1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PD7200 @ Comet

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chimpmagnet, Jun 19, 2005.

1. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Comet now have an online price for this at £2095. I've seen it cheaper online but it's good seeing the larger stores selling them at cheaper prices now.

Anyone seen this at a better offer, but with a longer warranty?

2. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Richer sounds are doing this for £1999 or something similar. You can then ask that fab company John Lewis to Price match it. I was seriously considering this model a few weeks ago and JL pricematched it over the phone as they know Richer Sounds is a pretty decent shop. Voila, just under 2 grand and 5 year warranty. :)

3. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Currys online price is £1989.89 for the 7200. Only been out a coupla months and already £500 cheaper!!

4. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm giving this one serious consideration too.
    I've seen it demoed in a shop and it gets a very good picture (I haven't seen any HD stuff on it yet though).

It has a dynamic contrast mode that can be turned off!
    This is a big plus to me as I find these contrast altering modes intensly irritating.
    This is the main thing putting me off the Panasonic PV500 as I find such effects horribly distracting.

I've seen the 42PD7200 online for about £1800 but thet will almost certainly have been 1 year warranty (can't remember where though)

5. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey Daz, yeah I also got JL to price match RS but the crafty buggers wanted £1995 + £60 delivery charge... is that what you got also?

I have also tried to get them to match the 42PV500 at £2189 from RGB Direct (stores in Ilford), but they're having none of it! The PV500 seems like a good deal with the DVD recorder, plus as I'm wall mounting the plasma, the 7200's swivel stand is gonna come off anyway (anyone wanna buy it lol?).

Very little between the 2 anyway.

6. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Chimp,
    When JL pricematched for me, it was with free delivery. Just goes to show how screwy the pricematching policy is.

Wife has just called to let me know my PV500 has arrived. :) The next 4 hours are going to drag....

7. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The dynamic contrast can be turned off under the picture setting menu, changing contrast to "normal" resolves this issue.

8. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    If you do that, does it solve the problem that FlyingBig and one or two others have been discussing ? Sorry, you are referring to the Hitachi not PV500.

9. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey again Daz, mind if I ask how much the PV500 was price matched for?

I have been trying several JL stores to get a price match but they are really stubborn on this one! The cheapest store price I've currently seen is at RGB, for 42PV500 plus wall bracket plus DVD recorder.... £2189.

JL seem to be doing everything to get out of a price match! I do feel for their undersales team though... they're probably being bombarded with requests over these TVs.

10. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Dont know how I managed it but JL pricematched Buy Your AV for £1900 for the 37pv500, dvd recorder and pedestal stand. This was the 4th pricematch I asked from them. Even when they agreed to this pricematch, when I went into the shop the next day, the assistant very nearly added the ped as £150 extra on top of the £1900, as the undersales team had not put it on the system as such. Worth the hassle in the end though.

11. bkny

bkny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL are still investigating this price match (for me anyway), apparently someone was visiting the store this week ...

12. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I must have done about 4 or 5 matches with JL also. Only 1 was successful for the 42PV500 and it wasn't worth it in the end (£2236 only for the TV, no stand/bracket or DVD-R included).

I've also got a couple of requests outstanding with JL for RGB... be interesting to see!! The problem is that RGB have no stock at the moment so if JL visit the store we'll get a no no :nono: straight away :(

Kingston JL are a very hard nut to crack, so I've given up on that branch.

13. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    leeboy was wrong apparently he got his options confused or something.

The dynamic contrast can be turned off on the Hitachi.

As yet no-one has found a solution to turn it off on th PV500.

14. raju

raju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you please tell me from which JL you got the price match for Richer Sound.