1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PD5300 questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TobyS, Dec 3, 2004.

1. TobyS

TobyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please explain to me why my shiny new 5300 is not hi-def whereas the 5200 is? I know the media box occupies the DVI input of the panel, but the box itself has a VGA input. Can't this VGA input accept a 1080i signal? Also, could I use a DVI switch to connect the media box and another DVI device such as a hi-def DVD player to the panel at the same time.

My goal is to buy an AVeL LinkPlayer to watch WM9 hi-def DVDs, which as I understand it outputs hi-def on its D4 connector (D4 > component). Is there a product available that can take a *YUV component signal and output it to VGA or DVI? And if so, would this setup be a viable option for me?

Apologies if I'm being a complete muppet, but you never know until you ask.

Thanks in advance

Toby

*I think the D4 > Component cable is YUV but it could be RGB.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    You can send a 1920*1080 resolution signal from a PC to the VGA port on th tuner box. I've tried it with my PC and a few HD video clips and it looks stunning.

As far as I know, the panel will not acept a signal direct to the DVI port, only the media box can be connected via the DVI port.

HTH

John