1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PE50 Can you connect it to a PC

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StinkyPete, Oct 5, 2005.

1. StinkyPete

StinkyPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Has anyone connected their PE50 to a PC, and how did you do it.

I normally watch the all the footy free on the PC, not sure if the picture will be more distorted or not though.

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Pete, are you using PPLive? If so, it will look plain horrible on the Pe50 due nothing else but to the size of the screen.

I'm fairly certain you can connect a PC, through component I think, but I don't think the results are that great.

3. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i connect my 37PE50 with a Svideo to scart lead, its ok for dvds and games but watching the football from the PC is gonna look real bad on it, i watch football games on my PC screen. even then the picture looks bad compared with sky football on my PE50.

4. rich22142

rich22142

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, jinkyjim, I thought I was being forced down the 37PV500 route away from the 37PE50 due to the fact I wanted to run my PC through a Plasma and I thought it wasnt possible just looking at the specs.

Can I ask you if the quality is any good for doing things like surfing the net and writing emails...???

As the whole Highdef thing is in its very early stages - if I thought this would give me a half decent picture for doing those kind of things I'd happilly go for the 37PE50 with Cabinet stand and save myself £1000 or so.

Anybody seen any fantastic deals on the 37PE50CAB?

5. StinkyPete

StinkyPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    JL will price match h prestons http://www.videokit.co.uk/cgi-bin/store1/commerce.cgi?product=TELEVISIONS&keywords=Panasonic+Plasma&cart_id={cart_id}
    you can get the pedestal for £1139 and buy a good glass stand from currys for £99 normally £299 or get the 37pe50cab for £1379

6. kdawg

kdawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jinkyjim - have you tried watchign downloaded AVI/DIVX/MPEG4s on the PE50 via your PC? how good/bad/ugly is it?

7. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    HI rich22142, the PE50 is mainly best for DVDS and games, i tried surfing the web and e mails and i had eye strain after about 30 mins , so i wouldn t recommend it for the web.

kdawg, i watched a few AVI videos and the picture was OK, i used powerstrip to get a better resolution and DVDs looked fantastic.

Im really pleased with my 37PE50, for the money its a bargain.

8. StinkyPete

StinkyPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Its great for TV. Its only when connecting a PC does it faulter, mainly because its a standard resolution panel, and PC's work better with higher resolutions

10. StinkyPete

StinkyPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks

I thought is was hd ready, or it will accept the signal and scale it down with hardly any diff?

a couple of sites show th hd ready symbol but then say its not a hd ready screen

11. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    You can input a HD signal, and it will downscale the image to fit the panel. As with all panels, the better the signal quality, the better it will look.

But there is a big difference to watching a HD film, scaled down on your SD TV, which will look really good, to trying to read text from a PC on a low resolution screen, which is not what this panel is designed for.

12. kdawg

kdawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jinkyjim, stupid question, but whats powerstrip?

13. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    powerstrip is software for the PC for control of resolution, try a google search for it, urban t explained it well (You can input a HD signal, and it will downscale the image to fit the panel. As with all panels, the better the signal quality, the better it will look.)

14. rich22142

rich22142

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I see the connection mentioned above to link a PC to a PE50 was "Svideo to a Scart".

Checking my computer I have the following possibilities of outputs:-

Svideo to Scart (as above)
    VGA to Scart
    DVI to Scart

Basically all going to a Scart on my Plasma

Does anybody know the best one to use, for instance would there be any noticeable quality improvement in using DVI to Scart? :lease:

15. Soundless

Soundless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Help please,

Have purchased the 37pe50 (with pedestal and free DMRES10 and also bought Yamaha DVR-S200). I am delighted with my Home Cinema set-up especially since I came in under budget at just £1350 all in.

I have tried to connect an old laptop to the TV and the resloution is poor but for some reason it is coming through as Black and White only. I would like to be able to do light web surfing if possible - have PC with TFT for serious PC work. Any ideas why I am only getting B&W. The graphics on the Laptop is a Mobility Radeon 7500. I have installed Powerstrip as suggested in this threads. I am using Svideo to Scart. Using a £7.99 lead from Maplin but surely that would not effect colour vs B&W?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Soundless

16. norriejam

norriejam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should have your laptop connected to either AV2 or AV3 on the PE50, they are the only scarts on the PE50 which accept an s-video feed.

Then depending on which scart you are connected to press the green button on your remote to get AV2/S or the yellow button to get AV3/S. :thumbsup:

17. maxxx2007

maxxx2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there! :)
    The best way to connect PC to PANASONIC TH42PA50E (PE - how I understands is the same, but for other region) - is using video adapter with component video out. I'l try Gigabyte GF6600GT
    http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/equipment/model.php?man=GigaByte&model=GVN66T128VP

and HIS ATI X800GTO 256Mb ICEq2
    http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=196&view=yes

The best result I get with ATI X800GTO - the HDTV looks great and games are trully amazing - Splinter CELL CHAOS THEORY (1280x720), CALL of DUTY 2 (1280x720), Need for SPEED - MOST WANTED (640x480, BUT FULL ANTIALIASING - not worsier than 1280x720). If someone have another questions - ask! :)

18. rich22142

rich22142

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi maxxx2007,

What connector did you use on your video card to output to your PC. I have a "GeForce4 Ti 4600" Video card and planned to use an S-Video connector to my Plasma. However, it turned out it wasnt S-Video, havent a clue what the hell it is, its very similar looking but with more pins.

The other options i have are the DVI connector and the standard Dpin connector that I could get a dual adaptor.

Did you connect to component connections on your Plasma?

19. maxxx2007

maxxx2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rich22142
    Yes I connect with component Y,PR,PB cable to my plasma. This component video out is come only with new types of video card, and picture looks like on monitor without any distortions and loose any detail.
    If You have only 1 video out - aditional pins on your connector for COMPOSITE TV OUT aditional connector. And You can use standart S-video cable!

20. Soundless

Soundless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the answer, I've been away for a few days with work so I'll try this tonight

Soundless