the PV500, but like has been said before not 'orders of magnitude' better. From a viewing distance of 5-6 feet the screen looked a little better throughout, but when I really pressed my nose to the screen it was noticeable that there were fewer blocks or artefacting when close up.

It would have been nice to have the time to see a proper DVD movie, or ask to see it connected up sensibly. For now I'm happy that it gives more than satisfactory rendering of SD, even under less than ideal circumstances (which, let's face facts, is what most of us will have) so at least they have not sacrificed SD PQ in the process of making it HD ready. Hopefully it can only get better from there with better quality feeds.

Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to see some other HD ready screens before too long (roll on the Samsung PS42P5H and PS42S5H for starters)

13. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2