1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PE30 or 42PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Doctor_AB, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thoroughly confused. Was going to get panny viera which JL agreed to pricematch to 2779 but now am getting recommendations to get PW6 as I already have sky+. What are the pros and cons

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    same thing here mate. Got JL to price match.

Viera is a ready made IDTV raring to go, PW6 is sole panel only but with the flexibility to add boards and better connectivity.

I'm after a telly replacement myself so the Viera is my choice, my only worry is the next breed of Viera's is not that far away.

3. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol I cant decide between the two either...

I think the viera looks really nice, has built in digital tuner/s and integrated speakers but vga port is on front and it doesnt display 720p for some reason (not 100% sure about this though)

panny6 still looks nice but not as nice as the viera, its inexpensive, vga port on back, displays 720p :) and is future proof by buying video cards plus i think it has more options in menu to play about with.

I would buy the viera hands down but i want to connect my xbox and dvd player through component inputs which means paying even more money for a av reciever if i bought the viera :(

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The Viera does have component inputs on the rear on AV4 ?

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Think he is referring to the PW6's ability to have up to four component terminals (3 component cards and VGA port configured for component) each with their own set of adjustments and picture in picture!

To add a bit the pic on the PW6 is a little better and is better suited to Home Cinema PCs, video processors etc (more money!) than the Viera. But the wife won't be able to use it...

6. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The functionality of the Viera outweighs any PQ difference. If feeding prog scan component and using built in freeview tuner the difference is smaller still. I couldn't tell you whether you've made the right choice for your needs but you won't get a 5yr warranty on a monitor and the wife will not be able to get the VCR to work on it either so it sounds like you've got the right one :smashin:

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Liam, do you think they will introduce the HD6 panel into the Viera ?

I know the 50" Viera is the HD panel but I'm a bit nervous they will put this into the 42" Viera in the very near future ? I would love to have the 42PE30 with the additional resolution !

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Probably not in this country. For the PE30 series and the PA20 there has been an XGA 42" that was never available in Europe (the PX20 and the PX30 or PX300). Panasonic Consumer think there's not enough demand to make it economically viable and they like there product range as it is (remember when they wouldn't bring over the swivel desk stands!!!). They are probably right on the demand side of things since your average Curry's customer will always go for the cheaper one and you can't expect a Curry's salesman to be able to explain why the higher res model would be better!!

10. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Decisions decisions. Think may get viera as it appears less daunting just plug and play. Don't really understand component input etc. Might just ring av sales and discus pw6 though.